Author Topic: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?  (Read 29641 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?
« on: September 23, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
Well, today marks the 20th anniversary of Falling Into Infinity, and it seems Derek took to social media to praise his work on "Lines in the Sand" while also seemingly poking fun at Jordan.  Not sure what kind of relationship they have have, so it might just be in good fun.  But it kinda made me cringe.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:31:46 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
Re: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
(intro and up to the verse)
Wow, what an unnecessary and douchey comment.  :\

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »
He's been doing A LOT of that recently. Just check the SOA thread, there's lots of pots/pages on these comments and more.

As for me, I just lost all my respect for Derek  :tdwn

Btw, I don't really get all the hype on the LITS key intro. The solo on Trial of Tears is miles better, imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »
Well, today marks the 20th anniversary of Falling Into Infinity, and it seems Derek took to social media to praise his work on "Lines in the Sand" while also poking fun at Jordan.  Not sure what kind of relationship Jordan and Derek have, so it might just be all in good fun.  But it kinda made me cringe.

I really hope that's the case.

Derek has been totally (and rightfully) praised for his class since DT let him go. But these posts in the run up to SOA is eroding all of that away.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
Well, today marks the 20th anniversary of Falling Into Infinity, and it seems Derek took to social media to praise his work on "Lines in the Sand" while also poking fun at Jordan.  Not sure what kind of relationship Jordan and Derek have, so it might just be all in good fun.  But it kinda made me cringe.

I really hope that's the case.

Derek has been totally (and rightfully) praised for his class since DT let him go. But these posts in the run up to SOA is eroding all of that away.

Indeed.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 11:38:23 PM »
"You know Derek, I actually wanted you to stay in the band. It was the other guys who wanted you out."

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:13:49 AM by Zook »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 12:21:19 AM »

Yep, 100% gone now, I am so baffled as to why these adults are acting like such children.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 12:35:41 AM »
"You know Derek, I actually wanted you to stay in to band. It was the other guys who wanted you out."

Jesus Christ. I could totally see him saying something like that.

EDIT: That formatted wrong...
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 02:05:53 AM »
Spending too much time with MP, maybe?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 05:41:22 AM »
Derek's only ensuring that I won't financially support his work anymore, not just Sons of Apollo.

You played on one DT album 20 years ago, we get it, Lines In The Sand has your signature lead sound. But that doesn't even come close to my top 20 DT songs. Anything else you can be proud of since the 90s? I can think of half a dozen keyboardists off the top of my head who can write (and play) circles around this self-proclaimed "king of keys."

What a douche.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 07:04:14 AM »
Derek's only ensuring that I won't financially support his work anymore, not just Sons of Apollo.

You played on one DT album 20 years ago, we get it, Lines In The Sand has your signature lead sound. But that doesn't even come close to my top 20 DT songs. Anything else you can be proud of since the 90s? I can think of half a dozen keyboardists off the top of my head who can write (and play) circles around this self-proclaimed "king of keys."

What a douche.

Not only did he play on one album, he played on what is IMO their worst album. If it wasn't for ACoS, his run in the band would have been even more uneventful.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »

Yep.  He has generally always been seen as the keyboardist who didn't get a long enough run to prove his real worth, while being wedged in between the band's two classic players (Moore and Rudess), yet handled his ouster with class and grace, and he has basically nuked that narrative in the last few months.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
Sometimes I wonder, as many rock musicians have been basically living the same life since their teens, are they still mentally stuck in that age? Derek's tweets seem to confirm that theory.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
I mentioned this in the other thread but in a way I agree with Derek.  I think Jordan has relied too much on ipads or whatever the latest app was simply because it was new.  That said, Derek is completely classless for saying this the way he did.  It has killed most of the excitement I had for his new project with Mike.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
I mentioned this in the other thread but in a way I agree with Derek. I think Jordan has relied too much on ipads or whatever the latest app was simply because it was new.  That said, Derek is completely classless for saying this the way he did.  It has killed most of the excitement I had for his new project with Mike.

I wouldn't call it "relied on". I just think that it is just Jordan's thing. It's who he is and what he does.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 01:59:38 PM »
I mentioned this in the other thread but in a way I agree with Derek. I think Jordan has relied too much on ipads or whatever the latest app was simply because it was new.  That said, Derek is completely classless for saying this the way he did.  It has killed most of the excitement I had for his new project with Mike.

I wouldn't call it "relied on". I just think that it is just Jordan's thing. It's who he is and what he does.

Perhaps you're right.  But I do think he relies on new technology in order to try to keep his position in the band exciting at least to him.  I would rather he stick to more traditional keyboard sounds so that when he does find an app or patch or whatever that is new and unique it will be that much more cool rather than just saying, "Hey, I've just got this new app.  I'm going to fit it in to some song somewhere." 

Again, personal preference.  I still think he is an excellent keyboard player and integral to the Dream Theater sound.  I just wish he would scale it back a bit in regards to new technology. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
   I still think he is an excellent keyboard player and integral to the Dream Theater sound. I just wish he would scale it back a bit in regards to new technology.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. This is why I liked The Astonishing so much. I've been pleading for more piano.

Offline Cable

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »
I prefer just piano as a whole too. However, I would bet the farm that JP has used a different effect brand or sound on every album.
---

Offline Evai

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »
The equivalent for JP would be him busting out sitars, electronic midi guitars, and the miku pedal on various songs though :)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »
I honestly thought those were all keyboard sounds.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »

Perhaps you're right.  But I do think he relies on new technology in order to try to keep his position in the band exciting at least to him.  I would rather he stick to more traditional keyboard sounds so that when he does find an app or patch or whatever that is new and unique it will be that much more cool rather than just saying, "Hey, I've just got this new app.  I'm going to fit it in to some song somewhere." 

Again, personal preference.  I still think he is an excellent keyboard player and integral to the Dream Theater sound.  I just wish he would scale it back a bit in regards to new technology.

Be-bot solo...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grizz

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 07:29:11 AM »
The guy calls Jordan's apps "CheeseWiz" and you guys take it personally?

Jesus Christ.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »

Jesus Christ.

He's said worse on twitter about JLB.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »

Yeah, Jordan and that idiot Les Paul...  He should have stuck with traditional guitar sounds and not strung up that 4x4.  What was he thinkin'?

I don't think it hurts at all having his latest app up there.  It's just another noisemaker in the end, not much different that the first moogs.  It's always been that way with music -- all the way back probably to the revolutionary who started blowing through a hollow stick.  Some of it works, some of it doesn't.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 08:12:50 AM »

Jesus Christ.

???  Who is taking it personally?  I don't see anything close to someone taking it personally.  I think you are reading too much into this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »
Being annoyed by dumb jokes/jabs =/= taking it personally.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
Being annoyed by dumb jokes/jabs =/= taking it personally.

BINGO. That's been me through all this DS stuff SoA related and now this. I'm not taking it personally, but I think it's annoying and childish and it's definitely affecting my excitement for his upcoming work.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »
Derek certainly has...a pointed sense of humor. What I'd find interesting is if someone shot back at him a few jabs "all in good fun."  :lol

Then we'd really see whether he meant it or not, depending on his response.

Derek is a better songwriter and player than he is given credit for. Jordan, however, while my least favorite of DT's three keyboardists, is, IMO, the best musician of the three, and most innovative (whether you like all the tech nor not).

re: CheeseWiz -  :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 11:55:31 AM »
Derek certainly has...a pointed sense of humor. What I'd find interesting is if someone shot back at him a few jabs "all in good fun."  :lol

Then we'd really see whether he meant it or not, depending on his response.

Derek is a better songwriter and player than he is given credit for. Jordan, however, while my least favorite of DT's three keyboardists, is, IMO, the best musician of the three, and most innovative (whether you like all the tech nor not).

re: CheeseWiz -  :rollin

I kinda agree Jordan is definitely very well Musically educated but sometimes his implementation of the style with Dream theater sounds to elaborate but that is just my opinion. But I will say he is my favorite Keyboardist of all the three, I just don't like it when he improvises over Kevin Moore Solos.

Some times less is more.

But hey that is just my opinion.
And she listens openly

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 01:05:08 PM »
Derek is a better songwriter and player than he is given credit for.

Except most of the songs on his solo work and planet x is written by virgil donati and brian tichy...

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »
As far as this and the stuff he's been posting on twitter....

Take shots at DT all you want, it doesn't bother me. But make a band called "Sons of Apollo" and an album called "Psychotic Symphony" with the guy who sang for Yngwie Malmsteen and complain about CHEESE?? ??

Give me a break...  :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »

I don't think it hurts at all having his latest app up there.  It's just another noisemaker in the end, not much different that the first moogs.  It's always been that way with music -- all the way back probably to the revolutionary who started blowing through a hollow stick.  Some of it works, some of it doesn't.

That was actually my point.  Only difference is there is a new app every day that Jordan is playing with.  Some of these apps are a far cry from a moog. 

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »
As far as this and the stuff he's been posting on twitter....

Take shots at DT all you want, it doesn't bother me. But make a band called "Sons of Apollo" and an album called "Psychotic Symphony" with the guy who sang for Yngwie Malmsteen and complain about CHEESE?? ??

Give me a break...  :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
Meanwhile, JR is a class act and would never pull any crap like that.

Offline Evai

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 01:52:37 AM »
Meanwhile, JR is a class act and would never pull any crap like that.

Never underestimate your heroes ability to disappoint you  :metal
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.