Author Topic: Eddie Van Halen’s musical potential wasted by fans  (Read 5004 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Eddie Van Halen’s musical potential wasted by fans
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 08:50:07 AM »
Carnal Knowledge has a few skippers for me, but also has some of my most played VH songs (Poundcake, Judgment Day, Pleasure Dome and Right Now).

OU812, as I stated in the other VH thread a while back, has aged really well for me. I used to consider it one of their two or least best records, but now I put it in the upper half.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
Second, if you listen to the demos from which a few of those songs came (in one case, a demo from 1976-ish) they didn't change the key OR tempo.  In my view, that's pretty damn good, especially with all the criticism of Roth.   He sang it like he did (and in one case, Big River) better than he did in the day

To be fair, Roth was never a good singer and it shows on those demos. He needed a producer to get great performances out of him. His delivery on ADKOT is pretty good but I would've liked to hear what Templeman would've gotten out of him.

I like the first two Sammy records a lot. FUCK is pretty good but it's never been a go-to. I want to like Balance, it has a few great songs, a great sound, an interesting darker vibe, but so much of it is a mess.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 09:57:36 AM »
For me FUCK is the best Sammy record by a mile.

I think they went mostly for old demos for ADKOT because they needed something DLR could sing. The leftover stuff from the Sammy era would have to be rearranged a lot and probably Dave refused to use something from that period on principle.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
it wasn't bad, although it still came across as polished Bar Rock, which sounds like an oxymoron, but somehow it makes sense.

That's the best description I ever heard.

Polished Bar Rock.

I gotta say though I loved the album. Maybe I just like polished bar rock.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »
Bar Rock is just a different way of saying "Party Rock," which is what I have often described Van Halen as.