Author Topic: Managers, Supervisors, and just all around organized and responsible peeps....  (Read 4340 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
So... I had an informal 1 on 1 with our property manager we work for (basically who our company answers to at this account). She's already praising me, talking about how excited she is that I am going to be running things. I think.. I think that is a great sign :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Is she hawt?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
To be quite honest, she is not bad looking. A bit seasoned, but nothing wrong with that. Also... she's got a great rack...

I've already developed a great working relationship over the last 5 years, so she already knows my work ethic, and I already know exactly what to expect from her.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like you got everything in the right place for you to succeed, just got to do your thing.  Be confident and set a good example for the people under you.  You got this.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like you got everything in the right place for you to succeed, just got to do your thing.  Be confident and set a good example for the people under you.  You got this.

Couldn't of said it better myself

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
I've dealt with so much bullshit over the last 27 days. The latest being a cut in hours at one of our accounts, which meant I had to let someone know they no longer had a job, as we had no other places to put him. (I also made a phone call to a good friend of mine who happens to be an account manager for another company, and within 2 hours of having to tell him he was cut, I had a job interview lined up for him).

It's been a crazy month, but I received this  email in response to something and it made my day:

Great work on this Jeremy.

I know you have been busy with alot of stuff.  I really appreciate all you do and I'm very happy to have you as the post supervisor at Seabridge. 

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
That type of stuff is always great to hear, it sounds like you're busting ass but making some good changes.

Also you're a good dude for getting the guy you had to let go an interview at another place.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
So I might be getting another promotion semi soonish.

My boss has been trying to pick up another account (about the same size as the account I currently run) for a while. He's one step closer to nailing it. If we get it, I'd have to hire a supervisor for that account, and I'd get promoted up to an Area Supervisor to oversee both (technically all 3) accounts in the area.

:JayOctavarium:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Soooo...what you've described is basically you're being promoted to a role you really aren't sure how to be succesaful with. Welcome to the Peter Principle of the corporate world.
Wherein the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence". And the company will basically take you from a role where you've obviously proven to be successful, thereby losing your current productivity as well in the process.

Congratulations?

... and good luck.

My best advice...study all you can on servant leadership. That model has proven to get optimum results for highly effective leaders; and find yourself a mentor or someone you can trust to bounce ideas off of, and from whom you can learn from in a honest environment.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Soooo...what you've described is basically you're being promoted to a role you really aren't sure how to be succesaful with. Welcome to the Peter Principle of the corporate world.

I seem to recall a thread on that recently  :lol

(as an aside, I always thought "the Peter Principle" sounded like the punchline of a dirty joke)

Whenever you get promoted, remember that you've been promoted to do the new job, not the new job AND your old job...and don;t assume that what made you successful in the old role means you will be successful in the new one.  Each new responsibility means new skills and new areas of focus.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni

My best advice...study all you can on servant leadership. That model has proven to get optimum results for highly effective leaders; and find yourself a mentor or someone you can trust to bounce ideas off of, and from whom you can learn from in a honest environment.

At this point, that has been my boss. He's really taken me under his wing.  I'm also going to start bouncing ideas off of a guy who just got promoted up to an Account Manager from Area Supervisor. I guess technically he's also my boss, but he doesn't really get involved in my account as much as he does others.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Super late and reading through, but I wanted to say the EB's first response is what I'd recommend. Nothing beats a hand written list, at least for me.

EDIT: Seems I'm even later than I thought. :facepalm:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
Super late and reading through, but I wanted to say the EB's first response is what I'd recommend. Nothing beats a hand written list, at least for me.

EDIT: Seems I'm even later than I thought. :facepalm:

I'm gonna have to write you up for that. Tardiness is not acceptable.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol My boss would love to have that

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
There's also talk of taking me off of guard duty all together and putting me in an admin office on the property to just handle admin bullshit.

As it is right now, I spend my day in the front office, doing my admin shit, as well as the regular guard shit. It's getting to the point where I have no time to deal with the regular day to day bullshit as well as everything else.

That would be interesting, and a cool first step towards an area supervisor gig.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
You seem to do a lot of shit.  Literally. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, no shit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
So I am not a strait up manager on paper or anything, but I do have to oversee technicians and make sure medications get up to the floors and that work flow continues.

But anyway, here goes todays story. Patient is in the ER and has a GI bleed and is ordered a drip. Now is this like a super stat med where if they don't have it immediately do they die? No, but I personally think its bullshit if a patient is bleeding internally should have to wait longer than they need to, but the IV room technician really doesn't give a shit, and it infuriates me.

I print the label and tell the "counter" tech to go give it to IV tech and she does. So like 15 mins goes by and I figure its done so I get up to go get it and there's the god damn IV tech not even in the IV room, leaning against the counter sipping her coffee and shooting the shit with a co-worker. She didn't even start yet...

Now I need to say that I need to watch my ass with these people, because they will go to HR in heartbeat, so I politely say "hey, did you happen to see the label for the drip?" and she gives me this dirty look and with an attitude goes "yeah, I saw it". I was was pissed, but you have to swallow it at my job, or you will be at HR real fast.

It drives me crazy. Its not like we work at Kmart. Its a god damn hospital. Things need to get done when they need to get done so do your fucking job. 

TL:DR   I hate having to manage lazy, complacent and entitled people.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:28:09 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Fuck them. As long as you remain professional, the goal is the patient care. So they go to HR and say you were upset because they were shooting the shit instead of taking care of the patient. Let 'em.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I don't know; I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV, but I feel like even if it isn't life or death, your coffee will wait while that person lies in bed bleeding from their intestines wondering if they're going to die or not.  The medicine may not save their life, but it may give them some mental comfort that someone cares about them, and it'll ultimately be ok. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
There's also talk of taking me off of guard duty all together and putting me in an admin office on the property to just handle admin bullshit.

As someone who spent 7 years running a hotel which included cleaning pools, doing renovations, covering shifts my dummy employees wouldn't show up for I say do it. I have a desk job and it's the best. I also have a great sense of what it is like putting in back to back to back to back 12 hour days that it makes me appreciate my desk job that much more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So I am not a strait up manager on paper or anything, but I do have to oversee technicians and make sure medications get up to the floors and that work flow continues.

But anyway, here goes todays story. Patient is in the ER and has a GI bleed and is ordered a drip. Now is this like a super stat med where if they don't have it immediately do they die? No, but I personally think its bullshit if a patient is bleeding internally should have to wait longer than they need to, but the IV room technician really doesn't give a shit, and it infuriates me.

I print the label and tell the "counter" tech to go give it to IV tech and she does. So like 15 mins goes by and I figure its done so I get up to go get it and there's the god damn IV tech not even in the IV room, leaning against the counter sipping her coffee and shooting the shit with a co-worker. She didn't even start yet...

Now I need to say that I need to watch my ass with these people, because they will go to HR in heartbeat, so I politely say "hey, did you happen to see the label for the drip?" and she gives me this dirty look and with an attitude goes "yeah, I saw it". I was was pissed, but you have to swallow it at my job, or you will be at HR real fast.

It drives me crazy. Its not like we work at Kmart. Its a god damn hospital. Things need to get done when they need to get done so do your fucking job. 

TL:DR   I hate having to manage lazy, complacent and entitled people.

The sad reality is, these sorts of people come around more and more as time goes on.  I hate dealing with them too.  Fucking scum.  The ones I deal with are casual, so if they are smartass, lazy fuckers, luckily I can fuck them off.  I don't take shit.

These sorts of people you are dealing with in your field is not on.  DO your job as Tim said and remain professional and they can go fuck themselves.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
:bump:

So one thing I wanted to do when I took over was to cut Overtime given out.

Before I took over, my account averaged like 50+ hours of Overtime a pay period (approx 15 days per pay period).

Last pay period we were at 31.

Working on payroll for this pay period and I show 9.5.

I think I am earning my keep! :JayOctavarium:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
:bump:

So one thing I wanted to do when I took over was to cut Overtime given out.

Before I took over, my account averaged like 50+ hours of Overtime a pay period (approx 15 days per pay period).

Last pay period we were at 31.

Working on payroll for this pay period and I show 9.5.

I think I am earning my keep! :JayOctavarium:

People abuse overtime.  Overtime can get out of control if a manager is not managing.  Overtime is useful and needed at times, but yeah, staff will surely taken advantage of it.  50+ is definitely too much so 9.5 seems like a reasonable amount.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.