Author Topic: Frank Zappa Hologram  (Read 1944 times)

Offline kaos2900

Frank Zappa Hologram
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:28:21 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/frank-zappa-hologram-tour-coming-next-year/

WTF. I can't imagine that Frank would be cool with this. Screw Ahmet.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Frank Zappa Hologram
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
I gotta say, while I am not a fan of Zappa, I do appreciate his work. And this is wrong. Just let Dwezil do what he does to honor his dad, and leave the dead at rest.

I hate they are doing this with DIO too. Wendy should be ashamed of herself.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »
That is fucking stupid
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
If I want to see a hologram artist, it'll be this...

https://youtu.be/XyTmXLWCazw
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »
Isn't this happening with Dio too?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »
OH COME ON. This is getting out of hand.

It's a miracle people thought about doing it with Dio and Zappa before Freddie Mercury. Is this gonna be the future? People 50 years from now will see holograms of Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen?

For the record, I think that the Dio hologram at Wacken, the worldwide capital of heavy metal, was just fine. ONE concert, ONE very special occasion, ONE song to remind everyone how it was like. Tht was fine. An entire tour of that? no. Live music is, well, LIVE. There are DVDs for pre-existing recordings.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »
Anything to accumulate more round pieces of metal and pieces of paper and/or polymer, I suppose.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
Fuck this gabage.

Frank would NEVER tolerate this bullshit.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:49:47 PM »
I'll be the outlier here on this one. As a major Zappa fan that probably owns about thirty five of his albums and that never got to see him live. While I too am not at all of fan of this bullshit. This is the one that I would spend good money to see. That lineup mentioned of assembled awesome musicians would be worth seeing play live any day of the friggin week. That lineup is what Dweezil should have been doing from day one, instead of just parading a couple of them out here and there to boost ticket sales or make a dvd that would sell a few copies. His ego has kept him from giving up too much of the spotlight IMO. So I'm all for those guys touring together with or without the stupid hologram. That's my 2 cents.   

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 06:40:39 PM »
I'll be the outlier here on this one. As a major Zappa fan that probably owns about thirty five of his albums and that never got to see him live. While I too am not at all of fan of this bullshit. This is the one that I would spend good money to see. That lineup mentioned of assembled awesome musicians would be worth seeing play live any day of the friggin week. That lineup is what Dweezil should have been doing from day one, instead of just parading a couple of them out here and there to boost ticket sales or make a dvd that would sell a few copies. His ego has kept him from giving up too much of the spotlight IMO. So I'm all for those guys touring together with or without the stupid hologram. That's my 2 cents.

On the contrary, regarding musicians I think what Dweezil has been doing is more in the spirit of his father wich was finding (and drilling) great players. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »

On the contrary, regarding musicians I think what Dweezil has been doing is more in the spirit of his father wich was finding (and drilling) great players.
Yup. Zappa was always bringing in fresh talent. There's a reason the Roxy band didn't last forever. Seeing something like this makes me wonder if Ahmet even understands what his father was all about.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 10:58:44 PM »

And insofar as ego goes Dweezil was quite content to be in the background. When I saw him last year the folk in his band were the stars, not him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »
I think this is a way for Ahmet to get in the Zappa money game and beat Dweezil. Hopefully he doesn't succeed.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 08:06:31 AM »
I think this is a way for Ahmet to get in the Zappa money game and beat Dweezil. Hopefully he doesn't succeed.

This. I'm anxiously awaiting Dweezil's response to this. :corn

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »
He replied this yesterday...

Hi Everyone,
People have been asking me about my thoughts on the Frank Zappa hologram tour. For now, this will get the point across.
https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/othersofintention
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »
Seems like the expected reaction.

The whole thing is sad. I'm pretty sure Frank wanted his family to get out of the business when he died, it seems like this is exactly what he didn't want to happen.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 08:18:30 PM »
I like that...I hate holograms bundle.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 01:38:32 AM »
Surely part of the joy of Frank's live shows was the unpredictability and the improvisation? A hologram can't do that, it can only do exactly the same thing every night.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 07:03:27 AM »
Love the No Fake Frank shirt. I hope no one supports this and that all of the old band members join up with Dweezil.