Author Topic: Lee Douglas or anneke van giersbergen. Who has a better voice?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Bertie_Wooster

Lee Douglas or anneke van giersbergen. Who has a better voice?
« on: September 20, 2017, 09:53:11 PM »
Somebody mentioned Vuur in the sons of apollo thread and I hadn't heard of them.  I watched their video and wow what a singer she is!!
I could easily see her singing for DT. Anyway I also like Anathema and for the life of me I don't know why they don't have Lee Douglas sing
lead on every one of their songs.   I can't decide which of them I like better. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Lee Douglas or anneke van giersbergen. Who has a better voice?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:13:50 PM »
I am not familiar with Lee Douglas, but as far as Anneke goes, if that song by Vuur is the first you've heard of her, that isn't even scratching the surface!  :coolio

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:16:38 PM »
If the question is Anneke vs. X. Anneke always wins.

And yea, she is good in that song by Vuur, but it's like judging John Petrucci from Anna Lee.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
I'm not familiar with Lee Douglas either but Anneke is one of my favorite singers, she's awesome. I knew about her from "The Gentle Storm", I've loved everything I've listen from her so far.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:27:21 PM »
I have definitely gone one a binge of Anneke's music.   I like all of the different styles of music she puts out.  I can't believe I have never heard of her before.  She is like the Sarah Brightman of heavy metal.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 11:58:43 PM »

This. I've always said Anneke could sing the phone book or dictionary to me and I would be perfectly happy.

Now, having said that, Lee Douglas also has an amazing voice. Her vocals on Weather Systems always gives me chills. Or any of her vocals really....except the new Anathema album, which is probably the biggest let down of the year....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 04:21:24 AM »
Only know some of the live albums/ Blu Rays Anneke has done with Devin Townsend and like her a lot  :hefdaddy.

On all of her other stuff - where should I start?

Offline w_marano

• : never give up, it's such a wonderful life :
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 04:57:45 AM »
Only know some of the live albums/ Blu Rays Anneke has done with Devin Townsend and like her a lot  :hefdaddy.

Her work with The Gathering is amazing! Mandylon and Nighttime Birds, the first two albuns she recorded with them are good examples how she is the best female vocalist of our days! 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 06:06:44 AM »
I prefer Lee's voice. I always get the chills when she sings, partly because of how she pours tons of emotion when she delivers. I like Anneke's Voice but the vibratto she uses sometimes gets on my nerves. Inwas just listening to her last solo album yesterdray, Drive, and thats what turned me off a bit. The album itself is pretty good. I do love Anneke's voice when she sings for Devin.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 06:56:47 AM »
Lee by a mile for me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 07:50:41 AM »
Love both, but gotta go with Lee.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »
Anneke. I remember listening to some Devin songs like Bend It Like Bender! and Hyperdrive! on repeat for hours just because of her voice.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 08:28:12 AM »
I like Anneke's Voice but the vibratto she uses sometimes gets on my nerves. Inwas just listening to her last solo album yesterdray, Drive, and thats what turned me off a bit. The album itself is pretty good. I do love Anneke's voice when she sings for Devin.

It's the same for me. I really like the sound of her voice but she uses way too much vibrato for my tastes. That being said, I haven't heard everything and maybe she doesn't use it as much on some things. Will check out Vuur eventually and see what I think.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 08:37:18 AM »
Not familiar with Lee.  Where should I start?

As for Anneke, I actually don't really care for her voice.  I acknowledge that she's a fantastic singer.  But I just personally don't like her style.  I do fairly like what I heard of Vuur though.  For some reason, her voice seems to fit better with the music they do and provide a nice contrast to the guitar sound.  I still think I would enjoy them more with a different singer, but what I heard is still pretty good and I will probably pick up the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 08:40:16 AM »
Not familiar with Lee.  Where should I start?

As for Anneke, I actually don't really care for her voice.  I acknowledge that she's a fantastic singer.  But I just personally don't like her style.  I do fairly like what I heard of Vuur though.  For some reason, her voice seems to fit better with the music they do and provide a nice contrast to the guitar sound.  I still think I would enjoy them more with a different singer, but what I heard is still pretty good and I will probably pick up the album.

I'd say work from A Natural Disaster upward for Anathema.  She's on some earlier discs, but AFAIK in a more limited capacity.  The title track to AND is one of my favorites for her, but as the band progressed her voice has gotten even stronger.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 08:45:51 AM »
I'm only familiar with Weather Systems and Distant Satellites but I would highly recommend Lightning Song from Weather Systems for hearing Lee's voice. So beautiful.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 10:05:08 AM »
my favorite song Lee sings is "endless ways" from Anathema's new album especially at the end of the song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
Heard a couple of tracks on YouTube this morning.  Lee is definitely a talented singer.  But the songs I heard were all relatively light.  Can anyone direct me to something that rocks a bit and has some heaviness to it?  Or is that not Anathema's thing?

On another note, maybe we need an extended "best female metal vocalist?" thread/poll.  I think we've sort of had more limited threads in the past, or threads were people have asked for recommendations.  But I don't know that we've ever really had an extended thread dedicated to discussing many of the modern female vocalists together (Floor, Simone, Lee, Anneke, Tarja, Sharon, Amy Lee, etc.).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
Now I want a duet with these two.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »
Heard a couple of tracks on YouTube this morning.  Lee is definitely a talented singer.  But the songs I heard were all relatively light.  Can anyone direct me to something that rocks a bit and has some heaviness to it?  Or is that not Anathema's thing?
Anathema hasn't been metal in almost 20 years, but out of the Lee-driven songs on the newer albums Lightning Song is probably the most rocking.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 11:51:54 AM »
Compare them both on the same song...

Lee- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0tkGtYpKJ0

Anneke- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7BbL9LPY80

As much as I love them both, the overall edge goes to Anneke for me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 11:52:45 AM »
Discover Anneke the way I did, with her side project with Anthony Lucassen - The Gentle Storm's The Diary.

I lknew who she was, but that album made me fall in love with her voice. Also, you get to hear Arjen's music which is always a good thing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »

I give lee the edge on that song but Anneke can do things she can’t

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »

I still say Lee.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
Solo without danny singing

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
Solo without danny singing

Well, you gotta do Vinny's parts one way or another.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »

And yea, she is good in that song by Vuur, but it's like judging John Petrucci from Anna Lee.

This. Plus, Anneke is really a very, very versatile singer which is something that really gives her an edge (to me, naturally).

Offline krands85

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »
I'm not familiar with Anneke, but I love Anathema and Lee Douglas. Her voice is absolutely beautiful, either in the studio or live.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 11:16:30 PM »

Her work with The Gathering is amazing! Mandylon and Nighttime Birds, the first two albuns she recorded with them are good examples how she is the best female vocalist of our days!

Thanks! I will check these two albums out!

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 11:18:45 PM »
Discover Anneke the way I did, with her side project with Anthony Lucassen - The Gentle Storm's The Diary.

I lknew who she was, but that album made me fall in love with her voice. Also, you get to hear Arjen's music which is always a good thing.

Going to listen to this, too. Wasn't she one of the singers on The Human Equation also? I only have The Theater Equation (the live version), but she's not on there...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »

Going to listen to this, too. Wasn't she one of the singers on The Human Equation also? I only have The Theater Equation (the live version), but she's not on there...

Backwards. She's not on The Human Equation, but she's on the live one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 11:51:16 PM »

Backwards. She's not on The Human Equation, but she's on the live one.

Damn, you are right! So I have more stuff on my iPod festuring Anneke than only Devin stuff!  :biggrin: