Author Topic: Bias lighting  (Read 1174 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Bias lighting
« on: March 07, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »
Does anybody have bias lights set up behind your TV? I have been reading a lot about these over the last couple years and just bought a simple kit on Amazon for $13 today and should have it tomorrow. I'm curious to finally see how it affects my viewing. I've always wanted to watch my TV in the dark but the nuclear bright lights from the TV become painful to look at (and I've also noticed some burn-in recently which sucks). Maybe this way I'll finally be able to watch Westworld, Better Call Saul, etc. without a lamp :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

Re: Bias lighting
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »
I don't, but I simply but a lamp behind my monitor when I watch shows on my computer  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:18:37 AM »
I don't, but I simply but a lamp behind my monitor when I watch shows on my computer  :D

That's a good idea, I'd do that if I had room  :lol I ordered this and I hope it's as cool as it looks. First thing I'm gonna watch is the season 7 Game of Thrones finale :P
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:26:27 AM »
Never heard of anything like this, but those lights look funky!
Wouldn't adjusting the brightness of your TV/monitor have a similar effect? Most modern screens are set way too bright by default (and way too blue tinted), especially for night time viewing. I've calibrated my monitor to the recommended settings, and do most of my viewing in the dark, and don't have any real issues with strain.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 08:32:41 AM »
Never heard of anything like this, but those lights look funky!
Wouldn't adjusting the brightness of your TV/monitor have a similar effect? Most modern screens are set way too bright by default (and way too blue tinted), especially for night time viewing. I've calibrated my monitor to the recommended settings, and do most of my viewing in the dark, and don't have any real issues with strain.

This article does a good job of explaining it.  I've noticed when watching my TV in a completely dark room that unless I turn the brightness/contrast WAY down, my eyes get fatigued and I can actually feel the strain in them when a scene cuts from dark to light, or even fades to a bright white light, I have to squint and even look away sometimes. And turning the settings down just makes it less enjoyable (if I sleep with the TV on I'll set the brightness all the way down though). So, I'm hoping with this set that when a film cuts between scenes, say from a really dark scene to a really bright scene, it'll be less strenuous on my eyes. Even after calibrating the TV's settings, I'd have to turn on the floor lamp to cut out that strain, so hopefully I can avoid that with these!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
I know the theory, but at my monitor brightness, I have no problems with strain, or with it looking too dim. Also, being a graphics monitor, I have a monitor hood specifically to block out all external lighting, so lighting behind it would be completely useless to try. :lol
Hopefully it helps you though, because watching stuff in the dark is one of life's simple pleasures.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 12:52:47 PM »
I know the theory, but at my monitor brightness, I have no problems with strain, or with it looking too dim. Also, being a graphics monitor, I have a monitor hood specifically to block out all external lighting, so lighting behind it would be completely useless to try. :lol
Hopefully it helps you though, because watching stuff in the dark is one of life's simple pleasures.

Wait until your old you son of a....... :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »
They came in yesterday. The lights look dimmer in the photo since this is purple, but trust me, they make such a difference. Didn't have to turn on the lights at all last night, and I was able to use the TV for a few hours in the dark with no eye strain, and felt great the entire time. 16 different colors, various modes, can adjust the brightness levels and how quickly it shifts colors in the modes. When I first plugged it in they went off on this crazy rainbow strobe pattern which was amusing, but the solid colors are the best. $15 got me all the lights, the remote, adhesive strips and the 80-inch LED strip which was just enough to go around my 42" TV (on the sides and across the top). I definitely recommend picking them up, they're worth it. At the end of the night I left mine on bright/light blue, seems to be the brightest color.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »
Sexiest color.  :heart