Author Topic: Who were the best "hair" band? Why?  (Read 15968 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Who were the best "hair" band? Why?
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
I didn't really care for Dog Eat Dog.  Maybe it was just because it was such a departure back then.  It could be something I would appreciate more now, but I don't recall a thing about it. 

I bought the first Firehouse album and thought it was okay.  But I didn't like it enough to bother with the second one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2017, 03:05:18 PM »
I didn't really care for Dog Eat Dog.  Maybe it was just because it was such a departure back then.  It could be something I would appreciate more now, but I don't recall a thing about it. 

I bought the first Firehouse album and thought it was okay.  But I didn't like it enough to bother with the second one.

I probably play Dog Eat Dog more than the first two albums. The one after that went grunge and was pretty shit.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »
Definitely not Ratt. They were a flash in the pan. They had one headline arena tour in 1985.

Bon Jovi is the answer, even though while I don't really consider them a hair band, they were responsible for Hair Metal's success.

Other than that, you're looking at Motley Crue and Poison.

I liked Ratt a lot, but you're right.  Their success was very short lived.  If I'm not mistaken, Bon Jovi actually opened for Ratt on that 1985 Tour.  That's the only time I saw Bon Jovi live.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »
Definitely not Ratt. They were a flash in the pan. They had one headline arena tour in 1985.

Bon Jovi is the answer, even though while I don't really consider them a hair band, they were responsible for Hair Metal's success.

Other than that, you're looking at Motley Crue and Poison.

I liked Ratt a lot, but you're right.  Their success was very short lived.  If I'm not mistaken, Bon Jovi actually opened for Ratt on that 1985 Tour.  That's the only time I saw Bon Jovi live.

You're correct Steve. Bon Jovi did open that tour. 7800. I didn't go. I remember it well though. I thought Ratt sucked. I did see Bon Jovi  open for Scorpions the previous year though.

Bon Jovi was fantastic live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2017, 04:17:07 PM »
 I first saw Bon Jovi opening up for the Scorpions on The Love at First Sting tour.  I agree with Tim.  I had my own favorites but they never lasted. One or two albums and gone.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »
Just to jump on the bandwagon with some of these...

Firehouse debut was killer; Hold Your Fire had it's moments, but was mostly mediocre.  Everything after was shit.
Warrant - Dog Eat Dog was their peak ... don't know much of what came after.  Uncle Tom's Cabin is one of the greatest songs from this group of bands.

Slaughter was another one that had two terrific first albums, but then fell off after that.  I didn't re-discover them until a few years back, and was pleasantly surprised at the rest of their 90s output.  Mark just released a solo EP about a month ago ... it's "solid".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »

Firehouse debut was killer; Hold Your Fire had it's moments, but was mostly mediocre.  Everything after was shit.
Warrant - Dog Eat Dog was their peak ... don't know much of what came after.  Uncle Tom's Cabin is one of the greatest songs from this group of bands.

Slaughter was another one that had two terrific first albums, but then fell off after that.  I didn't re-discover them until a few years back, and was pleasantly surprised at the rest of their 90s output.  Mark just released a solo EP about a month ago ... it's "solid".

Never bothered with Slaughter after the debut. Not a fan of his voice as it's in the same ballpark as another singer I can't stand...cough Robert Plant cough

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2017, 04:26:48 PM »
Mark's voice is a thousand times better than Robert Fleischman on those Vinnie Vincent albums. Now there's a voice I can't stand.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2017, 04:34:02 PM »
Mark's voice is a thousand times better than Robert Fleischman on those Vinnie Vincent albums. Now there's a voice I can't stand.

Maybe, but that first VVI album was the only one with personality.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
The vocals on the first Elm made that album unlistenable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »

I actually like the Oak. The Pine was pretty good too.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2017, 04:52:28 PM »
Why have you all not agreed on Winger yet?

Because that's the right answer.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2017, 05:02:41 PM »
Actually the correct answer is a tie between Rough Cutt and Leatherwolf. Triple Axe Attack baby, triple axe attack!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2017, 05:07:07 PM »

Never bothered with Slaughter after the debut. Not a fan of his voice as it's in the same ballpark as another singer I can't stand...cough Robert Plant cough

Yeah yeah... I know your stance on those two.  We all have our special fail... or fails in this case.   :D
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »
   I don't know if I could say who's the best but these days my favorites are Tesla and Dokken. Def Leppard and Motley Crue are in there as well. With Crue, I'm only really familiar with Shout at The Devil, Decade of Decadence, and the self-titled album. It's a shame "Decade..." is out of print. It was a nice one-stop shop. :P

I grew up on a lot of the bands mentioned in this thread although for some of them, I only know two or three songs (Cinderella, Winger, Warrant, etc.). Nice to see people still remember Firehouse and White Lion. Both of their debut albums were in the mix when I was a kid. I also loved the Slave To The Grind album by Skid Row.

Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen any mention of Great White or Kingdom Come, although they were barely even a flash in the pan at all. :P
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
I admittedly never got the fascination with Cinderella.  Granted, I've only heard the hits, and I liked Nobody's Fool, but the rest never did a lot for me.  I mean, I would watch the videos when they were on MTV back then, but I never went out of my way to hear their songs like I did for songs by Europe, Stryper, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses and Poison.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2017, 05:24:57 PM »

I actually like the Oak. The Pine was pretty good too.

I also hear you like it in the r***:biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
I admittedly never got the fascination with Cinderella.  Granted, I've only heard the hits, and I liked Nobody's Fool, but the rest never did a lot for me.  I mean, I would watch the videos when they were on MTV back then, but I never went out of my way to hear their songs like I did for songs by Europe, Stryper, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses and Poison.

I loved his vocals on Coming Home when he didn't shriek.

Speaking of voices I hated.  That Britny Fox singer Dizzy Dean.  Man I hated his voice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »
I think a good question would be which hair metal had the best monster ballad.  Seems like they all had one that was hugely popular at the time.

Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Europe - Carrie
Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)
Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home
Stryper - Honestly

What am I am missing?

Offline sfam2112

« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2017, 05:42:24 PM »
I think a good question would be which hair metal had the best monster ballad.  Seems like they all had one that was hugely popular at the time.

Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Europe - Carrie
Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)
Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home
Stryper - Honestly

What am I am missing?

Winger - Headed For A Heartbreak
Tesla - Love Song
Dokken - Alone Again
Skid Row - I Remember You
White Lion - When The Children Cry
My music:

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
Warrant - Heaven
Winger- Headed For A Heartbreak
Giant - I'll See You In My Dreams

Ninja'd.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2017, 05:44:51 PM »
Oh lord, you're missing a bunch

Skid Row - I Remember You
Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive
Damn Yankees - High Enough
Slaughter - Fly To The Angels
White Lion - When the Children Cry
Tesla - Love Song (though, I personally wasn't a fan)
Warrant - Heaven

And since when the fuck is Sweet Child O' Mine a power ballad?

Edit - Double ninja'd

Offline T-ski

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
Would Faster Pussycats "House of Pain" qualify?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2017, 06:03:41 PM »
Would Faster Pussycats "House of Pain" qualify?

Yes, it qualifies for House of Shit!

Winger- Headed For A Heartbreak

Really guys? WTF??

Offline sfam2112

« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2017, 06:14:47 PM »

Really guys? WTF??

Winger Theater Forums...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:43:49 PM by sfam2112 »
My music:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »
Tim, you take you "build a wall to keep Winger out of this thread" propaganda out of here! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »
More like Heading For An Earache.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »
More like Heading For An Earache.

Come on now man. Can't even admit they have one good song?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2017, 06:52:52 PM »
I believe Wolfking won the Winger Round with a "just ok" song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2017, 06:56:45 PM »
 I need to revisit that and see what people sent for songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »
I need to revisit that and see what people sent for songs.

I don't!  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
 :lolus

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »
My initial thought was Def Leppard. But they were also my favorite.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »
The def leppard High and dry album was one of the best of the decade.  When Steve Clark died they lost the heart and soul of their band.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2017, 02:09:34 AM »
Guess I'm the odd one out there but:

Cinderella's first two records are good but nothing really special, Heartbreak Station set them apart and is (imo) their best one by miles.

Same goes for Tesla, the first two are good but Psychotic Supper and (to a lesser degree) Bust A Nut knock them out of the park.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D