Author Topic: Who were the best "hair" band? Why?  (Read 15902 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Who were the best "hair" band? Why?
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2017, 07:08:27 PM »
 :lol

Yeah Born To Be My Baby is one of my favorite tunes from Bon Jovi.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2017, 07:08:44 PM »
I will check out those deep cuts to see if they are worthy. ;)

Now, what about Europe's Out of This World? I still think that is a good record.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2017, 07:09:38 PM »
Never heard it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »

Offline max_security

« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »
TNT : the duet Le Tekkro / Harnell was fantastic. Harnell is such an underrated singer, but what a voice he had back then.

B.Lee

TNT " Seven Seas " hell yes !!! Fantastic band for real. ( I could sing that in my car PERFECT LOL )

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2017, 07:12:25 PM »
I have the vinyl in my attic. they just never stuck for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »
Never heard it.

Figures. :lol :biggrin:

It's been a long time since I heard that album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
Never heard it.

I made a tape of  the The Final Countdown album. I never thought very much of it, so I never checked out anything they did after that. I did see them open for Def Lep in 1988.

Offline max_security

« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
Reliving 1984 tonight ( Knights of the New Thunder ) , that was also the year of ...YJM Rising Force. It messed a few of us up actually.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »
This is the point in the thread where I say once again that the first time I heard Dream Theater, I thought that they sounded like Europe on steroids. :metal :metal

Offline max_security

« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2017, 07:23:30 PM »
Early Europe was awesome . Even The Final Countdown album was cool if I remember correctly. Edit : I just checked , Wings of Tomorrow was the one I was thinking of.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2017, 07:27:08 PM »
Reliving 1984 tonight ( Knights of the New Thunder ) , that was also the year of ...YJM Rising Force. It messed a few of us up actually.

Rising Force is awesome. But what JSS does on Marching Out is ridiculous.

This is the point in the thread where I say once again that the first time I heard Dream Theater, I thought that they sounded like Europe on steroids. :metal :metal

When I heard Dream Theater for the first time, my thought was that "this is the music Rush should be making".
I found them to be a cross between 70's Rush, 80's Maiden, with the vocals of Helloween.
All fucking win.

Offline max_security

« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2017, 07:34:43 PM »
For Real on the Marching Out , I am a Viking and Anguish and Fear are my faves .

Side B of DT IAW was a daily listen for quite a few years for me man.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »
I&W is my favorite album of all time. Side 2 rules.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »
Now, what about Europe's Out of This World? I still think that is a good record.

Out of This World was pretty good, but I prefer Prisoner's in Paradise.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
New Jersey is excellent.

Blood On Blood, Wild Is The Wind, Stick To Your Guns. Heck, I even think Born To Be Your Baby is a great tune as well.

Ninja'd!

I'll Be There For You is one of the best cheesy rock love songs, especially when Sambora started to sing lead for the song in their concerts.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2017, 01:55:26 AM »
New Jersey is excellent.

Blood On Blood, Wild Is The Wind, Stick To Your Guns. Heck, I even think Born To Be Your Baby is a great tune as well.

Ninja'd!

I'll Be There For You is one of the best cheesy rock love songs, especially when Sambora started to sing lead for the song in their concerts.

Just looking over the tracklist, I think Homebound Train has be the worst song on the album. I always skip it. Lay Your Hands On Me and Bad Medicine are sort of played out, but the rest are all still solid.

Wild Is The Wind would be my pick for top song.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2017, 02:19:12 AM »
Would Faster Pussycats "House of Pain" qualify?

Yes, it qualifies for House of Shit!

:eek But that's a great tune! :biggrin:

The rest of their output really was dreadful, though!

What about House of Broken Love by Great White? I like it. Although I may have been forever persuaded by the cover of the CD single, admittedly :coolio
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2017, 07:21:55 AM »
I have the vinyl in my attic. they just never stuck for me.

Tell No Tales was great but it was downhill from there. Of the rest, only New Religion made any positive impression on me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »
Never heard it.

I made a tape of  the The Final Countdown album. I never thought very much of it, so I never checked out anything they did after that. I did see them open for Def Lep in 1988.

Tim, Prisoners In Paradise. Listen to it.
I don't mind Out Of This World and prefer it more now than when it came out. It was too heavy on the keyboards for me, but there is some good stuff on it. It doesn't rock though.

Tim, seriously, Prisoners In Paradise.  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2017, 07:42:24 AM »
While I agree that Out Of This World was a bit key heavy ,  I have never subscribed to the theory that PiP is much heavier.   A few songs on PiP may rock a bit more but the production isn't in the same league as OOTW in my opinion and neither is Kee's guitar playing. So I played OOTW a lot more.

I love a few songs on PiP but I found a lot of it very skippable - needs a few songs cut from it IMO.  And yet they had genuinely rocking songs that only made the cut as bonus tracks  ::)   (Break Free etc.._)   

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2017, 07:53:54 AM »
Would Faster Pussycats "House of Pain" qualify?

Yes, it qualifies for House of Shit!

:eek But that's a great tune! :biggrin:

The rest of their output really was dreadful, though!

What about House of Broken Love by Great White? I like it. Although I may have been forever persuaded by the cover of the CD single, admittedly :coolio

I actually LOVE Great White.   I could listen to Jack Russell sing the sports pages (though some of their material was a little short of the mark).  I would have loved to have heard Russell in Van Halen, not Cherone, frankly (and I'm a HUGE Gary Cherone fan).   

"House of Pain" is a good song, not great, but Taime Downe is horrible.  That song (I had to look it up and I got sidetracked by the cover of "House of Broken Love", sorry) "Babylon" is just... there are no words how much his vocals are annoying.  He is neck and neck with Anthony Keidis for worst vocals to come out of LA in the '80's. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2017, 08:19:38 AM »
Out Of This World is the only Europe record I ever owned (it didn't make the transition from vinyl to cd). It wasn't bad but Joey Tempest started literally every song with yeah, oh yeah, mmmh yeah and the like over the intro and that got on my nerves after a while.  >:(
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
Joey Tempest started literally every song with yeah, oh yeah, mmmh yeah and the like over the intro and that got on my nerves after a while.  >:(

Maybe not every song  :D  But yeah..........totally agree - drove me mad too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
It's a long time I last heard the full record but I'm almost sure it was EVERY song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »

I got a c-note that says he'll hate it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »

Funny you posting in the "hair" thread.

;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2017, 09:51:17 AM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »

Funny you posting in the "hair" thread.

;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
Tim throwing haymakers.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3tSUGpfT-8   ;)

There's probably an album version somewhere with an extended intro and some bonus yeahs  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
I had the pleasure of seeing some of the "best hair bands" mentioned in this thread just this year... Poison, Bon Jovi, Scorpions...

But I'd vote Motley Crue, wish I got to see them on their final tour.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »
I was fortunate enough to see a lot of the bands mentioned here in their heyday, including many of my favorites.  Some of those shows include:

-Def Leppard:  Some of the shows included seeing them on the Hysteria tour with Tesla opening, and seeing them again on the Adrenalize tour, which was VERY similar to the Hysteria tour, with a few new songs thrown in and Vivian Campbell on guitar.

-Y&T:  MANY times--can't even remember all the shows.  But a couple of the memorable ones were seeing them on Halloween at the Concord Pavillion with Faster Pussycat opening (if I remember correctly), and this being either the first show or one of the first where Jimmy DeGrasso played with them; and a show at the Omni in Oakland where they played a sampling of songs they had written for their next album and conducted a fan poll at the show to help them figure out which ones to include on the album.

-Whitesnake:  Saw them on the Slide It In tour as the second act of a show opened by Kick Axe and closed out by Quiet Riot.  Saw them again on the s/t tour as the third act at Day on the Green, where the roster was Jetboy, Poison, Whitesnake, Motley Crue.  Saw them again on the Slip of the Tongue tour, I think with Faster Pussycat opening. 

-Scorpions:  A bit late to the game with them live, as I only got to see them on the Face the Heat tour.  But I loved that album, and they played some new cuts from that, plus a lot of classic era songs, so it was a great set list for me.

-Tesla:  Despite now living in their hometown, I have only seen them three times:  once on the afore-mentioned Def Leppard Hysteria tour, and then much later in the 2000's. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »
-Scorpions:  A bit late to the game with them live, as I only got to see them on the Face the Heat tour.  But I loved that album, and they played some new cuts from that, plus a lot of classic era songs, so it was a great set list for me.

tell me about it  :lol