Author Topic: Is there anybody on this forum who doesn't experience "frisson"?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: Is there anybody on this forum who doesn't experience "frisson"?
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »
Yes, but it goes away after I've heard the song a few times.

Does it ever come back?   I know for me, if I don't hear it for a while, I'll listen to the 3SL medley (especially in the car) and it'll hit me like it was new.   I love that.

That still gets me as well, and I've been listening to that medley for over 30 years.  Listening to 3SL is one of my earliest musical memories.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 08:58:20 AM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »
I used to get it more frequent but these days it's pretty rare that a song will get me to a state like that. I LOVE when it happens though, at those times I appreciate how powerful and wonderful music can be that can convey a feeling like that.

What's interesting is what actually makes you get that feeling and for me it's very random and can be everything from a section in a song, a certain melody, a chord progression or just hearing vocal harmonies in a band setting or A cappella in some form. Just hearing someone with a beautiful voice can be enough for me.
I do think that for the most part that feeling comes from harmonies, chord progressions and melodies that you've heard before or feels familiar in some ways even if it's a song you've never heard before you can still get it because when you hear it you get a feeling of comfort and pleasure. As someone mentioned nostalgia can also a big part, I think.

To mention some random occasions, crank this up and you might get a few goosebumps like I did the first time I heard it, make sure to stick until the end. Hearing my country's national anthem or a nice arrangement of Star Spangled Banner like this or when a giant crowd sings Rule Britannia. I think the most recent was when I heard this wonderful rendition of Nessun Dorma by Jonas Kaufman.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
I don't experience frission. My block of uranium is not Enriched so it can't maintain a frission reaction.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
I only experience fussion.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 06:17:12 AM »
"Frisson" is the shiver down the spine, with goosebumps, you sometimes get when you listen to exciting music. Apparently there are people who don't experience it, but on this forum I kinda assume everybody gets it.

I get this all the time.

The staff at JB Hifi get it when you walk in too  ;D

:rollin
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »
The first time I heard Alex's solo on The Garden I got a case so bad I thought I was paralyzed.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 08:55:13 PM »
Yeah, I mainly get it with lyrics that really hit home. I get it whenever I hear Comfortably Numb during the chorus, especially the lines:
"Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain you would not understand
This is not how I am"

&
"I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone"

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 06:26:30 AM »
So I was at work yesterday and the kids put on The Lion King. I got shivers when Circle of Life played at the beginning  :hefdaddy

Love my job sometimes  :heart