Author Topic: The Documentaries thread  (Read 1267 times)

Offline faizoff

The Documentaries thread
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
Decided to make a thread for this.

I have several documentaries on my watch list on Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO. Since now I'm in the mood to watch pretty much only documentaries, been digging into Ken Burns' The War lately. The series is so amazing, in the middle of the 5th episode and still have 5 more hours to go!. It was nice to see some of the soldiers that The Pacific was based on.

I'm gearing up to watch Ken's new series The Vietnam War which has the score done by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Reviews have been fantastic so can't wait to check them out, all 20 hours or so of it.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Documentaries thread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
The only documentary that I have any interest in right now is HBO's upcoming Spielberg film that's airing next month.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
Which one is that?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
watch the documentary, Meru, climbing one of the highest, and probably hardest climbs in the world. harder than Everest. I am doing Everest nest year. meru is my bucket list

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »
I am military, spent a lot of time in Iraq, Syria etc. For a documentary, watch The Hornests Nest. may put things into perspective

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »
I'm halfway through the Vietnam War documentary and it is riveting.  It's an excellent history lesson for me where I knew pieces of the war, Ken Burns has mostly stayed in neutral political territory and just showing pretty much all the context around the war from the American perspective.

Still another 5 more episodes to go.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:07:22 PM »
I'm halfway through the Vietnam War documentary and it is riveting.  It's an excellent history lesson for me where I knew pieces of the war, Ken Burns has mostly stayed in neutral political territory and just showing pretty much all the context around the war from the American perspective.

Agreed. I knew a lot about the Vietnam War through my mum, who was a big history buff, but I'm learning so much from this series.  It's compelling viewing.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:53:33 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »

I've watched some of it.  Not all of it is accurate, but it is still pretty good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
What wasn't accurate? Not debating just curious.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:39 AM »
Finished it last night, very powerful documentary. Very sobering view on the war and its casualties shown from many sides. I watched the unedited version which has unfiltered footage and is at times very hard to watch. It's a very well made series and to me, it showed everyone's motivation and side without really casting judgment. And Jane Fonda, WTF?!! I had no idea about her comments that were made at the time but seriously WTF!

One of the most emotional moments I thought was at the very end of the series when one of the antiwar protestors breaks down and says sorry for having called soldiers names like 'baby killer' etc..  She says she was young and really didn't know better.

I highly recommend watching the series if you're into history and documentaries. Bonus part is the score with Trent and Atticus, fantastic score and goes so well with it all. Even though Ken used a ton of NIN material, it really blended well.