Author Topic: 4K Blu-Ray  (Read 1170 times)

Offline kaos2900

4K Blu-Ray
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
I just bought the new Xbox One X which has 4k blu ray player built in. Has anyone else jumped on the 4k wagon yet? I've been doing a lot of research to see if the additional cost of 4k blu-ray vs. standard blu-ray and it sounds like in most cases the answer is no because the majority of movies are still mastered in 2k. I was curious as to what others who have tried the medium thought about it. I'm really tempted to get the new Nolan 4k collection since his films are mastered in 4k.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: 4K Blu-Ray
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
I have no reason to at this time. Plus, doing so means replacing my 3D television, and I can't have that for the 2 times a year I watch Avatar in 3D.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
I have a 4k 3d television and 4k bluray player and it's awesome! The only 4k movie I own is Wonder Woman and it's terrific.

That being said, my only caution to you is to make sure your HDMI cables are up to snuff and that surround sound system is capable of passing through both 4K video as well as whatever sound setting you prefer (Dolby digital for instance).
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online faizoff

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
I just bought the new Xbox One X which has 4k blu ray player built in. Has anyone else jumped on the 4k wagon yet? I've been doing a lot of research to see if the additional cost of 4k blu-ray vs. standard blu-ray and it sounds like in most cases the answer is no because the majority of movies are still mastered in 2k. I was curious as to what others who have tried the medium thought about it. I'm really tempted to get the new Nolan 4k collection since his films are mastered in 4k.

I was actually thinking of picking up an Xbox One S which also has a 4K bluray player with it. Couple that with the tons of TV deals you see for 4K TVs esp 55" I'm thinking of taking the plunge soon. However, the content availability right now for 4k material (whether on physical discs or streaming) is definitely not comparable to 1080p material. In addition to that you get great deals for regular bluray even though I do see 4K content becoming available for a lot cheaper than before.

The other reason I was thinking of taking the 4K plunge is that it will play regular 2K content and people have sworn that it looks a lot better on a 4K TV compared to the previous 1080 resolution.

Since you already have the player, if you do get a good deal on a TV I'd say go for it. You'll be able to play both your content on the 4k TV.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline krands85

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 04:14:16 AM »
Not enough 4K content available for me to justify the cost right now. I'll also be factoring in HDR the next time I buy a new TV and seemingly you're looking at around £1000+ for a true 10bit HDR TV at the moment.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:33:00 AM »
I with the others above, not enough content to justify a purchase yet, but will someday as I do watch a lot of 4k HDR/Dolbyvision stuff that air on various streaming sights.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
I have the Nolan 4k set preordered. I have a 4k TV and the Xbox came with a high speed 4k cable so I should be ready to go.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
You're all set. Typically movies that have been shot on 35mm film can be scanned to a resolution of 6-8k I believe. Most digital films are nowadays shot in 5k and up cameras so they should translate just fine on 4k media.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan