Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36358 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
If all we're gonna get is vague statements then I guess we'll just have to assume he pulled out just to go write with DT. Which is really crummy of him IMO but oh well...

I'd actually like the studio excuse more if it was him and Matt Guillory in the studio working on a new solo album :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd actually like the studio excuse more if it was him and Matt Guillory in the studio working on a new solo album :(

Here's another thing I wonder about the whole situation.  Doesn't he have a new band now?  Isn't it pretty much JLB's band but with him singing (and the former screamer of Amaranthe)?  Could this have any involvement in the cancellation, as in, the rest of the band is moving on from JLB? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Possible.  There is something very odd about this whole situation. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness

Here's another thing I wonder about the whole situation.  Doesn't he have a new band now?  Isn't it pretty much JLB's band but with him singing (and the former screamer of Amaranthe)?  Could this have any involvement in the cancellation, as in, the rest of the band is moving on from JLB?

Honestly, I kind of wonder why THAT project didn't take the spot then. That way the only major change is the new screamer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Was there really any backlash towards DT? I honestly didn't notice it here. Personally, I blamed JLB all along.  :lol

Also, the correct answer would have been:
Unfortunately, two members of our band had other engagements. The rest of us considered bringing in replacements, but with my recording schedule we didn't feel we could devote enough time to the rehearsals required to give the fans the show they deserved. Good band chemistry takes time, and we simply didn't have it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Was there really any backlash towards DT? I honestly didn't notice it here. Personally, I blamed JLB all along.  :lol

Unfortunately, two members of our band had other engagements. The rest of us considered bringing in replacements, but with my recording schedule we didn't feel we could devote enough time to the rehearsals required to give the fans the show they deserved. Good band chemistry takes time, and we simply didn't have it.

Ever consider a job in PR?  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Honestly, I kind of wonder why THAT project didn't take the spot then. That way the only major change is the new screamer.

Well that project hasn't earned a PP headline position although one could argue they could have been performing under an earlier slot and bumped others up.  I think PP got it right with SOA though.

Yea pretty much the way I felt.  Even if the initial statement made a lot of remarks about DT, it still always felt ultimately as JLB's "fault"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yea pretty much the way I felt.  Even if the initial statement made a lot of remarks about DT, it still always felt ultimately as JLB's "fault"

Acknowledged that I could be wrong, AND I could be letting my own bias in favor of DT cloud my view, but I get the sense that James is just stepping up and "taking the bullet" for someone else in this situation.  But admittedly, that is ultimately just speculation on my part.  There are just too many things that are strange and don't add up to me though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I suspect it was Guillory, in the foyer, with a hammer.

Wait, we're not playing Clue?  :natalieportman:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Acknowledged that I could be wrong, AND I could be letting my own bias in favor of DT cloud my view, but I get the sense that James is just stepping up and "taking the bullet" for someone else in this situation.  But admittedly, that is ultimately just speculation on my part.  There are just too many things that are strange and don't add up to me though.

I get that may be very true and there's still more to this than we know or maybe ever will know.  But for me, it's his band, his name, he announced he was playing the festival before he was supposed to, he said he is taking the blame... so that's essentially where it will go.  I don't really think it's a big deal overall, I feel like it's pretty much a non story for most fans as it should be.  Just hurts a bit personally because I am going to the festival with his performance being a huge draw (I'd say Nocturnal Rites is my main draw, then it was JLB).  So I could also be letting my bias get in the way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Ok...I respect that coming from the main man himself.

I just hope, one day, we can see the JLB band live
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

Two members?

Offline MirrorMask

Acknowledged that I could be wrong, AND I could be letting my own bias in favor of DT cloud my view, but I get the sense that James is just stepping up and "taking the bullet" for someone else in this situation. 

Well, that's how I read it for sure. "If you assume DT forced me to cancel.... they didn't. I did. Blame me".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one that sort of saw that implication.  "Blame me" + [no details about why] is not the same as "blame me because it was completely my decision." 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

Two members?
I'm really not sure if you're asking which two members, or pointing out that there are only 3 members in the band. In the latter case, I really don't care for JLB so I have no idea what his band looks like. In case of the former, the clever way to have done it would be to not disclose which two members. Leave it a mystery, which would appear tactful but also make it difficult to see through the bullshit.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

The time, or good band chemistry?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

Two members?
I'm really not sure if you're asking which two members, or pointing out that there are only 3 members in the band. In the latter case, I really don't care for JLB so I have no idea what his band looks like. In case of the former, the clever way to have done it would be to not disclose which two members. Leave it a mystery, which would appear tactful but also make it difficult to see through the bullshit.

I was asking which two. I thought you knew/read something that indicated another member of his band would have a conflict, because as it stands, the only issue seems to be with James. But if you were just coming up with a BS option for them to use as the statement for pulling out... I don't think that would have satisfied anyone any more than what was said.  Except to possibly divert the blame from James.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
James LaBrie - Impermanent Commitments :neverusethis:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

Two members?

I was asking which two. I thought you knew/read something that indicated another member of his band would have a conflict, because as it stands, the only issue seems to be with James. But if you were just coming up with a BS option for them to use as the statement for pulling out... I don't think that would have satisfied anyone any more than what was said.  Except to possibly divert the blame from James.
Just speculative BS on my part. That's what I would have gone with.

Perhaps you're right. We're talking about some real anally obsessive fanboys and haters here, so perhaps no explanation would suffice. It does seem that simply coming out and saying "blame me" didn't cut it, though. The added substance of my BS might have done better than the empty BS he went with.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Maybe he just wasn't comfortable coming out and saying, "My voice was in shambles by the end of the DT tour last year and has yet to fully recover." :P

Offline Mladen

Thank you for your clarification, James. I respect your decision and keep up witht the good work, you've got a lot of great things going on.  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe he just wasn't comfortable coming out and saying, "My voice was in shambles by the end of the DT tour last year and has yet to fully recover." :P

You're the 2nd person who I've seen suggest this.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Welp

Another one down...

From ProgPower's faceboook:

*Day 2 Roster Change*

Folks,

Making this show happen is one of the most fulfilling experiences in the world. But as you can imagine, it can be equally as frustrating. I’m afraid we have to announce a lineup change on day 2. We are heartbroken to announce Dream Evil has to cancel their ProgPower appearance once again.

With the visa petition approved on March 23rd, the band proceeded to book their visa interviews. 4 out of 5 members had no issues during that process and their visa was issued normally. The 5th member was notified when booking his interview that his passport number had been blacklisted due to a “previous conflict” and he wouldn’t be able to have a visa issued until at least January 2019. Upon further investigation, the US embassy in Stockholm found out that Dept. of Homeland Security blacklisted his passport number because in a recent trip with his wife to Mexico, they “flew into US airspace” - without actually landing in the country!

Over the years, we have seen several issues with USCIS and DHS in regards to visa approval and denials. We have never, however, seen anything as absurd as this excuse. He has no criminal background nor there is a history of misuse or illegal entry in the country. We are still perplexed by how crazy of a reason this is. Even our visa lawyer is baffled. We spent a long time trying to work this out with them. Embassy calls. USCIS calls. Lawyer calls. Milton personally involved one of his congressmen who was able to assist in clearing visa issues in the past, but no luck this time. And since this is a vital member for their performance, the band has no choice but to pull the plug on the show.

I will say this... in no way, shape or form this is the management or the band’s fault. They were diligent in working with us at every step of the way and eager to make it happen given the previous cancelation. I have no doubts we’ll eventually get them over here. Hopefully the third time will be the charm.

A replacement has already been confirmed and we will be announcing it later today.

Thank you,
Milton & Nathan

I wasn't a huge fan of them but had been listening to them lately to get into their set and they have some solid power metal tunes, so kind of bummed but not really too upset.  Really looking forward to the announcement later today of the replacement.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't even like Dream Evil, but that's ridiculous and super disappointing because I know several people who were jazzed to see them. It's even more silly when it's just the one guy who they couldn't approve. How stupid and unfortunate.

I hope the replacement is good...

Offline Lethean

I don't even like Dream Evil, but that's ridiculous and super disappointing because I know several people who were jazzed to see them. It's even more silly when it's just the one guy who they couldn't approve. How stupid and unfortunate.

I hope the replacement is good...

This is me - not into the band, but definitely bummed for them and those who were looking forward to them.  Totally ridiculous that they wouldn't approve the visa based on that kind of nonsense.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I do like how we get a full explanation even if the details are kind of laughable.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
And just saw this as well, which has me excited:

ANGRA SET NEWS!

Day 2 headliners Angra’s headliner performance will be comprised of a special set split into two parts.

For the first half, the band’s recently release and critically-acclaimed album “ØMNI” will be performed in its entirety. This will be the only time they will do that in North America. The second half will be entirely comprised of songs that you, ProgPower USA fans get to choose. This will also be the only chance to get a special non-tour setlist!

You can start voting for the songs on the link below. Keep in mind the poll closes on August 7, a week from today:

https://progpowerusa.com/angra-setlist-poll/

As a reminder... there are still a handful of tickets available for days 1 and 2. ;)

Thanks everyone!
-Milton & Nathan

I am loving the new Angra album so seeing it whole makes me very happy, but I have not listened to any of their other material so I have no idea what I'd vote for.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Trump: Securing the borders one PPUSA band member at a time.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity

Milton's comment in a PPUSA Facebook group was that he feels this situation was more about one inept employee working for a government institution who was being a dumbass, rather than the US' immigration policies as a whole. 

Offline Lethean

Milton's comment in a PPUSA Facebook group was that he feels this situation was more about one inept employee working for a government institution who was being a dumbass, rather than the US' immigration policies as a whole.
I certainly hope he's right about that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
And the Dream Evil replacement is.... Doro

This will be interesting

Offline Ben_Jamin

Well looks like my friend can't go with me. He just started working and is unlikely able to get off. So, I've got an extra ticket if anyone one wants it.

Also, sucks now I have to call the airlines and cancel his reservation.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
And the Dream Evil replacement is.... Doro

This will be interesting

Wow, that's cool.  So if I were going (which I'm not), at least there would be two bands I would be interested in seeing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I actually know little about Doro, and from what I've been youtubing, it's a lot of hit or miss for me.  Seems like it could be a fun performance though and cool to get the opportunity to suddenly see her. 

Sucks Ben, you may still be able to sell the tickets though, for day 3 and 4 id think for sure?  It's right around the corner so thats a pain  though to have to suddenly figure this shit out.

Offline Ben_Jamin

I actually know little about Doro, and from what I've been youtubing, it's a lot of hit or miss for me.  Seems like it could be a fun performance though and cool to get the opportunity to suddenly see her. 

Sucks Ben, you may still be able to sell the tickets though, for day 3 and 4 id think for sure?  It's right around the corner so thats a pain  though to have to suddenly figure this shit out.

It does, I only bought days 3-4 anyways. Dont know where to sell them.