Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36359 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Does pledging also get you your ticket?

That's weird. I usually consider buying my ticket as my pledge.

I doubt it since it's sold out.

I think it's great they are going to film a DVD there.  I got to try and get in it.  But I don't expect to pledge, I don't really know Redemption that well although I plan on listening more to them before the show.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
PPUSA just trolled the fuck out of James and DT.  Mike and Derek are gonna have a heyday with this!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
PPUSA just trolled the fuck out of James and DT.  Mike and Derek are gonna have a heyday with this!

Very curious to see what the set will be.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I'm going to guess probably the same setlist they are touring with but maybe changing the cover songs up at most.  PP sets often are different, but I don't know how much wiggle room SOA has to change the setlist at this point.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

They should open with CRUCIFYYYYYYYYYYY!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I hope they play the revolutionary songs Coming Home and Alive (in English, Spanish, Japanese, Swahili, and Dwarven), as well as covers of songs from 20+ years ago, and a Van Halen cover for all the dads in the audience

Yuck
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

They should open with CRUCIFYYYYYYYYYYY!

If they do, I will resist, deny.

What kind of set time do the headliners usually get at this thing?  They have over a two-hour set right now that consists of their full album, solo spots by the members, two DT covers (Lines in the Sand and Just Let Me Breathe), and the Van Halen cover.  I doubt they would have to add to extend it.  If they have the same amount of time, I would get on the set being the same.  If they have to cut it, I would imagine they would keep Lines in the Sand and most of the songs from Psychotic Symphony, and start cutting from there.  Maybe, because it is a prog festival, they might also keep JLMB in favor of one or two songs on their own album if they had to, but not sure.

@Kattelox, all those songs were awesome live when I saw them last weekend.  Get over it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure what the limit is, but they get at least 1.5 hours and can probably go 2 hours.  The set times were already released, but the headliner is listed as 10:30pm to close.  Hence the ambiguity.  I don't really remember when I went two years ago if anyone actually went to 12:30, but I think most went past or till midnight.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
@Kattelox, all those songs were awesome live when I saw them last weekend.  Get over it.

With all due respect, no. JLB was my main draw to this festival (I was going to see him years ago and couldn't, and I've been hyped for a year because I knew I'd finally get to see him now) and SoA is the last band I want to see there, particularly because of Derek and Mike, so I'll be making a 10-hour trip to skimp on not just 2 bands but 3 now. Don't tell me to get over it (I've already dropped $250 just for the hotel) - if you want me to stop posting, then just nut up and say so, but don't tell me that, because I wouldn't tell you or anybody else that. Also, I, unlike you, don't like the album at all. This is the PP thread... I get to post if I'm not attacking anyone, right?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

With all due respect, no. JLB was my main draw to this festival (I was going to see him years ago and couldn't, and I've been hyped for a year because I knew I'd finally get to see him now) and SoA is the last band I want to see there, particularly because of Derek and Mike, so I'll be making a 10-hour trip to skimp on not just 2 bands but 3 now. Don't tell me to get over it (I've already dropped $250 just for the hotel) - if you want me to stop posting, then just nut up and say so, but don't tell me that, because I wouldn't tell you or anybody else that. Also, I, unlike you, don't like the album at all. This is the PP thread... I get to post if I'm not attacking anyone, right?

As to the bolded first, I'm not telling you as forum admin to get over it and not post.  I'm just posting as a music fan and forum member that you need to get over yourself.  :)

Look, I get the frustration.  You are perfectly entitled to that.  I sympathize with the fact that you don't like them, and that James was a big reason you were looking forward to this show.  It really sucks for you and others in the same boat that this happened, and I feel bad for you. 

I'm just saying that SOA's set is really awesome, so there's no reason to slag them and what they are playing just because you personally don't like it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
If I don't like their music and honestly believe no less than two songs on that half-baked album are cookie cutter radio rock (and no less than one is an overly indulgent meandering instrumental) why would you ever think I would have second thoughts and be jazzed about their set? The highlight will be the Dream Theater covers, other than Jeff Scott Soto singing. I mean, lots of people in the SoA thread have said exactly what I have said about them right here.

But I fully admit I am salty as hell about both this and the vague explanation for why James canceled. Double whammy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Nobody ever said anything about being jazzed about their set.  But thanks for responding to what I actually wrote. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
You're welcome. ;) Anyway, I get it, I'll stop poo-pooing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd like to suggest that the two of you can have a virtual "hate-fuck" (or whatever the equivalent is for two raving heterosexual males is over the internet) and just get along!  Man, the shopping cart thread has damaged the two of you.

Kattoe... Bosk ain't always a dick (kidding bosk-man!), so his comment was in good jest - at least I took it as such - not as a command.  If I was in your position, I'd be salty too!  Hell, I'm not even going and I'm pissed at the situation because James/DT come out looking worse than Mike and Derek - and THAT pisses me off.

Bosk... I (and as Kattoe mentioned, lots of other people in the many SOA threads) am with Kattoe on this - I just don't think it's an enjoyable album.  I haven't been motivated to go back and spin it even once since it dropped.  If it ain't someone's cup of tea, coupled along with everything else related to the fluster-cuck going on with PPUSA at the moment, it can come across (especially as a mod) as a little bossy to tell someone to get over it.

Now, kiss and makeup.   :D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So wait..is SOA taking the slot?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yes, it's official.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

You would know this if you had Facebook or Twitter.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

You would know this if you had Facebook or Twitter.

He has DTF... what more does he need?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nothing. Not a thing! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Bosk... I (and as Kattoe mentioned, lots of other people in the many SOA threads) am with Kattoe on this - I just don't think it's an enjoyable album.  I haven't been motivated to go back and spin it even once since it dropped.  If it ain't someone's cup of tea, coupled along with everything else related to the fluster-cuck going on with PPUSA at the moment, it can come across (especially as a mod) as a little bossy to tell someone to get over it.

No, I get it.  And I think I acknowledged both of those points. 

Anyway, on topic:

So, I talked to my peeps, and yeah, we are in fact drawing the WRONG conclusion from that announcement.  Any assumption that DT made James cancel is not accurate.  A more official clarifying announcement should be coming soon.  But I can tell you that my information is directly from the source.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

You did indeed.

Anyway, on topic:
But I can tell you that my information is directly from the source.

Petrucci?  :neverusethis:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
So, I talked to my peeps, and yeah, we are in fact drawing the WRONG conclusion from that announcement.  Any assumption that DT made James cancel is not accurate.  A more official clarifying announcement should be coming soon.  But I can tell you that my information is directly from the source.

Cool, I'd love to know what's really going on.  I'm not as bad as Kattle since I don't hate SOA, but I am really bummed and already dumped a bunch of money into my trip with a main draw being JLB.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Man, the shopping cart thread has damaged the two of you.

:rollin

Now, kiss and makeup.   :D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

Anyway, on topic:

Its easy to assume. Its just, why be so vague in the announcement? and then save the actual reason for later. That's what gets people upset. And no band needs that negative press.

I know, at the show I'm gonna sing my ass off for the DT songs SOA plays (if they play them) all loud. I'm also glad that MP is using this opportunity to further promote his new band.

The only sad part is, us JLB solo song fans may never get to see these songs live. And it's a shame.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

As to the bolded first, I'm not telling you as forum admin to get over it and not post.  I'm just posting as a music fan and forum member that you need to get over yourself.  :)

Look, I get the frustration.  You are perfectly entitled to that.  I sympathize with the fact that you don't like them, and that James was a big reason you were looking forward to this show.  It really sucks for you and others in the same boat that this happened, and I feel bad for you. 

I'm just saying that SOA's set is really awesome, so there's no reason to slag them and what they are playing just because you personally don't like it.

As someone who actually did like parts of the album, Kattle is right.  I will say their Van Halen cover was a fun way to end the night and even though Alive is not a great song, it was ok live and fun to sing along to.  The rest were blah but the highlights musically were the ones that went over like a lead balloon (Labyrinth, Divine Addiction) so when their catalog is beefed up, those will no doubt be put on the back burner.   :-\

Offline Lethean

Hey Madman, there's one Labyrinth that's going to kick ass at ProgPower, that's for sure. :)

Online mikeyd23

Good to know, thanks for the clarification Bosk.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Anyway, on topic:
But I can tell you that my information is directly from the source.

Petrucci?  :neverusethis:

No, he's saying Arjen predicted this and foretold it in the latest Ayreon album.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Madman Shepherd

Hey Madman, there's one Labyrinth that's going to kick ass at ProgPower, that's for sure. :)

:lol

Yup!  That'd be the place to see them play it!

I've always been a bigger fan of the metal side of DT than the prog side but I thought Labyrinth was really a cool balance.  I was shocked out how well songs like Coming Home went over at the show I was at (which I find to be really generic) and how dead the crowd was for Labyrinth.  So I will be eagerly anticipating bootlegs of that show. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
In the mean time, there are lots of YouTube videos getting posted from various shows.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50945.msg2433585#msg2433585

Offline Lethean

:lol

Yup!  That'd be the place to see them play it!

I've always been a bigger fan of the metal side of DT than the prog side but I thought Labyrinth was really a cool balance.  I was shocked out how well songs like Coming Home went over at the show I was at (which I find to be really generic) and how dead the crowd was for Labyrinth.  So I will be eagerly anticipating bootlegs of that show.

I actually wasn't talking about the SOA song. :).

Re: the song - I think it's probably better than anything else on that album, but that's not saying much from me because I really don't like the album at all.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I understood that reference  :corn

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
James asked me to post this here.  It does not really give us any specific insight into what is going on, but at least clarifies that, as I said, this is NOT a "DT made me do it" situation.
Quote from: James LaBrie
It’s come to my attention that there’s been some backlash toward Dream Theater regarding my decision to pull out from my solo band’s appearance at ProgPower this year.  This is my decision to pull out and has absolutely no bearing on DT. If anyone has any issues, it should be with me and me alone. Any vented frustration should be directed towards me, not DT.  I thank you all for your continued support, and I look forward to bringing my solo band’s performance to you all when the time is right!  Best, James.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
So DT forced him (at threat of bear attack) to post that. Gotcha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com