Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36489 times)

Offline Riceloft

Hi folks, I know this was mentioned in the James thread (and possibly others I haven't read) but I thought it deserved its own thread.

I love PPUSA and go every year, but unfortunately this upcoming year a family wedding will prevent that.  I love the lineup though, it has a little something for everyone!  Kingcrow, Vuur (based on samples), James Labrie, Redemption and Voyager are some really great prog bands.  Full lineup below:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:24:50 PM by Nick »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I planned for over a year to make it this year, and thanks to life being rough in 2017, I had to miss it. I even took a second job on top of my full time job just to try to get enough money scraped together to make it. Next year that won't happen, and I'll be going to my first ProgPower. I can't tell you how excited I am for Angra, JLB, and Voyager.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
So many great bands. I'm going to this for sure. Got to save up for it. Hopefully no Hurricanes then.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I really would love to go to 2018. I absolutely love Kingcrow, and of course JLB, and Redemption.

Are all the acts announced? I only ask because I see Angra on the bill, and since Geoff Tate's Operation: Mindcrime is touring with them next spring, I thought there may be a connection.

I'm not sure we can pull it off though. Not unless it is all ages (is it?) and I can wrap this into a family vacation. I really wish there was a ProgPower WEST once in a while...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, the roster's final. Not sure about the gold badge act yet, but that's the whole lineup. Angra's not only playing again, they're doing a 'fans pick the set' set :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

Hey Samsara - it is all ages. :)  Depending on how old your kids are, it could be cool, or it could be something you want to avoid.  I think PP attendees are awesome, welcoming, friendly, you name it. There's also a lot of drinking and people don't necessarily behave as they would in front of kids.  Someone brought their 12 year old this year and it seemed to work out, but the kid was only there for days 3 and 4 and wasn't there for every set.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Hey Samsara - it is all ages. :)  Depending on how old your kids are, it could be cool, or it could be something you want to avoid.  I think PP attendees are awesome, welcoming, friendly, you name it. There's also a lot of drinking and people don't necessarily behave as they would in front of kids.  Someone brought their 12 year old this year and it seemed to work out, but the kid was only there for days 3 and 4 and wasn't there for every set.

Hey there. Thanks for that. We are very selective on what we take our kid to, as she is young (she'll be almost 10 by this time next year). We usually make sure it is seated. Appreciate the info. What we would probably do, if we did it, would be each of us (my wife and I) would each attend separately, and then maybe bring our daughter for a couple things here and there. But it probably won't be feasible. But it's killing me because I'd love to finally see Kingcrow.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lethean

Hey there. Thanks for that. We are very selective on what we take our kid to, as she is young (she'll be almost 10 by this time next year). We usually make sure it is seated. Appreciate the info. What we would probably do, if we did it, would be each of us (my wife and I) would each attend separately, and then maybe bring our daughter for a couple things here and there. But it probably won't be feasible. But it's killing me because I'd love to finally see Kingcrow.

It's general admission but there's both a floor and a seated section, which is first come first served.  So I think you could probably enter the venue for a particular band and go straight to the seats with her.

Kingcrow is great live imo - their set at ProgPower made me a fan.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
It's rare for me to say this for ProgPower, but the 2018 lineup is a lock for me, I will be making my 2nd trip to the festival.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's rare for me to say this for ProgPower, but the 2018 lineup is a lock for me, I will be making my 2nd trip to the festival.

I feel the same way.  This is a great line up with some bands I would never have a chance to see (Nocturnal Rites, Bloodbound, VUUR, Eclipse).  My only issue is that it's too far away to say "lock" but I plan on buying my tickets at the on sale time to secure them and will be planning on doing the trip sometime next year.  It'll also be nice to go this time and not have to be taking a work class at the same time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Of the bands listed, only Angra and Kingcrow really hold attention for me. Redemption would be cool as would JLB, but I think they'll both have a tour. Hopefully some of the others will as well like Orphaned land and Haken did this year.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Thursday and Friday look dope to me.  But other than Triosphere and Nocturnal Rites, Wednesday and Saturday are pretty meh.

Plus, jingle.kids will be right in to week 1 of whatever path post-secondary school takes, so while this one looks better than what just wrapped up, I'm still gonna have to pass.  Glad I passed this year, as Sunburst and Teramaze were two of the 'must see' bands for me.

I'd wager a c-note that JLB will be touring - I saw a snippet of a video interview with him saying as such.  Pretty sure Redemption would too with the intro of Tom.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Oh man, would love to see Day 4. Vuur and Soen would be so amazing to see. I live a tad to far away to afford this in any way.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
JLB said he wanted to build a tour around this date, but wanting to and doing so are two different things.  His last attempt at touring didn't work.  I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't able to pull it off so I can't bank on that until I see it confirmed.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

I'd wager a c-note that JLB will be touring - I saw a snippet of a video interview with him saying as such.  Pretty sure Redemption would too with the intro of Tom.

Redemption with Kingcrow as the opener......

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
JLB touring is pretty much a lock, but I wouldn't put too much of a wager on Redemption. Keep in mind NVD almost has to sit the DT tour because of other commitments.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

I would love to see Persefone live.

I can't really say the rest of the lineup does enough for me, nor even it did more for me, I would be able to afford the trip (and comparing it to other trips I could take instead. Also convincing my wife it would be okay financially might be a Tall Task).

So I'm hoping per Persefone makes the trip over here, like Orphaned Land, they will book some other shows, likely with some other bands, and find a way to Minnesota.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tickets on sale now!  Just got one for myself.  I really want to go, but considering how far out this is, it's no guarantee, but at least I got my ticket and I can dump it later if it doesn't work out, but I am definitely planning on going.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
I have mine as well. I have always said I can dump later, but no intention of that this year, I will be there.

Online Ben_Jamin

Me too just bought mine. Will book a hotel sometime soon when I get more cash.

So excited and anxious. Gonna be a long year.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Got mine. Will book a hotel/flight later after I get days 1 & 2. I'm psyched!!

Offline Lethean

So - it looks like James just pulled out of ProgPower.  I hope he, or his management, can put out a few more details soon, because people are angry, and the official statement just doesn't seem to make much sense. 

https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/james-labrie-cancels-ppusa-performance.1276607/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm pretty pissed off, frankly. James, Voyager, Angra, and Nocturnal Rites are the only big draws for me, and I've seen Voyager before and I'll see Angra 2 weeks later anyway. James was my most anticipated set. So 2 Chris Bowes bands and no James? Gag me please.  :tdwn

Offline Lethean

This isn't uncommon for PPUSA, but I do think the statement leaves a lot of questions.  It just seems like they should be able to find a way around it, but obviously I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

Having said that - as much as this sucks, PP is still going to rule.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Teramaze had a health related issue last year, but otherwise I think most cancellations from PPUSA are VISA related.

This is a cancellation for "convenience".... or lack thereof.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

Most, but not all.  There have been cancellations due to other touring opportunities, personal issues, health issues, undefined issues. This is better than no explanation at all, but it does seem weak.  I would indeed love to know more details about it, and I think for PR sake, they should try to share more.

Online Ben_Jamin

A lot of people are gonna be mad. Not just at JLB cancelling but at DT. Its not good for their image at all.

I have tickets too and now I don't know. I'll still go unless Triosphere and Vuur also cancel. Imagine if Tarja cancelled as well, everyone will want their refunds then.

JLB's management and DT's management are the ones to blame.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I'll still go unless Triosphere and Vuur also cancel. Imagine if Tarja cancelled as well, everyone will want their refunds then.

That'd be nearly fatal to the festival I'd imagine, at least for this year.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tarja  has an NYC show right alongside PP so I doubt she cancels.

This hurts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I would be hurt as well if I had to be subjected to Tarja.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I would be hurt as well if I had to be subjected to Tarja.

You just sit right there in the grass with all the shopping carts. I'm coming over. :censored

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd so much rather Tarja had dropped out than JLB, that was a huge draw for me.  I love his solo music and in a headlining spot after MP played last year, felt like it was appropriate.  Sad.

Online Anguyen92

Quite frankly, given how long ago in advance this was announced that JLB solo was going to be headlining this event, I find him making the announcement of canceling it now to be in poor taste, I feel.  Some people bought tickets because he was headlining the thing and I don't think his reasoning to cancel can quell the, rightfully, upset people that spend their hard earn dollars to buy a ticket where he's the main attraction.

You can argue that focusing on DT14 is much more important, but still, if you book an obligation and people spend the time promoting said obligation, it's usually in better taste to see the obligation through and through and you would think that DT management or InsideOut or whatever would think that making this decision could possibly be a PR nightmare in their front.

Take Myles Kennedy for instance.  The dude just finished a month long solo tour in Europe and after that, he went in the studio working with Slash and is probably going to do a tour with Slash and his solo band around September/October, but before that, he's got some solo shows in May-July that was announced a few months in advance, playing in front of around maybe 500-1000 people, maybe some crowds smaller.  Is he going to cancel those shows just to put more priority on Slash's new solo album and upcoming tour?  I really hope not, but given that his US tour is starting this week, and he just recently announced more shows in Europe, and given that he's really excited for this type of tour, he's going to do them and enjoy them and enjoy the crowds that come to them even if there's a bigger endeavor down the horizon.

I really hope JLB can further go deeper in his reasoning for canceling this festival appearance and I hope that the idea that DT14 is more important than anything else is not the only reason why.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:58:40 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I missed this news last week:

Quote from: Redemption FB Page
As you know, we are returning to Atlanta to play ProgPower this year and are extremely excited to do so! We're going to pull out all the stops for this and want to make it an evening to remember. And we will be filing it for a new DVD!

These things cost a lot to do right -- and we managed to pull it off with help from you all last time on Kickstarter. We'll be doing the same thing this time.

I'll definitely be pledging.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Does pledging also get you your ticket?

That's weird. I usually consider buying my ticket as my pledge.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol