Author Topic: Trying to apply for a job in another state.  (Read 1157 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Trying to apply for a job in another state.
« on: September 16, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
How do you do it? Do you end up having your application moved to the bottom of the stack or ignored altogether if you have an out of state address? Do most employers consider it an unreasonable request if you ask for a phone interview?

I'm trying to move in with a friend in the New Orleans area so I could probably use his address but it's kind of a gamble. I don't wanna move in without having a job (otherwise I'll stay living with my folks until then) and I don't want my mail being delivered to a place I'm not available to get it daily. I just don't know if It'll look shady if my background check shows that the address I listed is different from what the post office has on file for me.

Also, my friend is in a pinch and can't afford the rent on his own so if I don't move in less than a month he might lose his place and I'll miss out on the chance to move back home so I really need to capitalize on this while the opportunity is still available.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cable

Re: Trying to apply for a job in another state.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 09:35:22 PM »
I moved to a next door state for a job. I just used my current address at the time, and the employer was accommodating with the driver license change. Another friend moved significantly farther than I did. I think having the job first is vital.

Cannot really answer the other questions, at least with weighting out of state apps. If anything, if I was making decisions, I would view out of area applications equally important as local ones, if not more intriguing. It shows being cool with a big change, among other possibilities.
---

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 10:23:19 PM »
Thanks for answering :tup For reference, I'm moving from Florida back to New Orleans, my hometown.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »
I actually just went through this last year when I moved from Tampa to Charlotte.

At first I just put my florida address down. When I got call backs the first question was "You know this is a job for Charlotte", I'd reply yes.

Eventually after we got our new address I used that but still received a lot of questions simply because people thought I submitted a resume on mistake. The timing was the most tricky. I started applying in September and wasn't going to close on our house until November. I missed a few opportunities simply because employers were looking to hire sooner rather than later. Eventually the starts aligned and I got a job that agreed to let me start the first Monday after closing, so I was out of work 2 days.

EDIT: I hope there aren't any shitty neighbors in New Orleans :)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »
Thanks for the help, Reap :tup And yeah, the neighbor situation should be better since we can probably just fight fire with fire by blasting them out if necessary.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »
I can only speak for the software industry, but being from the same state that the company is in is almost considered an oddity.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 08:19:25 PM »
Went back to a job I used to work at and I'm now back to living in the New Orleans area for the first time in six years. My roommate is one of my best friends and we were roommates a decade ago too so we're very comfortable with the arrangement. The place is in the same neighborhood I lived in from age 8-10 during some of the happiest years of my life. Life is good. Thanks to all of you that attempted to help me in this thread too.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 08:33:13 PM »
Thanks to all of you that attempted to help me in this thread too.

You're welcome.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:33:51 PM »
Bro hug.  Believe in yourself Josh.  You got this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
You got this. If you're qualified enough they'll consider you.

In my case as a teacher it depends on certification. But I doubt that's the case in a lot of situations.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
Oh, I'm already hired in case my wording in the previous post left anything sounding ambiguous. Still, thanks for all the encouraging words, y'all  :heart :heart :heart

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 09:27:36 PM »
What... what happened to your screen name?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 02:57:38 AM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
Ah ok.

Lol Football
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"