Author Topic: Being starstruck, being famous  (Read 860 times)

Offline Cable

Being starstruck, being famous
« on: September 15, 2017, 02:40:07 PM »
Has anyone lost their crap being starstruck when seeing, or meeting someone famous? I saw a Hall of Fame RB- arguably top three ever, and met JP. With the gridiron player, it was like oh it's so and so, cool and went on my way. With JP, famous to us, met him officially and went on my way basically. Someone in front of me said something like "we'll in our basement tonight if you want to jam John!" I don't get enamored with famous people, to the point of hyper behaviors or whatever.

And then being famous; in public would you stop to pose for photos and sign stuff? Just sign stuff while on your way? Do neither? Or are you famous, and do or don't do these things! :coolio
---

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Being starstruck, being famous
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »
I work with a guy who met Bill Mahr. Said he tried to talk to him but he was an aloof dick. I asked where he met him. "Oh, in a men's room at a titty bar."  :rollin

When I meet famous people I behave courteously and respectfully, just as I would anybody else. "Hey, great to meet you. Really enjoyed the show. Have a good night." They're people too, and they have more than enough people fawn over them and make them feel uncomfortable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
When I meet famous people I behave courteously and respectfully, just as I would anybody else. "Hey, great to meet you. Really enjoyed the show. Have a good night." They're people too, and they have more than enough people fawn over them and make them feel uncomfortable.

This.

But then again, I'm shy and can be socially awkward, so sometimes it's hard to give a good impression  :lol for example, I have an habit to talk too fast, so even though everyone agree I'm very good at english, I squander all that potential by talking too fast, while if I could control myself better, I could have long and detailed conversations with famous people  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:13:23 PM »
I'm terrible when it comes to conversations.  I don't think this would count, but about three years ago, when Scott Phillips of Alter Bridge was doing a live group chat through an app on mobile, when it was my turn to speak, my first words were basically along the lines of, "I'm doing well.  I am sitting here, waiting for you guys to come to SoCal."  In all honesty, we had an all right conversation and I commented about how I was excited for an Alter Bridge live release that eventually was never released and stated that I saw some fanmade youtube videos of the show and how the show looked great and I was excited to see it on DVD and Flip stated that he was excited for the release as well at the time.

That conversation really makes me think.  Man, if I was having this type of conversation with Flip, I'm going to do worst if I ever speak to Mark Tremonti or Myles Kennedy one day and I realize, other than fanboying about the band or wanting to discuss about the financial aspects of being in a band, I have nothing productive I could say to them.

So if I ever meet someone famous or someone I really like, I would not ask them for any autographs or pictures (I never really cared for that stuff in the first place), but I wouldn't mind having a fun and productive conversation with them and I just hope I don't end up looking more socially awkward than I already am.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
I was a gushing speechless mess when I met Stratovarius in 2009 and Fabio Lione in 2011. Plenty of other bands I've been nervous around meeting and talking to but those guys, man, oof. Strat was probably frightened of me because of how anxious and excited I was to meet them  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"