27 (29.3%)
Deadwing + Lazarus EP
36 (39.1%)
Fear of the Blank Planet + Nil Recurring EP
25 (27.2%)
The Incident
4 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Porcupine Tree "Metal" Era Poll  (Read 3771 times)

Online goo-goo

Porcupine Tree "Metal" Era Poll
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »
I've been revisiting Porcupine Tree's catalogue ever since Steven Wilson released To The Bone. I personally like the more Metal side of Porcupine Tree. Which leads me to this poll. What's your favorite album (including B-sides) of this era?

I personally keep going back to Deadwing. It has a little bit of everything.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Porcupine Tree "Metal" Era Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »
FOABP + Nil Recurring

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »
I'm wondering why you didn't include The Incident. Seems to me that some of their heaviest material is on that one.

Anyway, even with just three options I find it difficult to make a choice. Although I must say, I went to see the Anesthetize concert in my local arthouse cinema (someone from the local record shop arranged that - I know, it's amazing  :P), and it occurred to me how cringy some of the FOABP era lyrics can be.

I'll go with Deadwing. My favorite song ever is on there. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
The Incident should definitely be included. However, that wouldn't change my vote. In Absentia all the way.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
definitely Deadwing.

Fear of a Blank Planet is miles below the other 2.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »
In Absentia is my favorite PT albums so...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »
Where's The Incident? It's a far better album than many make it out to be.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »
Just added The Incident. I prefer CD2 over CD1 but still Deadwing is where it is for me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
Fear of A Blank Planet. The atmosphere and overall vibe of it makes you feel the subject matter. Anesthetize is what propels it for me. As does Way Out of Here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »
Oh man, Deadwing. Still one of the best albums ever.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 04:13:36 PM »
Oh man, Deadwing. Still one of the best albums ever.

Yup.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 04:14:49 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »
I'm not a massive PT fan, but Deadwing is by far my go to album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
Can't stand it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
A guy at work made me a copy, and while I did like Arriving Somewhere and The Start Of Something Beautiful, I just thought those first four songs blew. The vocals suck, and I was frankly disappointed after them getting DTF blowjobs constantly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »
A guy at work made me a copy, and while I did like Arriving Somewhere and The Start Of Something Beautiful, I just thought those first four songs blew. The vocals suck, and I was frankly disappointed after them getting DTF blowjobs constantly.

I don't quite understand the level of praise DTF give Wilson and PT either but they are an interesting, unique band.  I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as a blowjob either.  A compliment and a pinch of the ass is about as far as it goes for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »
Yup. Not talking Winger here! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »

I saw this before.......

...........in a comic strip called "Crankshaft". :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »
Another thread hijacked! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
With Winger!!  I'm proud of you Tim.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »
Such lofty goals there Tim. :lol

If I had to rate the 4 in order, they would be,

Deadwing
In Absentia
FOABP
The Incident.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »
Deadwing is the best of the four, but it we are adding the accompanying EPs, it is hard not to pick Fear/NR.  What Happens Now? and Cheating the Polygraph are easily two of the three best non-album tracks from the Harrison years (along with Drown with Me).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 07:21:38 PM »
The first three are honestly a dead heat for me, and my favorite honestly depends on mood.

Today it's In Absentia
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline dparrott

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 09:32:53 PM »
FOABP and Nil.  I like all of those songs to some degree.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 10:27:52 PM »
Definitely has to be the vinyl track-order of FOABP, which included the Nil Recurring EP. Such an amazing collection of music, and it all fit on a single CD-r! Although I recently discovered the tune "Always Recurring", which was a sort of precursor to "What Happens Now?" which includes some themes and motifs and even lyrical ideas that would make the final song, but the piece ends with the same looping sound effects that open "What Happens Now?", so I've used it as a sort of intro to WHN, and it's an amazing way to close the album.

FOABP was the first new album by PT after I became a fan (not long after DW came out), so it was very exciting for me. I even caught them at Ram's Head Live in Baltimore on that tour, and I *rarely* go to concerts like that, so that album and tour are pretty special to me.

Not far behind FOABP would be In Absentia, including the Futile EP and all related songs, though it would be hard to rank it 2nd considering I also really love Deadwing (especially closing the album with "Half Light" - such an amaaaaaazing song!!!). The Incident is nice, but it doesn't get as much replay value from me as the other three.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online goo-goo

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 07:29:53 AM »
Definitely has to be the vinyl track-order of FOABP, which included the Nil Recurring EP. Such an amazing collection of music, and it all fit on a single CD-r! Although I recently discovered the tune "Always Recurring", which was a sort of precursor to "What Happens Now?" which includes some themes and motifs and even lyrical ideas that would make the final song, but the piece ends with the same looping sound effects that open "What Happens Now?", so I've used it as a sort of intro to WHN, and it's an amazing way to close the album.

FOABP was the first new album by PT after I became a fan (not long after DW came out), so it was very exciting for me. I even caught them at Ram's Head Live in Baltimore on that tour, and I *rarely* go to concerts like that, so that album and tour are pretty special to me.

Not far behind FOABP would be In Absentia, including the Futile EP and all related songs, though it would be hard to rank it 2nd considering I also really love Deadwing (especially closing the album with "Half Light" - such an amaaaaaazing song!!!). The Incident is nice, but it doesn't get as much replay value from me as the other three.

-Marc.

Where did you get Always Recurring?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 08:05:45 AM »
The "metal era" as you define it was when I discovered PT. In Absentia was the first album I bought from them, right after it was released. I voted for Deadwing, however. For me, its their best record. Although their best song, for me, is "Even Less" off of Stupid Dream.

Personally, I'd rank the "metal era" albums:

Deadwing
In Absentia
Fear of a Blank Planet
The Incident

>>>>>>>>>>>>But all four are excellent. I would probably put Stupid Dream in that third spot, overall, and that's how I'd rank PT's top-five (not including the EPs).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
IMO the amplification of their metal side from IA on didn't hurt the pop, prog and psychedelic sides of the band at all. The balance they achieved on these records is quite extraordinary when I think about it.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline emtee

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
4 terrific albums that all stand well against the test of time. Since Deadwing was my introduction I will vote for that but they are all
great albums.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »

-Marc.

Where did you get Always Recurring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1v3_euY0-4

I first heard it on here, and then found the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsQP4dE61Tw

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »
Voted for The Incident, because it needs love and no one else will give it. For shame...

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 04:03:08 AM »
Fear
Absentia
DW
TI

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »
In Absentia is the best thing they ever released.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 06:05:10 PM »
I voted for Deadwing because it's my favourite record of theirs. But it was hard not to vote for Fear of a Blank Planet purely because of "Anesthetize", which is my all-time favourite Porcupine Tree song.
Brave
Murder
Day