Author Topic: Melodic Prog/Power Metal Bands Recommendations  (Read 3157 times)

Offline bassbangered

• Media Manager | Bass Player | Hero in Training! 💪🏻
Melodic Prog/Power Metal Bands Recommendations
« on: September 10, 2017, 03:08:20 AM »
Hi guys & gals!

Just wondering if you could recommend me some new (or not so new) melodic prog/power metal bands. To give an idea of what I'm looking for,  I would say that my favorite prog/power metal bands are Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder & DGM.

Other prog bands that I like are Haken, Devin Townsend Project (Addicted, Epicloud & Sky Blue albums) & Myrath. I'm recently getting hooked with Anubis Gate's lastest albums, since they changed their singer (their previous singer had a 'power metal' voice with too much vibrato, I can't stand that).

Some other non-prog bands that I like that might give more insight about my musical preferences are Amaranthe, Alter Bridge, Babymetal, Bon Jovi, Crossfade, Crush 40, Daughtry, Dirty Loops, Disturbed, Empyrios, Epica, Halestorm, Icon for Hire, Lamb of God, Linkin Park, Nickelback, Nightwish, Smash into Pieces and 3 Doors Down.

The reason I give all this information is to give you guys a better scope of my musical preferences. I don't like bands that are overly technical with no passion and "drive". The DRIVE ELEMENT in metal for me is VERY IMPORTANT; I mean by that by having "badass" heavy riffs and double bass pedal (even though it DOESN'T have to be ALL tbe time). Also, good & catchy melodies are extremely important for me too!

Now that I think about it, you can also recommend me non-prog/power bands that I might like based on what I posted. I'll greatly appreciate your responses. Thanks! ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Melodic Prog/Power Metal Bands Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 04:19:42 AM »
Some of these may not be totally what you're asking for, but the bolded ones you should like;

Angra
Ark
Between the Buried and Me
Blind Guardian
Borealis
Cloudscape
Crimson Glory
Evergrey
Fates Warning
Firewind
Kamelot
King Diamond
Last Tribe
Masterplan
Pain of Salvation
Pendragon
Pyramaze
Redemption
Savatage
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Symphony X
Threshold
Vanden Plas
Vision Divine

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 04:48:09 AM »
I'll second wolfking's list (with a couple of exceptions for my personal tastes).  Two glaring omission - and I'm stunned he missed it since HE is the one that got me in to this .... anything by Magnus Karlsson.  Allen/Lande (but NOT the fourth album), Planet Alliance, Magnus Karlsson's FreeFall, The Codex, Kiske/Somerville, Primal Fear, and this year's release, The Ferrymen.  That should get you started.

The other thing he missed, Tobias Sammet's two bands - Avantasia and Edguy

/thread

Report back to us when you've completed your assignment.   ;D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 04:53:10 AM »
I'll second wolfking's list (with a couple of exceptions for my personal tastes).  Two glaring omission - and I'm stunned he missed it since HE is the one that got me in to this .... anything by Magnus Karlsson.  Allen/Lande (but NOT the fourth album), Planet Alliance, Magnus Karlsson's FreeFall, The Codex, Kiske/Somerville, Primal Fear, and this year's release, The Ferrymen.  That should get you started.

The other thing he missed, Tobias Sammet's two bands - Avantasia and Edguy

/thread

Report back to us when you've completed your assignment.   ;D

Last Tribe

Hmmmm......

I thought about Edguy and Avantasia but thought it might have been leaning too much towards Power Metal, but yeah considering the rest of my quick list, they definitely should be on there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 04:54:46 AM »
Queensryche another major omission if you don't already know them bassbangered.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:13:17 AM »
I second Wolfking on Angra, haven't put much thought into it but they were literally the first band to spring to mind.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »
Stratovarius is the greatest metal band of all time and if you don't listen to them you need to rectify this egregious oversight in your listening. Go grab Episode and Visions and thank me later. Seriously, most of their faster songs' double bass drumming is so definitive of melodic power metal that I've often seen the style referred to as 'Jorg Michael drumming' (their most well known drummer). He's also a German beast who just beats the living mess out of the drums. HUGE sound.

Or, if you don't like Stratovarius, we can fight to the death.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »
You'll enjoy Stratovarious.

Also Triosphere.

Pretty much check out the progpower festival lineups. You'll find some gems there.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
Stratovarius is the greatest metal band of all time and if you don't listen to them you need to rectify this egregious oversight in your listening. Go grab Episode and Visions and thank me later. Seriously, most of their faster songs' double bass drumming is so definitive of melodic power metal that I've often seen the style referred to as 'Jorg Michael drumming' (their most well known drummer). He's also a German beast who just beats the living mess out of the drums. HUGE sound.

I remember listening to Stratovarius back in like '05/'06, when I first got into power metal. I loved Sonata Arctica back then and I just thought that Stratovarius were similar, but not as good. I must admit I've not listened to them since then (and I don't listen to much power metal at all nowadays). Maybe I should give them another try, afterall it's been over 10 years  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »
I thought I would be able to contribute something when I saw the thread title, but Kade and Chad already got me covered. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bassbangered

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 03:34:21 PM »
Thanks a lot guys!

I'll begin my assignment on listening to your recommendations. There's a couple of bands posted here that I've already heard, but for some reason I didn't got into them. I'll give them another try to see if that works ;)

Even though I said prog/power, I often find that a hard time liking power metal bands, mainly because of their singer (they tend to have too much vibrato when they go for high notes).

These are recent discoveries that I liked and is somewhat what I'm looking for:

Anubis Gate - Desiderio Omnibus: https://youtu.be/vn_QLNtJCP0
Anubis Gate - Revolution Come Undone: https://youtu.be/71Ag2LmMDHU

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 04:30:25 PM »
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder + Follow the Reaper. The energy will blow your Face/Off. Badass riffs, incredibly catchy melodies and double bass up the ASS. Based on your writeup, they fit the bill like a glove.

Symphony X - Underworld. My favorite album of the past many years.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 08:20:55 PM »

I remember listening to Stratovarius back in like '05/'06, when I first got into power metal. I loved Sonata Arctica back then and I just thought that Stratovarius were similar, but not as good. I must admit I've not listened to them since then (and I don't listen to much power metal at all nowadays). Maybe I should give them another try, afterall it's been over 10 years  :lol

If you're ever curious about them, their last four albums, since Tolkki left, have been absolutely spectacular, each one - in my opinion - better than the last, with their latest, Eternal, being probably top 3 albums they've ever written. They picked a real winner with the guy who replaced Tolkki, both in playing and songwriting...

Bonus points on Kotipelto's high notes, they're smooth and sexy like Michael Kiske.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 08:40:53 PM »
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder + Follow the Reaper. The energy will blow your Face/Off. Badass riffs, incredibly catchy melodies and double bass up the ASS. Based on your writeup, they fit the bill like a glove.

Good call.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
And for bands that no one else will recommend here's Prospekt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV9lR6V5D4o

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 12:39:44 AM »

Good call.

Seconded, these two albums are just perfect from start to finish. No other band sound quite like them. I wish they were still putting out music as good as they were in the early 00's.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 05:21:23 AM »

Good call.

Seconded, these two albums are just perfect from start to finish. No other band sound quite like them. I wish they were still putting out music as good as they were in the early 00's.

It's frustrating and sad listening to what they put out now compared to those two albums, they are lightyears apart.  Hatecrew I'd add in as almost as good as those two, and Are You Dead Yet? had some good stuff too.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »

Good call.

It's frustrating and sad listening to what they put out now compared to those two albums, they are lightyears apart.  Hatecrew I'd add in as almost as good as those two, and Are You Dead Yet? had some good stuff too.
Agreed. Hate Crew took a bit longer to grow on me, but it's right up there with the other two. Triple Corpse Hammerblow is possibly my favorite CoB song, that chord change at 1:26, wow. What are the best songs on Are You Dead Yet? ?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 07:18:56 AM »
Blind Guardian
Seconding this! And I'm not even a fan of power metal  :P
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 07:21:17 AM »
Speaking of CoB, if anyone wants to buy my copy of Blooddrunk they're more than welcome to take it off my hands :lol

Offline bassbangered

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
Thanks guys!

I would say I'm starting to get hooked with Kamelot (specially Black Halo & Ghost Opera albums). I'll see if I get hooked with other recommendations. Thanks again! :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 07:17:24 PM »

Good call.

Agreed. Hate Crew took a bit longer to grow on me, but it's right up there with the other two. Triple Corpse Hammerblow is possibly my favorite CoB song, that chord change at 1:26, wow. What are the best songs on Are You Dead Yet? ?

Living Dead Beat
If You Want Peace...Prepare for War
Trashed Lost and Strungout

The others are okay but looking at the tracklist now, yeah a big stepdown from the albums that came before it.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
A couple of 'maze' bands:

Teramaze:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVLHhuApV28

They're a bit more on the proggy side of melodic metal.  Their older albums were more progressive-tinged thrash.

Pyramaze:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVLHhuApV28
Pyramaze:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31PQCHXqM2c (with MATT BARLOW  :metal )

Full on melodic/power metal.  They have had a few singers, including the godly Matt Barlow, but the first link is from their first album with their current singer.  The album with Barlow featured a fuller guitar tone to beef up their sound.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:47:27 AM by Grappler »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 04:29:56 AM »
I think you'll find that any band with "maze" in its name rocks.  Same goes for "mind".

Ergo, Mindmaze is something worth checking out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 09:01:49 AM »
I'm a massive Kamelot fan and I'm glad to hear TC is enjoying Black Halo and Ghost Opera. Personally, I'm in the very small minority that thinks Poetry For The Poisoned is their best work, but Ghost Opera is right behind it. They're definitely 'the' power metal band everyone seems to love even if they're not power metal fans - not unlike Nightwish, really.

Though honestly I really don't care at all for Silverthorn and Haven, and I think Black Halo is highly overrated. I prefer Kamelot when they aren't doing concept albums, hence why I love Poetry and Ghost Opera so much. A few great songs on Silver and Haven but otherwise eh.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »
I'd recommend Notcurnal Rites, they have a new album coming out and since you mentioned Bon Jovi, I always thought the singer sounded like the power metal version of Bon Jovi.  I feel like we have a lot of bands we both like, that band immediately came to mind and I think you'd really enjoy them. 

Also, +1 on Kamelot.  The Black Halo is one of my all time favorite albums of any band.

Offline bassbangered

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »
Thanks again guys!

I'm slowly listening to your recommendations. Replying to the latest posts, I liked Teramaze more when they were "trash prog" (it gave them more personality and were more "badass", in my opinion). I heard a couple of Pyramaze tracks and they sound promising. I also heard Mindmaze and it had a bit of "hard rock" vibe, but cool nonetheless.

I read that some of you recommended me Children of Bodom, but I'm not in the mood of growling vocals at the moment (I don't like growling bands, except for a very few exceptions). But thanks anyway! I appreciate it a lot! :)

As I said before, I'm getting hooked with Kamelot's Black Halo, Ghost Opera, and now I started to listen to, Poetry for the Poisoned.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 06:52:58 PM »
I haven't been able to stop listening to Volbeat's "Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood" album since I got it months ago. They opened on Metallica's latest tour and blew me away. It was something different that I hadn't heard in a long time. Might be worth a listen for you, although it's not too progressive. Comparing to some bands on your list, I'd say they are a bit Alter Bridge meets Daughtry; off the list: Metallica meets Social Distortion.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 08:08:28 PM »
Check out Witherfall. They only have one album out right now, but holy hell is it a great album. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 01:29:49 AM »
I haven't been able to stop listening to Volbeat's "Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood" album since I got it months ago. They opened on Metallica's latest tour and blew me away. It was something different that I hadn't heard in a long time. Might be worth a listen for you, although it's not too progressive. Comparing to some bands on your list, I'd say they are a bit Alter Bridge meets Daughtry; off the list: Metallica meets Social Distortion.

I got obsessed with Volbeat when I discovered them in early 2013. All their albums sound pretty similar but they're all great imo. I'd agree that they sound like Metallica meets Social Distortion but also with some Johnny Cash and Glen Danzig thrown in. Great band, if kind of one dimensional.

Offline Tommygre

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 04:21:26 AM »
Hello, since you love SW, CM and DGM, as i am(i was obsessed with CM first two albums until Nine and Havoc which they sound poppy to me) i totally recommend you the grandfathers Shadow Gallery and Symphony X.
On the Italian side, alongise DGM i would recommend you Empyrios and Secret Sphere.
Because i emphasize on the vocals and the positive energy of the music, Mikael Erriksen and Tommy kraveric remain my favorite vocalists after Russel Allen and Geoff Tate, but listen to this
https://youtu.be/g0ZiBf8K1Es

As for DGM vocalist, check out also his first band i think
https://youtu.be/adiZQamT5a4
Probably you know Pagan's Mind and Andromeda.
Last but not least, from France, i was also obsessed with Speric universe experience first album, mental Torments.

As for a new band i found out, thank god Spotify, i recommend you give a listen to Anthriel.
https://youtu.be/UyDPSsP6vTA
Totally catchy song with great instrumental finishing.
Greetings from Greece btw ;D

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 08:45:41 AM »
Thanks guys!

I would say I'm starting to get hooked with Kamelot (specially Black Halo & Ghost Opera albums). I'll see if I get hooked with other recommendations. Thanks again! :)

If you like Kamelot, you might want to check out Serenity. I recommend starting with "Death & Legacy" and "Lionheart".