Author Topic: Eren Başbuğ beginings  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Drinktheater

Eren Başbuğ beginings
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »
 I know Jordan Rudess discovered Eren Başbuğ thru youtube when Ren made a cover of the SDOIT and Octavarium suites.

And from what I know from there Jordan called him and ask him to tour with him in Turkey for the Explorations solo project and then he end up in Boston Berklee and was hired by John Petrucci to arrange and conduct the Orchestral parts for the DT12 Suite Illumination Theory and the live concert breaking the 4th wall as well.

What I want to know if is there a short documentary,an article or a video out there that details Eren Basbug's journey to Dream Theater land? 

-Did Rudess personally helped Eren get the Scholarship in Berklee in anyway? like Financial,connections or recomendations?
-What does the rest of the DT members think about Eren is he close to lets say James,JM,JP or Mike Portnoy and Mike Mangini? From what I can see looks like he is already good friends with Mr.Jordan Rudess.

I think this is one of the most inspiring things to happen with regards to DT Eren who happened to be a talented Musician him self made a school project posted it in youtube and got the chance of a lifetime to play with one of his favorite bands!

I see he is really skilled and very hardworking its not like he just made a crappy video in youtube and got hire but still its really big! He still came out of nowhere this does not happen very often in the Modern Prog Metal industry.

In this video you can see Eren and his friends messing around with Jordan Rudess I wish I see him work with DT more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ox_itaCygI
And she listens openly

Offline Eren

Re: Eren Başbuğ beginings
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:32:13 AM »
Hey! Thanks for the questions and the kind words.

1. He wrote me a wonderful recommendation letter.
2. Well I hope they think good of me! Mostly as a friend of Jordan's, I guess.

There's a great article on MusicRadar from back in Explorations' premiere, for the history of things; https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/dream-theaters-jordan-rudess-premieres-explorations-in-us-with-a-surprise-360988

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
Hey! Thanks for the questions and the kind words.

1. He wrote me a wonderful recommendation letter.
2. Well I hope they think good of me! Mostly as a friend of Jordan's, I guess.

There's a great article on MusicRadar from back in Explorations' premiere, for the history of things; https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/dream-theaters-jordan-rudess-premieres-explorations-in-us-with-a-surprise-360988

Hey Eren thanks for the reply,I am sure they think good of you I just saw a few interviews with John Petrucci with regards to the DT12 about you making the arrangements.

I am just curious about the process and how you and JP and the rest of the band coordinated for the Dream Theater album. Although I know DT and you can't just post everything you do in the studio to the public, I just wondered how it went down.

Cheers.
And she listens openly

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »
And Jordan discovered Eren through YouTube based on me sending Jordan an email with the link ;)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
And Jordan discovered Eren through YouTube based on me sending Jordan an email with the link ;)

So it's YOUR fault?

/joking
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 01:30:27 PM »
I started following Eren in youtube I think during the time they are beginning  the explorations project but before that I already saw his Octavarium suite so when I found out that he will be the one to arrange and conduct the DT12 I was like wow holly.... That is great!

And when I saw the videos for the Breaking the 4th wall.. It was really a blast that is so inspiring.

And she listens openly

Offline Eren

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 03:19:35 PM »

So it's YOUR fault?

/joking

It's absolutely his fault. I basically owe him the life path I've been on.

Hey Eren thanks for the reply,I am sure they think good of you I just saw a few interviews with John Petrucci with regards to the DT12 about you making the arrangements.

I am just curious about the process and how you and JP and the rest of the band coordinated for the Dream Theater album. Although I know DT and you can't just post everything you do in the studio to the public, I just wondered how it went down.

Cheers.

I received some materials few months prior to the session, prepared things on my end, went to the studio very well prepared by RC - probably the fastest and most professional orchestral recording session I've ever done, besides Rich only JP and JR were there, orchestra arrived and sight-read the whole thing, we took few takes and finished in few hours, listened to what we've recorded, JR randomly let me record maybe eight measures of keys in a song (don't remember which from the sheer bliss and panic), we listened some other previews from the album, took pictures together and that was it. It was a very welcoming, calm yet deeply-focused and environment.