Author Topic: 2017 NFL Pick'Em  (Read 6288 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2017 NFL Pick'Em
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 11:44:20 AM »
Forgot to update my picks for the early slate of games today, so we'll see how my all home team selection goes.
It might actually get you a bonus win, as you probably wouldn't have picked NYG under normal circumstances. It'll likely be offset by that Cleveland thing, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
In 25+ years of doing this I've never had a perfect week. Jingle is 14-0 right now with two easily makable picks remaining. Ain't gonna help him none, but still pretty remarkable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »
In 25+ years of doing this I've never had a perfect week. Jingle is 14-0 right now with two easily makable picks remaining. Ain't gonna help him none, but still pretty remarkable.
[/quote

Kinda compensates for the week I got 4... and that wasn't because I missed submitting my early picks!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 06:14:06 PM »
I've had my share of 3-13s and 14-2s. Think I had a 15-1 once. Upon further recollection, I don't think I've ever even seen a 16-0, though. It's plenty hard to do, as you'll probably find out when Tampa pulls off a miracle upset thanks to a 97 yard kick return with 9 laterals.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
No shit right... the margin between a W and an L sometimes is so slim - as evidenced by Pitt/NE today
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 04:52:54 AM »
No shit right... the margin between a W and an L sometimes is so slim - as evidenced by Pitt/NE today

And Oak/Dal... holy cow.  Now THAT call the refs got right.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 06:41:40 AM »
^
The 'index card' measurement?

omg, that was frickin' hilarious to watch

Next thing you know, they'll have a standard credit card sized object (aka Leslie Nielson in 'Naked Gun') on a key chain, attached to their belt, for similar type of rulings in the future. :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 06:56:03 AM »
^
The 'index card' measurement?

omg, that was frickin' hilarious to watch

Next thing you know, they'll have a standard credit card sized object (aka Leslie Nielson in 'Naked Gun') on a key chain, attached to their belt, for similar type of rulings in the future. :D

Yeah, that was pretty laughable. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »

Think I should take a screenshot of the results, as this will be the peak of my Football prowess.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 06:58:34 AM »
jingle....sixteen and 0....MC Hammer's 'Can't Touch This' comes to mind.

And...'We're not worthy!!!!' 

Holy crap on a cracker! 

El Barto    153-71
Rattlehead      153-71
DragonAttack    149-75
pogoowner      149-75
jingle.boy      144-80
Stadler       144-80
Cool Chris      143-81
DoC        142-82
YtseBitsySpider    139-85
Splent   135-89
axeman9182    74-150
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2017, 07:49:17 AM »
And still only middle of the pack  :lol.  Weeks 11 and 12 killed me when I was 4-6 points behind everyone for both weeks.  A little luck this week sure helped, but with a lot of 13s on the board, there weren't a lot of surprises.

Time to see how bad I can suck it this week.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2017, 08:49:56 AM »
Yeah, but...Mister Costanza, I've never done it, and truly doubt I ever will.  The perfect response to a perfect week.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2017, 06:20:06 PM »
Kudos to Jingle; no doubt about it this wasn't a gimme week. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »
Merry Christmas, Rattlehead. Be sure and drink a toast to my carelessness.

Had I imported my picks from the other league I'd have picked a game up with Cinci.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2017, 10:06:53 PM »
Oh dude... why not at least put SOMETHING in for your picks so you don't miss/forget a deadline.   :facepalm:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2017, 11:45:09 AM »
Oh dude... why not at least put SOMETHING in for your picks so you don't miss/forget a deadline.   :facepalm:
There's a reason, but it hardly matters now. I do make default picks for oddball games. Thur, Sat, and London games I pick at the beginning of the year. As for everything else I make Sunday morning in my money league and just import them into my DTF league. Busy Christmas eve morning I just forgot.

Damn shame in this case as I finally would have taken the lead for the first time this year.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »

Had I imported my picks from the other league I'd have picked a game up with Cinci.

I'm actually more disappointed than anything, it was fun to battle over the 1st place spot with you. Plus if I do end up winning, it won't feel right since you missed those picks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2017, 06:41:03 PM »
Not sure why I opened this thread, but did Chad really go 16-0 in a week? That's beyond impressive, not sure I've ever seen anyone do that before.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2017, 04:29:43 AM »

:lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2017, 09:55:15 AM »

I'm actually more disappointed than anything, it was fun to battle over the 1st place spot with you. Plus if I do end up winning, it won't feel right since you missed those picks.
Yeah, sorry. I feel worse about fucking up your potential victory than not winning myself.

Unofficially (the season's yours) I picked up 1 game on you. I had Cinci and the rest of our picks were the same. That would have been my first lead of the season, I believe.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
There's a reason, but it hardly matters now. I do make default picks for oddball games. Thur, Sat, and London games I pick at the beginning of the year. As for everything else I make Sunday morning in my money league and just import them into my DTF league. Busy Christmas eve morning I just forgot.

Damn shame in this case as I finally would have taken the lead for the first time this year.

Her name better be "Amber" or "Cinnamon" or "Destiny".   

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
My first try last year, without knowing that predictions continued on through the playoffs until after the WildCard weekend.  So, I still have a chance this year.  As is, I'm pretty proud of a 2nd or 3rd place finish in such a topsy turvy season (unless someone lower goes 16 and 0.  One never knows.......)

1   Rattlehead    166-74
2   pogoowner     162-78
   DragonAttack  162-78
4   jingle.boy   158-82
5   Stadler   158-82
   El Barto   158-82
7   Cool Chris   157-83
8   DoC   154-86
9   YtseBitsySpider   151-89
10   Splent   146-94
11   axeman9182   74-166

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
This is only my second year doing this. Is an 8 point differential at this stage between the top 6 standard? Seems like a tight race.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
My first try last year, without knowing that predictions continued on through the playoffs until after the WildCard weekend.  So, I still have a chance this year.  As is, I'm pretty proud of a 2nd or 3rd place finish in such a topsy turvy season (unless someone lower goes 16 and 0.  One never knows.......)

1   Rattlehead    166-74
2   pogoowner     162-78
   DragonAttack  162-78
4   jingle.boy   158-82
5   Stadler   158-82
   El Barto   158-82
7   Cool Chris   157-83
8   DoC   154-86
9   YtseBitsySpider   151-89
10   Splent   146-94
11   axeman9182   74-166

Why is Jingle 4, and El Barto and I are tied for 5 with the same record?    I feel I'm tied for third no matter how you look at it.   :) :) :)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »
This is only my second year doing this. Is an 8 point differential at this stage between the top 6 standard? Seems like a tight race.
Most 16 game weeks you're lucky to get more than a 2 game swing. Making up 4 games in a week is highly unlikely. Since you'd have to string together several 2 or 3 game swings over a few weeks, Rattlehead (and formerly myself) had this mostly wrapped up a week or two ago. This seems to me pretty typical and not particularly tight anymore.
E.F. Benson

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2017, 07:36:23 PM »
Why is Jingle 4, and El Barto and I are tied for 5 with the same record?    I feel I'm tied for third no matter how you look at it.   :) :) :)

(actually, tied for 4th, but.....)

It's the 'new math' ;)  Meanwhile, Murphy Brown fires yet another proofreader.....

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »
Very impressed by jingle going 16-0 earlier. Best I managed during the few weeks I tried doing this was 12-4. Then of course I followed it up the following week with a 4-12 record. Oh well. The NFL giveth, and the NFL taketh away.

I definitely would like to join this next year. I discovered it too late to take part this year.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2018, 08:30:56 AM »
Congrats to Rattlehead for winning the regular season championship.  (darn, I went 8-8 to lose out on a 2nd place finish). 

A reminder that playoff picks still continue...one never knows how the final standings could turn out.  Someone might do a jingleboy, be perfect, and move way up

1   Rattlehead     176-80
2   pogoowner      171-85
3   DragonAttack   170-86
4   jingle.boy   168-88
   Stadler   168-88
   El Barto   168-88
7   Cool Chris    166-90
8   DoC    162-94
9   YtseBitsySpider    159-97
10   Splent   154-102
11   axeman9182   74-182
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:08:46 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2018, 10:57:36 PM »
Wow 5 2-2s and 3 1-3s. Everyone picked KC and LAR.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2018, 06:18:53 AM »
Yeah.... fugly choices.  I'm actually surprised there wasn't a legitimate 0-4.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2018, 06:31:18 AM »
I'm not at all surprised that everyone took the Chiefs, but I'm kind of stunned there wasn't at least one Atlanta pick.  I know they haven't been playing well, but in one game, Ryan/Jones is something to be reckoned with.  I honestly thought the Rams would step up, but alas I was wrong.

Couldn't have been happier about that NO-Carolina game. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2018, 08:20:10 AM »
I went 2-2 straight and 2-2 ATS (we pick both in the playoffs). Crappy week, but pretty much par for the course. Generally good teams make it to the playoffs and there's a lot of parity. It's pretty common for us to go 7-1 one weekend and 2-6 the next.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2018, 06:04:34 PM »
Holy crap, I'm the ONLY person to pick the Vikes today?    WOW.  I mean, I'm glad I'm wrong, because my heart is in New Orleans, but my brain was convinced Minnesota was going to win this at home.

Cool Chris is on fire, by the way, if New Orleans keeps this lead. 

EDIT: I gooched you!  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:12:10 PM by Stadler »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
Reminder that the conference championship game picks need to be placed.....

Playoffs:  so far, seven of eight games have been in doubt with less than three minutes, so I don't understand the complaining about the games not being good.  Granted, J'ville-Buffalo was not something one puts into a time machine as to QB play, but it was always a one score game.  Philly-Atlanta.....that was my favorite game so far.

I remember making my picks last week:  I took Philly in a chilly, outdoor stadium against the Falcons.  There were reasons other than Wentz that they went 13-3.  Came down to one defensive stop.  I took the Saints....not because I was dismissing the Vikings, but because it was in a dome.

This week:  temps are now in the 40s, 50s tomorrow.  That will help the Vikes.  I think that's why they win it.

Been dismissive of the Jaguars up until the latter half of the season.  They haven't been on the radar for years, and their unis suck worse than the Bucs and Bengals.  Coughlin has really made the difference.  But...how do you bet against the NE regime?

I really want to hold onto third place.........

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 08:04:36 AM »
And now we can officially congratulate Rattlehead, who becomes the 2nd two-time winner of this thing.  :tup

2009 ScurvyDreams
2010 Pogoowner
2011 El Barto
2012 jcmistat
2013 Kevshmev
2014 El Barto
2015 Rattlehead
2016 Cool Chris
2017 Rattlehead
E.F. Benson