Author Topic: 2017 NFL Pick'Em  (Read 6292 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
2017 NFL Pick'Em
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:51:51 PM »
And, off we go. Can't find an option to email last year's participants so this is the only notice. Using your DTF username will keep some of us from cursing you on a regular basis.

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem/register/joingroup
Group ID: 37797
Passwrod: bartorules

2009 ScurvyDreams
2010 Pogoowner
2011 El Barto
2012 jcmistat
2013 Kevshmev
2014 El Barto
2015 Rattlehead
2016 Cool Chris
2017 Rattlehead
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:15:42 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2017 NFL Pick'Em
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:27:55 PM »
Totally forgot I won this last year. Signed up!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 06:29:02 AM »
Sure, why not.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:38:42 AM »
I had one week - ONE WEEK! - where I forgot picks and it took me out of contention.   I'm setting reminders and notices, and THAT mistake won't happen again!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »
Giddyup.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 02:36:26 AM »
What I loved about this were two things:  it gave me digital proof on line in a league that I had been in for years (because I did the same picks in a handwritten league),....and.... to show that I do know a thing or two as to my knowledge of picking games, even though I do not offer many opinions on the NFL thread.

Stadler.......I sympathize.  I was holding my own, staying within a few games of second, plus or minus a game or three of you throughout the season, even after CoolChris grabbed an insurmountable lead.  And then I missed a Thursday night pick and two Saturdays near the end.  I stupidly went really crazy on my picks the last couple of weekends to try and make up ground (like an idiot.....FAIL !).

Went from 3rd to 6th somewhat quickly.  Still proud of what I did in the end.

And....if you look at the 'survivor' pool.....Dr.DVDT and I set a record for the longest tie before his ultimate win.  BUT....I picked the Browns to beat the Chargers in Week 16 (won five bills on that one).....so, I feel I get a free pass this entire season if I make a totally goofy pick or two ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
What I loved about this were two things:  it gave me digital proof on line in a league that I had been in for years (because I did the same picks in a handwritten league),....and.... to show that I do know a thing or two as to my knowledge of picking games, even though I do not offer many opinions on the NFL thread.
Same here. A buddy and I have been doing this nearly 25 years playing for a bottle of firewater. We switched to this online version for simplicity. There is a downside, though. Things become quite a bit more strict. In the old days if one of us got a pick in late it wasn't really a problem. We've both overslept and whatnot, and neither of us are going to cheat the other. Thursday night at 7:45:

Dude, you know there's a game, right?
What? Fuck. Uh, Bengals.
Alrighty, then.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:02:01 AM »
A marathon, not a sprint, but finally, for one week, I sit alone atop the leader board.

(will try not to let any Dodgeritis become involved....)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »
Picking up where I left off last season, I am doing terribly.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 10:51:22 PM »
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. It's early.

And something I just noticed, Houston and Cincinnati have let down every participant in the first two weeks. 
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 11:12:05 AM »
Apparently last week was pretty easy to pick - 4-way tie with 13 correct calls.

Methinks this week is gonna be a tad tougher.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »
I'm doing terrible. What else is new?

I'll stick through until the end though, unlike SOME people who do poorly...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »
WOW... lots of upsets this week.  I thought I was doing shit, but I guess my ballsy pics to take Wash and Tenn paid off.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 07:27:06 AM »
^
The only person with double digit wins (only two others above .500), and you're now leading the pack.

I'll try to remember leading the first two weeks, as I slowly slide into my normal 3rd-6th place position.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »
I thought I did shit this week... then I saw how everyone else did.

:omg:

What a f'd up week.  This week doesn't look any more 'predictable' either.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »
Yeah I am getting smoked. Looks like last year was just beginner's luck for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
Week 5 was the toughest to pick I've seen in ages. I did quite well. Last week was as easy as they come and I got clobbered. Five consensus picks losing is something else.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 05:14:26 AM »
jingle.boy           60-31 (who gained at least two games on the pack with a monster 9-6 record)
DragonAttack   57-34
Rattlehead           56-35
El Barto           55-36
pogoowner           54-37
Stadler           52-39
DoC                   51-40
YtseBitsySpider   50-41
Cool Chris           50-41
axeman9182   49-42
Splent           46-45

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 06:15:40 AM »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »
This looks like fun. Remind me next September to have a go at this.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 08:47:21 AM »
I don't think I've ever successfully picked the Patriots to lose. No matter how lopsided the game appears to be they find a way to win. Falcons v. weak Patriots D missing half its secondary. Right. Thankfully, this was not a money-game.

When I first started doing this .750 was the good benchmark. That was your hundred yard game, and what you expected to do each week. With free agency and the parity it introduced that dropped down to .666. I was disappointed when that became the norm. It looks bad. Now the first place team is batting .647. In ten years we'll be into coin-toss territory.

E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
And there goes the lead.  The odd-ball picks I made this week - because that's the way the NFL had been this year - did not pay off (9rs and Falcons).  Plus, I think Denver is my kryptonite.... I'm 1-5 with their games.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
This entire week is a trap. Pretty easy to pick, I blew through it in about 30 minutes, but there aren't many of the games I actually feel good about. I see 8 games that could go the wrong way and not surprise me in the least.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 03:18:49 PM »
This entire week is a trap. Pretty easy to pick, I blew through it in about 30 minutes, but there aren't many of the games I actually feel good about. I see 8 games that could go the wrong way and not surprise me in the least.

30 minutes!!  :omg:  Shit man, I haven't spent 30 minutes on the entire season.  I make my picks on Tuesday mornings in about 2 minutes or less, and rarely change anything.  Gut feel only.  Zero research or review.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »

30 minutes!!  :omg:  Shit man, I haven't spent 30 minutes on the entire season.  I make my picks on Tuesday mornings in about 2 minutes or less, and rarely change anything.  Gut feel only.  Zero research or review.
Yeah, everybody's going to have their own routine. Myself, I enjoy spending an hour or so on a chilly Sunday morning drinking coffee and picking games. Gut feeling certainly plays a big part in it, but a few minutes of research can win you some games that don't work out the obvious way.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 05:10:55 PM »

Yeah, everybody's going to have their own routine. Myself, I enjoy spending an hour or so on a chilly Sunday morning drinking coffee and picking games. Gut feeling certainly plays a big part in it, but a few minutes of research can win you some games that don't work out the obvious way.

Oh for sure... like when I picked Oakland a few weeks back not knowing that Carr was injured!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 08:07:49 AM »

I'm somewhere in between.   95% gut, unless there's a key injury.  I'll usually check the status of guys like Ben, or, when he was playing, Andrew, but for the most part, gut.    And I RARELY (if ever) change a pick unless there is a major injury in the meantime.   I have a tendency to overthink this crap, and that leads to 5 win weeks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »
Apparently it *was* an easy week to pick.  Finally a week where pretty much everyone that was supposed to win.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »
I've been + or - 2 games of 1st place all year......and then I do a total mother clunking 6-7 week :facepalm:  I mean, wow :tdwn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 06:57:09 AM »
The problem now is that there aren't a ton of games that can separate - or close - the pack.   For someone like me - in the middle of the hunt - I basically have to hope that a) someone above me tanks two or three weeks in a row, and b) I don't tank those same weeks.   It's a tall order. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »
Well, I somewhat righted the ship last weekend.  I did my part of slipping the previous weekend.  Time for those above us to follow suit one time.

El Barto   97-49
Rattlehead    97-49
jingle.boy    95-51
DragonAttack   94-52
pogoowner    93-53
Stadler    91-55
Cool Chris   87-59
YtseBitsySpider   87-59
DoC   86-60
Splent   85-61
axeman9182   66-80

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 08:11:52 AM »
Nice little fight with Rattlehead for first place. I've tied the dude numerous times, but have yet to overtake him. Needed last night to tie him again after losing one Sunday. Pogo and DA are still in the running, as well. If I'm not mistaken, all previous winners, to boot.

Got a similar battle going on in my money league, but I'm Rattlehead over there with a 3 game lead at the moment.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
I've moved up to a tie for third, but I basically have no shot beyond that, other than bragging rights.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »
Horrible week. My long shot picks didn’t come in, and the “sure things” weren’t so “sure”.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
Forgot to update my picks for the early slate of games today, so we'll see how my all home team selection goes.