Author Topic: The dreaded banana peel  (Read 375 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The dreaded banana peel
« on: September 01, 2017, 06:19:53 AM »
Some stuff you just can't make up. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

http://thedmonline.com/greek-life-retreat-ends-abruptly-bias-concerns/

I weep for the future.  Check that: I weep for the present. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
Re: The dreaded banana peel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 06:55:44 AM »

@ the article.
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 07:00:38 AM »
What kind of asshole in the middle of the woods would put a banana peel in a tree? Leave it on the ground for critters to find and enjoy.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 07:09:06 AM »
What kind of asshole in the middle of the woods would put a banana peel in a tree? Leave it on the ground for critters to find and enjoy.

Birds and squirrels get the munchies too!
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 07:42:21 AM »
Can we please be more sensitive to the squirrels?  Can we please give them the space they need to process their feelings? 

This makes me nauseous, and actually sours me on the REAL plights of minorities in this country.   If you're taking umbrage with a banana peel, you're LITERALLY just looking for something to be offended about. 

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 07:59:03 AM »
Okay, this has got to be the worst-written article I have read in awhile.  If you read it carefully, there actually is some VERY important context to this whole thing.  I was perfectly ready to jump all over those who are "offended over nothing" as being WAY too oversensitive.  But there is an important piece of context buried WAY down the article (which I almost missed because I was skimming and was just about to give up and close the browser).  Anyway, the important context, for those who may have missed it is this:

One of the attendees, who had been elected as the first female black student government president, had previously and very recently been taunted on the morning she took office by bananas hanging from nooses from trees around campus, with her sorority inscribed on them (so as to apparently make it clear that it was aimed at her).  In light of that, I can actually see how the seemingly innocent banana peel in a tree would be seen in an entirely different light.  And knowing that, as you read through the article, it is pretty clear that a lot of people in attendance made exactly that connection without having to be told to make that connection.  I'm actually going to side with the students on this one.  Given the context of what had happened on campus a short time prior, their offense is perfectly understandable. 

What IS offensive is that the article is so poorly written that the context falls completely by the wayside if you aren't paying pretty close attention.  I was literally a split second away from closing my browser when I my eyes stumbled on that fact and my brain said, "Whoa, wait a minute here--there's more to the story." 

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »
Yup. Moreover, there's also a somewhat long history of African football players having bananas thrown at them during games. That was the correlation I immediately thought of. Like it or not, bananas have long been a symbol for racist fucks.

As much as I despise the left's inability to think critically about intent, context, meaning, etc., stories like this present the same problem for people on the other side. The "right," for lack of a better word, laps up stories about people being oversensitive as they're such easy targets for ridicule, often times to the exclusion of a meaningful point. Confirmation bias is a bitch.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 12:15:21 PM »
No argument for either of you on context (I DID see that reference), but the guy who put it there stood up IMMEDIATELY and stated his case.  He didn't hide, he wasn't outed, he wasn't evasive.  He said "I did it and here's why".  And yet the flood STILL raged.   

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
The article is so poorly written that I have a hard time discerning what the "flood" was.  :lol  But, yeah, I'm not going to say that people still aren't over-sensitive or that the reaction wasn't overblown.  But the reaction is a LOT more understandable given the context than we might otherwise have thought.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 04:59:45 PM »
It did seem the article was trying to make something out of nothing. The guy admitted he put the banana on the tree, his mistake. It was just a simple reaction from him after eating banana and not wanting to liter.
 Clearly he wasn't really paying attention to know the banana is decomposable to just toss it on the ground, good nutrients for the trees and surrounding plants. And obviously that incident wasn't on his mind at the time. According to the picture the banana is on the tree on hanging off a noose, now if it was then we'd have a problem. How it is, is just a banana on a tree.

The one who got offended couldve just Took his apology and just went on with the retreat. But, then again I feel she overreacted to a banana on a tree.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »
So while protesting the anthem, is Marshawn Lynch just baiting?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »

Doubt it. Eating bananas is really common before working out or playing physically demanding sports. They're high in potassium.

Potassium plays an essential role in muscle function, and deficiencies in potassium can lead to abnormal cramping and discomfort. During exercise, your body loses potassium through your sweat, and prolonged periods of physical activity can significantly reduce your potassium levels. Eating a large banana boosts your potassium intake by 487 milligrams or 10 percent of your daily recommended intake.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »

Doubt it. Eating bananas is really common before working out or playing physically demanding sports. They're high in potassium.

Potassium plays an essential role in muscle function, and deficiencies in potassium can lead to abnormal cramping and discomfort. During exercise, your body loses potassium through your sweat, and prolonged periods of physical activity can significantly reduce your potassium levels. Eating a large banana boosts your potassium intake by 487 milligrams or 10 percent of your daily recommended intake.

Yes, but we're OFFENDED!!   

Those are all rational (and correct) facts that support his actions, but the kid who put the original peel there had equally valid explanations, and yet the whole kit and caboodle was shut down because the INTENT didn't matter, but the reception did.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »

Yes, but we're OFFENDED!!   

Those are all rational (and correct) facts that support his actions, but the kid who put the original peel there had equally valid explanations, and yet the whole kit and caboodle was shut down because the INTENT didn't matter, but the reception did.

I think hte bigger problem is we shouldn't have about it in the first place.   You always say you place no value in your opinions stadler and yet here you are sharing it.  Neither you or me shouldn''t have have heard about this and form opinions in the first place.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
I have zero argument with that.    None. 

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »

And how does that make you feel?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »

And how does that make you feel?

I'm kind of offended.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2017
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »
Wait, this is a true story?
"Keep your stick on the ice. I'm pulling for ya. Remember we're all in this together."
-Red Green