Author Topic: Houston... we have a problem.  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Houston... we have a problem.
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:04:04 AM »
Don't know where this should go so I made a new thread.

First, let me say, my heart aches for the people of Houston, and my son - in the State Guard - will be going there as early as Sunday to help with cleanup and rounding up missing people.  I'm proud of him and his service to those that need it most.

Second, though, these events prove the adage "Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."

I'm really bothered by this story involving the ABC reporter, and the "looting".  https://www.yahoo.com/tv/abc-news-reporter-blasted-telling-cops-hurricane-looting-193103173.html

I don't at all have a problem with what he did, I have a HUGE problem with the Twitter-verse and their sanctimonious, pious judgment.   Particularly love the excuses of "it's insured, so it doesn't matter!"   Who do you think pays for that?  YOU DO, you moron.  Get your head out of your phone and your Twats for a moment and you might learn something.    The reporter merely told the cops that HE WAS STANDING WITH  what they saw.  That the cops chose to move in, to me, tells me that it wasn't "innocent people scavenging for food!" like all the armchair quarterbacks - no doubt warm, dry and safe in wherever they typically tweet - seem to want to assume.

I hate what our society has come to.  This is not an advancement, this is not a tool for good.   

Offline XeRocks81

Re: Houston... we have a problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:30:51 AM »
you always boil it all down to same thing,  I'm not sure what else can be said now.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »
Tough call. Two things I really, really dislike are snitches and looters. In this case I probably let The Man sort it out. Truth be told, if they're looting bottles of water then I'm not too upset about it. If they are looting big screen TVs, and yes, @MarcHarrisNYC, you can buy those at grocery stores down here, then they should be strung up.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:37:30 AM »
Tough call. Two things I really, really dislike are snitches and looters. In this case I probably let The Man sort it out. Truth be told, if they're looting bottles of water then I'm not too upset about it. If they are looting big screen TVs, and yes, @MarcHarrisNYC, you can buy those at grocery stores down here, then they should be strung up.

But regardless, that's not for Tom Llamas or @MarcHarrisNYC (that's funny, because that's the guy that really set me off when I read this!) to decide.   That's for the police; and Tom DID let "The Man" sort it out.   If you read closely, apparently the "thirsty" people had the wherewithal to put masks on.  Doesn't really lend itself to "I'm desperate and I'm hungry" if you have the time, inclination and resources to disguise your identity. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:40:35 AM »
This is the first I've heard or this. Without seeing what they came out with, the fact that they went into a super market makes me hopeful that these people were getting stuff they or their families needed. It's not like they were entering a Gamestop, Apple Store, or a Best Buy. Outside of maybe the LCD displays on the registers and cash in the safe (which I assume was removed prior to evac), what is there in a supermarket that they could easily get away with in broad daylight? They certainly aren't walking out with a $30K industrial oven or a $15K refrigeration unit.

If they were entering any other kind of establishment, I'd say it's fair game to let the cops know, but a super market seems kind of weak to me, tbh. Even if they were stealing, I think this is one of those situations where you need to look at the scope of the event and prioritize our police resources. Don't make the police waste their time going after a potential cereal or tampon thief when billions of dollars worth of damage is being done in the surrounding neighborhoods.

... Just occurred to me the Stop and Shop in my town has a full blown pharmacy in it. I suppose it's possible they were going for a huge drug haul

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:39 AM »
I agree stadler. Just knowing twitter and Facebook, even Youtube, you should take those with a grain of salt. Yet, its become where what popular figures say is taken as truth. They can't have fun with it like is, saying some random thought that all their followers (which is funny since its like youre the martyr) will suddenly feel betrayed and forsaken.

How is it that we let these things control and change things in our world. And its not been for the better.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »

But regardless, that's not for Tom Llamas or @MarcHarrisNYC (that's funny, because that's the guy that really set me off when I read this!) to decide.   That's for the police; and Tom DID let "The Man" sort it out.   If you read closely, apparently the "thirsty" people had the wherewithal to put masks on.  Doesn't really lend itself to "I'm desperate and I'm hungry" if you have the time, inclination and resources to disguise your identity.

I had thought about this as well. If I'm in that situation, I'd probably make an attempt to cover my face just to be safe. I don't want the image of my face on the news while walking out of a store I technically stole from, or find out a few months from now there's a warrant out for my arrest because I was identified stealing food for my terrified and hungry children.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
Yup. I questioned the masks but left it out of my post for the reasons Chino gave. What I will say about Chino's post is that there's a ton of stuff to rip off from a grocery store down here. They can't sell firewater, but they can sell beer and wine. Most stores have banks in them now. I assume that SOP for a Wells Fargo branch is to secure the cash, but it won't stop people from trying. If it's a Hispanic grocery store, then you've got a full electronics department, including car audio. A bank. A payday lender. Tax offices. Huge amounts of cash.

Ironically, the foodstuff in there is very likely a writeoff anyway due to health and safety codes. I talked with the proprietor of a legendary Dallas meat market and after his shop burned to the ground he had to throw away every single can of beer in the establishment, and then hire guards to make sure it wasn't stolen from the dumpster. Obviously the rules about meat are even stricter. I'm sure a few people decided a couple of ribeyes would go well with their bottled water and Wonder bread, and while we have to disapprove on ethical grounds, there actually is no avoidable loss there. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
Wow. Your grocery stores down south sound intense.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 09:10:35 AM »
Grocery stores here in NJ have way more than just food in them (but no booze).

What I dislike more about the story is the news reporter essentially creating his own story here.  It seems he kind of started this so in some sense, the backlash he is getting is OK.  A lot of it is ridiculous over the top reactions, but well, if you are going to tweet anything, you can expect some backlash if it pisses people off.  Maybe just stay away from the twitter and report to the police and be on your way.

As for the idea of looting during an emergency to get food/water.  Well, you are going to do what you need to do to survive, and if that means stealing, well so be it.  I think if I were in that situation, and felt it was life or death to get some food from that store, I most certainly am going to go in and do what I need to do.  I don't think that makes it right, but I'm just being honest that I would steal if I needed to survive.  Taking anything else is just flat out wrong though, I don't care about insurance claims, it's not right to take more than what you need to survive.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
Wow. Your grocery stores down south sound intense.
Certainly different from what you guys have up there. However it's really the Hispanic chains that go all out. Mostly catering to a clientele with very different spending habits. Fiesta, which has most of its stores in the Houston area, sells a lot of stuff other stores don't. They operate much like a Rent-A-Center.

That said, making out my imaginary looter grocery list for the local Tom Thumb, a Keurig and lifetime supply of K-cups might be nice (though I'm a bit of a coffee snob). Raiding the fine wine cage and humidor would certainly seem prudent. A few thousand scratch-off tickets would be an obvious choice (though the safe move would be to sell them to others since they're no doubt traceable). Cartons of smokes are nicely stackable and valuable. A set of high quality cookware would be a nice grab. I've always wanted to own some premium balsamic, the $200/oz stuff. Definitely grabbing an assortment.

This is all stuff available from typical grocery stores down here. So, like I said, there's a ton of stuff other than food/drink to loot from your average Kroger.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »
:lol  Leave it to Barto to come up with a "hypothetical" looter checklist.  And one that includes smokes, lotto tickets, cookware, and balsamic vinegar.  :rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »
Wierd, I shared that story to Facebook with a status akin to "this is what I find wrong with twitter and social media." with other stuff added that I now forgot what exactly I wrote. I just went through my feed saw this post and the status read "TG". What the he'll, did Facebook just censor my post?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
:lol  Leave it to Barto to come up with a "hypothetical" looter checklist.  And one that includes smokes, lotto tickets, cookware, and balsamic vinegar.  :rollin

Now that's standards right there. :lol

I see all these national disasters in the south and midwest and as a guy in the northeast, I can't fathom going through what we just saw in the Houston area.  Sure we have power outages but it's not like I'm trapped or stranded.

I can't believe the work J.J. Watt has done to ask to get to 200K now it's at 6 Million.  That says a lot about humanity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »
It's pretty sad that it takes disasters to see people come together.  I've witnessed this both during 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy. 

Anyone else see the viral video of the hawk that essentailly attached itself to some guy who kept it safe during the storm?  Stuff like that amazes me how some random wild animal can look for help and find it as well in these times.

Sadly you also have the few people who prey on those in these times as well.

Offline Cable

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 01:25:51 AM »
https://www.avclub.com/furious-incorrect-trump-supporters-think-obama-was-pre-1798679764

:lol :rollin :mehlin >:( :censored :eek

This is a problem, when people either forgot history. Or cannot take 1-2 minutes to cruise Wikipedia before verbal diarrhea ensues. And therefore #FAKENEWS and the meme-machine continues to be reinforced. *sigh*
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:33:10 AM by Cable »
---

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »
I'm less bothered - though, trust me, still very much bothered - by the wrong reaction than I am the whoring out of this reaction by the media.   The media is doing exactly what it should NOT be doing, and that is forming a premise, then backing it up with selective bits of information that reinforce that premise (here, not even FACTS but OPINIONS).   

Why is the media bothering to reinforce a stereotype about the "Trump supporter"?    Why not other stereotypes?  Do we really want that?  What about when it's YOUR stereotype that gets targeted?

It's easy and fun and self-aggrandizing to just assume that people that disagree with you are "deplorable", but it's just not accurate.   We are not a better society when we arbitrarily divide ourselves into "us" (the smart ones, presumably) and "them" (the deplorables), based on our own subjective, emotionally driven ideology.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »
The media is doing exactly what it should NOT be doing, and that is forming a premise, then backing it up with selective bits of information that reinforce that premise

I believe you are talking about the link from Cable, but I think this statement could be made about the link in your OP as well.  At least I feel that way about the media lately. 

Offline Cable

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 08:39:48 AM »
I'm less bothered - though, trust me, still very much bothered - by the wrong reaction than I am the whoring out of this reaction by the media.   The media is doing exactly what it should NOT be doing, and that is forming a premise, then backing it up with selective bits of information that reinforce that premise (here, not even FACTS but OPINIONS).   

Why is the media bothering to reinforce a stereotype about the "Trump supporter"?    Why not other stereotypes?  Do we really want that?  What about when it's YOUR stereotype that gets targeted?

It's easy and fun and self-aggrandizing to just assume that people that disagree with you are "deplorable", but it's just not accurate.   We are not a better society when we arbitrarily divide ourselves into "us" (the smart ones, presumably) and "them" (the deplorables), based on our own subjective, emotionally driven ideology.

I remotely agree with you Stadler with the wording. It's troll/flame baiting on both sides, with always qualifying with the adjective of _______ supporter. It could have been phrased as "Obama attacked for his response to Katrina." The problem is when we blame the media, then we have the risk of people ignoring opinions that could be correct. Hence, #FAKENEWS. That has now become a dismissive catch all for a contrary opinions or potentially facts.

I was initially purely focusing on the ignorance. It's like the Jaywalking segment Jay Leno had. But the non-fact checking before spewing out crap is also upsetting. That is more harmful and unfortunate than baiting phrasing from journalists.
---

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 08:45:37 AM »
I was initially purely focusing on the ignorance. It's like the Jaywalking segment Jay Leno had. But the non-fact checking before spewing out crap is also upsetting. That is more harmful and unfortunate than baiting phrasing from journalists.
About the only time I actually post something on FB is reporting some very basic fact-checking that my dipshit liberal friends can't be arsed with doing. Some people are receptive. Some just ignore you. I actually had to defend a cop that shot somebody's dog yesterday because nobody will look beyond the first fake news source they see anymore. Search the cops name and you get an actual report about what happened, very different than the popular narrative.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »

Are you advocating to ignore the very thing that you often argued as a prevalent problem - confirmation bias?
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 10:37:52 AM »
Christ, and now I'm having to defend Joel Fucking Osteen for the second time in as many days. Here's the quote from a "news" story about the guy asking for donations:

Quote from: patheos.com
We want to let you know that our hearts are with each of you and your families during this difficult time. We are praying for you and we are praying for our city, and for all of those affected by the devastating flooding and rains caused by Hurricane Harvey. We love you and we love this city. And we want to help.

if you would like to donate to our relief efforts, please do so here in this page.
Those periods of ellipsis refer to the entire passage about working in partnership with Samaritan's Purse. While I'm no fan of SP's proselytizing in exchange for assistance (blackmail), they are a 4 star organization with a 100 score in transparency. Yet the successfully elicited response was naturally that he's asking for handouts for himself in exchange for opening his megachurch. In the case of a scumbag like Osteen, there's really no reason to have to make bad things up about him. It'd be like starting a rumor that Hitler kicked his dog when nobody was looking. Isn't the final solution enough?

And in the interest of fairness, part of the blame goes to the right on this. That bullshit article is the perfect example of fake news. What fake news should actually refer to. Yet the term, thanks to our orange headed leader and his minions, has now come to refer to any non-conservative news source. The term really has no value anymore as it's been completely undermined.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »
Christ, and now I'm having to defend Joel Fucking Osteen for the second time in as many days.

Can I defend his wife?  She needs defending, right?   In person?  Maybe? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 12:17:42 PM »

Are you advocating to ignore the very thing that you often argued as a prevalent problem - confirmation bias?

Just the opposite.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 12:25:06 PM »

Just the opposite.

Ok. Since the media shouldn't ignore the confirmation bias of those that attack Obama for golfing during Katrina, what are the stereotypes that the media is ignoring (but should be discussing) that would address and help close the divide as I think you're suggesting they should be doing?
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »
So here's a phenomenon that's part Harvey and part social media sucks ass. Dallas is having a major gas panic right now. A week ago reg was selling for 2.19/g, up from about $2/g a month ago. Today I waited 20 minutes to pay $4. There actually is a tiny shortage in the upstream supply. A blip on the horizon and nothing that would cause any noticeable delays for anybody. Yet once word got out ever asshole in the county started tweeting and texting his friends to hurry up and get gas before it's gone. Instead of sales being distributed across seven days everybody bought gas at the same time and caused the very problem they were afraid of. Now most of the stations are actually sold out. In the mean time you' have assholes selling gas for whatever the hell they want. All completely avoidable, and all because some people wanted to play hero and others want to exploit the hurricane.

On a side note, price gouging is illegal in this state. Every person in front of me took pictures and kept receipts, so the asshole selling for $4 will likely have the state slap him on the wrist, but my hope is that he doesn't survive the afternoon. His shop is in a neighborhood where that sort of shit will earn you a fatal case of led poisoning.
E.F. Benson

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 06:57:04 AM »
And here I am bitching that the gas went from $2.20 to $2.70 In one week.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »

Just the opposite.

Ok. Since the media shouldn't ignore the confirmation bias of those that attack Obama for golfing during Katrina, what are the stereotypes that the media is ignoring (but should be discussing) that would address and help close the divide as I think you're suggesting they should be doing?

I think you're misunderstanding me.  I'm not saying the media is ignoring the confirmation bias of OTHERS, I'm saying they are engaging in that same behavior themselves.   Ask el Barto:  he's repeatedly reminded us (rightfully) that bias is not just in the content of the stories, but also in the stories that are selected to begin with.   Why is the media focusing on ONE reaction and not ALL reactions?  It's not the media's job to draw moral, ethical, or editorial conclusions for us.  Their job is to collect FACTS, and relay them to us.  Nothing more.  Yet - and I believe it is part and parcel with the trend of social media to treat one's opinion as a "Fact" to be revered - more and more, the mainstream media is telling us what we should feel about a certain issue.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
I think you're misunderstanding me.  I'm not saying the media is ignoring the confirmation bias of OTHERS, I'm saying they are engaging in that same behavior themselves.   Ask el Barto:  he's repeatedly reminded us (rightfully) that bias is not just in the content of the stories, but also in the stories that are selected to begin with.   Why is the media focusing on ONE reaction and not ALL reactions?  It's not the media's job to draw moral, ethical, or editorial conclusions for us.  Their job is to collect FACTS, and relay them to us.  Nothing more.  Yet - and I believe it is part and parcel with the trend of social media to treat one's opinion as a "Fact" to be revered - more and more, the mainstream media is telling us what we should feel about a certain issue.

I think I understood your point, but perhaps what I'm missing is how the article that was linked was perpetuating any confirmation bias or drawing a moral/ethical/editorial conclusion.  The only 'opinion' that I saw from this author/article was that Trump supporters were desperate for a villain (sidenote... I do think it's ok for the media to interject some personal or business opinion as it relates to the given facts of the topic they're reporting).  Perhaps you also consider it a stretch that ONLY Trump supporters are making these claims/tweets?  It's highly unlikely that Democratic supporters are making these kinds of Obama-attacking statements.  Given Trump's propensity to A) make and perpetuate false statements and B) attack anything 'Obama', it's a very logical conclusion to make that many/most of these kinds of blatant mis-statements are being made by people regurgitating Trump's rhetoric.

That said, I interpreted your statements such that the media shouldn't be reporting on this stuff at all, but you've confirmed that isn't the case.  I agree there are times that the media (both 'right' and 'left') live in their own echo-chambers - some worse/moreso than others.  But, in this particular article, I didn't see that and so was unsure where you were coming from.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 11:52:42 AM »

I think I understood your point, but perhaps what I'm missing is how the article that was linked was perpetuating any confirmation bias or drawing a moral/ethical/editorial conclusion.  The only 'opinion' that I saw from this author/article was that Trump supporters were desperate for a villain (sidenote... I do think it's ok for the media to interject some personal or business opinion as it relates to the given facts of the topic they're reporting).  Perhaps you also consider it a stretch that ONLY Trump supporters are making these claims/tweets?  It's highly unlikely that Democratic supporters are making these kinds of Obama-attacking statements.  Given Trump's propensity to A) make and perpetuate false statements and B) attack anything 'Obama', it's a very logical conclusion to make that many/most of these kinds of blatant mis-statements are being made by people regurgitating Trump's rhetoric.

That said, I interpreted your statements such that the media shouldn't be reporting on this stuff at all, but you've confirmed that isn't the case.  I agree there are times that the media (both 'right' and 'left') live in their own echo-chambers - some worse/moreso than others.  But, in this particular article, I didn't see that and so was unsure where you were coming from.

Well, I DON'T think they should be reporting on this.  I guess we can quibble whether this is "fact" or not, but the point is, it's not giving any indication as to the level of "ire" - are these ALL the tweets or just a sample?  Is this the majority of Trump supporters or a small minority?  It's merely painting a picture of opinion, as if - and this is THE crucial part here - those opinions matter.  And clearly they don't.   This is the same level of "TERRIFIED!" back around the election.    10 to 15 million Obama voters didn't vote for Trump and then a minute later exclaim that they were "TERRIFIED!" Yet all you heard from the media was this massive shiver of fear that rocked America.  From who??  Roughly the same number of people VOTED for Trump as didn't, and so this notion that the nation is quivering in fear because a small minority has usurped the process is bullshit.   

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
Recent tweets from the Sheriff of Polk County, Fl.

If you go to a shelter for #Irma, be advised: sworn LEOs will be at every shelter, checking IDs. Sex offenders/predators will not be allowed

If you go to a shelter for #Irma and you have a warrant, we'll gladly escort you to the safe and secure shelter called the Polk County Jail

I'd say it goes without saying that illegal immigrants will be included in that. Real nice guy. This will be wildly popular amongst the tough on crime folk, but it's a pretty genuine dick move from a real asshole. The reality is that a lot of folk will be afraid to go to safety and opt to take their chances. A lot of folk who don't deserve to be written off, but whom Sheriff Grady would just as soon see drown if it means scoring points with the voters. 

E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »

If you go to a shelter for #Irma, be advised: sworn LEOs will be at every shelter, checking IDs. Sex offenders/predators will not be allowed

If you go to a shelter for #Irma and you have a warrant, we'll gladly escort you to the safe and secure shelter called the Polk County Jail

I'd say it goes without saying that illegal immigrants will be included in that. Real nice guy. This will be wildly popular amongst the tough on crime folk, but it's a pretty genuine dick move from a real asshole. The reality is that a lot of folk will be afraid to go to safety and opt to take their chances. A lot of folk who don't deserve to be written off, but whom Sheriff Grady would just as soon see drown if it means scoring points with the voters.

That IS bullshit. And if I'm one of the First Responders that has to wade into 180 mph winds and 15 feet of swell to save a guy that has is on the registry because he was 23 and his girlfriend was 16 and Daddy had a bug up his ass about it, I'm going going to be pretty damn pissed off. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »

Wow.  Just wow.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 12:11:17 PM »

That IS bullshit. And if I'm one of the First Responders that has to wade into 180 mph winds and 15 feet of swell to save a guy that has is on the registry because he was 23 and his girlfriend was 16 and Daddy had a bug up his ass about it, I'm going going to be pretty damn pissed off.

I'm confused. You'd be pissed off that you had to save him, or pissed that you saved him just for him to go to jail?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »

Yea, lets take a natural disaster and turn it into catching the criminals who need shelter to survive.  Pretty low if you ask me.  However, if you have a warrant then I think you know you aren't going to be safe near cops.  Sex offenders, as much as I dont like them, if they are out free from doing their time, I don't think that should hold them back for seeking safety regardless of their past.