Author Topic: 2017 NCAA Football Discussion  (Read 9278 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2017 NCAA Football Discussion
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2017, 08:17:13 AM »
Yup, just like OSU last year.  I don't think Bama should be in there, but things could fall that way.  This year is another bad year for the selection committee, they need to expand this and have automatic berths.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
name recognition is still an issue for the playoff system.

Put Ohio St. in front of Wisconsins wins and they are the number one ranked team in the country.
Put Mississippi in front of Alabamas wins and they are the 7th or 8th team ranked team in the country.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »
Yeah, not that we have played a murderer's row at UGA either, but Bama has very few quality wins, perhaps two at most -- so I don't see the justification in somehow jumping them into the playoffs without even making the conference championship.

Meanwhile, I sure hope we come out more competitively against Auburn than we did last time. I think we will, but dammit are they playing well right now. I know they only have themselves to blame for the earlier 2 losses, but dang if Auburn's road to the playoffs here isn't the hardest: having to beat UGA, Bama, and then UGA again in a four week span. If they complete that gauntlet, no problem with them being the first 2 loss team to make the playoff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »
I have always, and will always feel that a conference championship should be mandatory to be in the playoffs in any way, shape or form, no matter the teams name, record, or voter ranking.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
IT'S FUCKING GREAT TO BE A GA BULLDOG!!!!!!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2017, 05:48:14 AM »
IT'S FUCKING GREAT TO BE A GA BULLDOG!!!!!!

I'm a GA Tech grad but congrats!   It will be interesting to see if 2 loss OSU gets the 4th spot or 'Bama without winning their conference.  Either way, Oklahoma seems to be on fire right now but it's a long time between now and the playoff.  No clear cut favorite regardless who gets the 4th spot.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2017, 06:20:54 AM »
UCF for the playoff. Only in this clown sport can you go undefeated and not have a chance to compete for a championship.  Must make recruiting so much fun.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2017, 06:48:55 AM »
UCF for the playoff. Only in this clown sport can you go undefeated and not have a chance to compete for a championship.  Must make recruiting so much fun.

I'd be good with that.  Give them a shot, that team is fun to watch and deserves better than a glorified exhibition.  As for Alabama vs Ohio State... I'm torn.  I think OSU has earned it moreso, better wins than Alabama, but I don't like that they lost to Oklahoma already.  I'd rather see teams in the playoffs who haven't played each other.  Also, I am a bitter PSU fan from last year when OSU made it to the playoffs over PSU in a similar situation which makes me not want to see them sneak in again.  I guess we will once again have to consider the weight of a loss vs. that of a conference championship.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2017, 06:58:21 AM »
Ohio State won their conference and has 3 wins over teams that were ranked in the top 12 at the time of the game.

Alabama didn't even make their conference championship and has 1 win over a team that was in the top 12 at the time of the game (week 1, when rankings are pretty hazy, and that team ended up going 6-6).

Should be a no-brainer.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
1. Clemson vs. 8. USC
4. Alabama vs. 5. Ohio State
3. Georgia vs. 6. Wisconsin
2. Oklahoma vs. 7. UCF

This is gonna be so awesome!!

Oh wait.....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
Kirk Herbstreit said he would choose Alabama over OSU, and his argument is that while OSU had more good wins, they also were capable of not showing up like they showed in Iowa to an unranked team.  Alabama lost a heated rivalry game and were competitive in it.  Alabama passes the eye test and OSU doesn't.  Same reason UCF is in the Consolation Bowl.

The most exciting thing is we get Alabama v Clemson 3.  I don't care for either school, but damn those first two games were fun to watch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2017, 07:17:52 PM »
I see it simply as 2 losses vs 1. Still haven't had a 2 loss team make it. Another year when a simpler schedule helps a team make it (Washington last year).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2017, 11:19:59 PM »
1. Clemson vs. 8. USC
4. Alabama vs. 5. Ohio State
3. Georgia vs. 6. Wisconsin
2. Oklahoma vs. 7. UCF

This is gonna be so awesome!!

Oh wait.....

Damn that'd be so fucking brilliant.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2017, 07:51:52 AM »
First, off welcome home Scott Frost! Great things are coming to Nebraska after 10+ years of shit.

I don't hate that Alabama got in over Ohio St because they got DESTROYED by a very average Iowa team. You can't lose game like that and expect to make the playoff. My beef with Alabama is that hardly ever play quality opponents on the road. They are either on neutral sites or always at hope.

I've always like the idea of a 6 team playoff with the top 2 seeds getting a bye. Pac-12, Big-12, Big-10, SEC, and ACC conference champ gets a bid plus one at large team.

Offline kaos2900

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
The problem with that article is that last year they showed that conference championships can be superseded.  Last year Penn State lost two games in which over half their regular starters were injured. When healthy, that team beat Ohio State and won the Big 10 title game.  A third place B10 team went to the playoff instead, so I would argue that the precident for not taking a power 5 champion and taking another team had already been established.  I do agree with the article that there is no incentive to schedule tough non-conference though.  College b-ball yes, football bring on the NW Idaho States of the world.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:06:00 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
The problem with that article isn’t that last year they showed that conference championships can be superseded.  Last year Penn State lost two games in which over half their regular starters were injured. When healthy, that team beat Ohio State and won the Big 10 title game.  A third place B10 team went to the playoff instead, so I would argue that the precident for not taking a power 5 champion and taking another team had already been established.  I do agree with the article that there is no incentive to schedule tough non-conference though.  College b-ball yes, football bring on the NW Idaho States of the world.

I had the same feeling when reading that article.  The committee actually kept their standard they set last year this year.  Personally I find tough schedules and conference championships to be pretty important, but the way the committee has decided things, I wouldn't book tough OOC games anymore if I want to make it to the playoffs.  There's just not enough incentives.  A win helps sure, but 2 losses pretty much knocks you out of consideration and Alabama and Washington (last year) SOS shows it doesn't matter.

Looking forward to the two big Pac 12 vs. Big 10 bowl games though, OSU vs USC and PSU vs UW.  Those could be entertaining games.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »
Tempus, we’re bitch slapping the hell out of you guys.  Add in Ohio Shit’s thrashing of USC and you got a weak ass Pac12.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Plus Stanfurd dropping it in the second half to TCU and MSU schooling Wazoo, it's hard to disagree.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2017, 03:55:58 PM »
Man am I going to miss Saquon Barkley.  Really fun start to this game, but PSU also had a 28-7 lead on OSU and blew it in the second half.  Let's see how this one goes as they already pulled in closer thanks to another PSU turnover. 

However, the Pac-12 bowl record is really bad and the Big 10 is really good, I kind of feel this comes down to, yes it's a strong conference, but they also got favorable matches without having a team in the playoffs.  Although the Big 10 champ beating the Pac 10 champ is really solid, PSU holding on would be another really good win for the Big 10 and more impressive than the 4 Big 10 wins.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
UCF is perfect!!! Great to see my alma mater achieve this feat!! CHARGE ON!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2018, 03:35:38 PM »
SEC laying eggs everywhere this bowl season.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
Congrats! Really is pretty cool!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »
Pac 12 laying eggs everywhere this bowl season.

fix'd for the west coast.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »
I'd like to applaud Oklahoma for doing what Ohio State and Washington failed to do last year: Show up for the National Semifinal.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2018, 11:04:16 PM »
HOLY SHIT, GO DAWGS

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2018, 06:59:26 AM »

UCF in my opinion is the real National Champion. Undefeated by beating a team that beat Alabama AND Georgia who happen to playing for the playoff committee's championship. So happy for Frost and the team. There is hope in Nebraska for the first time in about 15 years.

I could care less about Alabama vs Georgia.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2018, 07:28:12 AM »
HOLY SHIT, GO DAWGS

Should be a good final. I am rooting for Georgia to win.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »

UCF in my opinion is the real National Champion. Undefeated by beating a team that beat Alabama AND Georgia who happen to playing for the playoff committee's championship. So happy for Frost and the team. There is hope in Nebraska for the first time in about 15 years.

I could care less about Alabama vs Georgia.

I wouldn't go as far as calling them NC, although I think they could have some claim to a MNC (Mythical National Championship that teams used to reward themselves when they should have at least had a shot at the NC and ended up undefeated like PSU in 94).  But otherwise I agree, they had a great coach and season and I couldn't care about the NC game this year although I thought Georgia was the best team all year, I'd hope they would beat Alabama.

SEC laying eggs everywhere this bowl season.

One could say they redeemed themselves yesterday, but the Pac 12.... damn that's scary bad.  Too bad Michigan couldn't win for an undefeated Big 10 bowl season, but if there was one Big 10 team I wished would lose well it's UM.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »
HOLY SHIT, GO DAWGS

Bama's defense will be much tougher than Oklahoma's.  Opening line Bama by 4 1/2, sounds about right.  But the Southeastern region of the country, still OWNS college football so I'm happy either way.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
HOLY SHIT, GO DAWGS

Bama's defense will be much tougher than Oklahoma's.  Opening line Bama by 4 1/2, sounds about right.  But the Southeastern region of the country, still OWNS college football so I'm happy either way.

As long as their offense is worse than OU's, we should be in decent shape. May the pupil finally slay the master! #SithBowl

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »
First of all, now this game gets a crappy halftime show?

Second, it's times like this I am so thankful I live on the West Coast.

Third, what a game! I have basically been checked out of college football over the years, but damn that was fun to watch.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2018, 12:05:17 AM »
Georgia Bulldogs be like:

Seriously though, congratulations to Alabama. I've hated them ever since they beat my Fighting Irish in the championship five years ago, but it's impossible to deny their greatness.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2018, 07:06:30 AM »
I watched a minimal amount of this game since I could care less about the SEC bowl. I turned it off after the Alabama player shoved the head of the player he just tackled as part of his showboating and the ref who was right it front of it didn't throw a flag. People bitch about kneeling during the anthem but I'm more tired about the cocky bullshit after every play. That should have been a 15 yard penalty and a new set of downs for Georgia.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2018, 07:26:01 AM »
I fell asleep after the freshman QB threw an interception during the 3rd quarter.  I clearly missed a great ending.