Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.2..Steaming Results!  (Read 62559 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 2 Results!
« Reply #420 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
Separating itself from the pack but in a bad way, I imagine  :corn

Well, one DID that, but I was talking about it in a good way. ;D
2/10 hype

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
Yup. Separated, broke, and fell off!

Chlamydia s a bitch.

Is that like Taserface?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #422 on: September 13, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »
Separating itself from the pack but in a bad way, I imagine  :corn

Well, one DID that, but I was talking about it in a good way. ;D
2/10 hype

That's disappointingly high

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #423 on: September 15, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »
OK, here are the brief write-ups for Round 3. Like I said, work has been a bitch, so I haven't really been able to get on DTF all that much, but I have been listening. Each song got at least 7 listens. But I'll be honest, I really only liked a couple of songs.

Parama...The Hirsch Effect-Cotard
"This was a chore to get through"

So I felt like this was a big nut to crack the first time I heard it. I finally warmed up to it quite a bit. Musically, it sounds like a more progressive Odd Dimension. There is tons of cool stuff going on in this track. For a 9 minute song, the different sections managed to hold my interest. I kept comparing this in my mind to the Leprous track in the last round. I just found this musically more interesting. Still, it never gave me that "Oh wow" moment. And I must say that the last 40 seconds is a total waste. Why on earth end a cool tune like that??

Sacul...Devin Townsend-Depth Charge
"Some cool guitar work"

The opening note makes me think I'm going to hear UFO's Let It Roll. But the first 1:25 of this is :metal. Overall I like this song. It rocks pretty good. I am not a fan the screaming though. I actually find it annoying. IMO it doesn't need it. I don't think he has a great voice, but I'd so much rather hear him clean. He's much better than Ackerfeldt clean though.

Train Of Naught...Beardfish-Voluntary Slavery
"I don't remember anything about it"

This one took a couple listens to break down. At first it sounded a little like Soundgarden, which, for me, isn't necessarily a good thing. But I got past that, as this band seems to have an old soul feel to it. Love the "in the end we're all slaves" part. Some cool sounding guitar underneath. If this song ended at 5:00 after the cool instrumental part, it would've made a great and powerful ending. Yet this song, like many in this round, needlessly extended itself.

Tomislav95...dredge-Ode To The Sun
"Refreshing"

My first impression comment of "Refreshing" was based on my ears needing a break after the first 3 songs. What I like about this song is that it is concise and is really the perfect length. It never meanders. I love the vocals in the chorus. The guy is just going for it. Reminded me of Bono. I enjoyed this.

Tyrias...Oceansize-Trail Of Fire
"I want to hear this again"

This song also gave me a little U2 feel, mixed in with some Presto era Rush. It is pleasant enough. I didn't not like it, but it's a little non descript. Throughout the listening, I was really trying to figure out what to say about it. Has a Indie feel to it. Way too long.

LordCost...Rishloo-Landmines
"Interesting...and cool"

Best song of the round! The vocalist really made me think of Freddie Mercury. I'd love to hear him sing this track. The vocalist is excellent on this though. There was really nothing I didn't like about it. Each part has it's own certain coolness. Love the old school guitar solo underneath, and the solo proper. Reminded me of what Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner did in the mid 70's with Alice Cooper. The "I've had enough of idle revelry" part is a total eargasm. I was rocking out big time to that part. This song was never boring, which I can't say about a lot of songs in this round. Would love to hear more from them.

Shadow Ninja 2.0....Steam Powered Giraffe-Automatic Electronic
Harmonics

"That was so weird it was awesome"

So on first glance, this had all the makings of a disaster. Even though you guys send me youtube links, I convert and download them, and I do not watch the videos. But I saw the beginning of this one, and I was obviously WTF? I immediately shut it off, because I did not want he video to in any way influence me. But suffice to say, I was intrigued. I must say, this turned out really cool. The first verse, with the harmonies, is absolutely amazing. It's too bad, they never really seemed to go to a second verse. It was easily the best part of the song. The chorus is just ok, and they repeat it too much. This song was an example of lingering on. It would've been fine if they ended it at 3:35, but certainly after the um..solo at 4:36 would've been awesome. I did not need to heard the chorus again. Still those vocals..  My flame suit is on.

The Silent Cody...Devin Townsend-Stagnant
"This is different from what I've heard from this band.

What is this? Devin Bon Jovi? I was disappointed with this. The first part sounds like Bon Jovi, but then it transitions into a 90's style radio rock. Reminded me of Stained. And I do not care for that style at all.

Home...Karnivool-Alpha Omega
"I have a feeling I'll like this more the second time around"

This song really took forever to get going, and then it seemed like forever to end. The slower build up part just went on too long. This song would've made a much better five to six minute track. That said, I loved the vocals when the song picked up. They sounded to my ears a little like 70's Ozzy. This song has to have a better song. Again, I would check out something else by them for sure. It was just OK.

Standings:

Parama-25.5
LordCost-24.5
Home-23.5
Shadow Ninja - 23.5
Train Of Naught-22.5
Tomislave95-22.5
Sacul-22.0
Tyrias-21.5
The Silent Cody-21.5

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 3 Results!
« Reply #424 on: September 15, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »
I'll accept it  :corn
Oceansize deserves better tho
And Stagnant is better than Depth Charge
Anyways you already have my round 4 and I'm expecting a 7.5 at this rate so

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #425 on: September 15, 2017, 06:11:13 PM »
God damn it I slipped at the end! Sad that You don't like Stagnant, I do not prefer newest Devin records, but Stagnant from Terria along with Earth Day and Deep Space are my total favourites.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: September 15, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »
Not much here for me to check out. 

I'm am casual DT fan and Depth Charge is cool but I wouldn't have sent Stagnant to Tim.

Casual Beardfish fan, I prefer Mammoth over everything else that I've heard.  The Void is decent but didn't give it much time so can't remember anything from it.

Only have one Oceansize album and they really don't do anything for me.

I checked out that Rishloo, didn't like it at all.

Dredge are pretty good IMO, but they are just one of those bands I have never got around to really checking out.  That song was quite good though.

Karnivool are solid.  I like a lot of what they have done but again more of a very casual fan.

I'm not going to go there with the Giraffe song.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #427 on: September 15, 2017, 07:09:49 PM »

I'm am casual DT fan and Depth Charge is cool but I wouldn't have sent Stagnant to Tim.

Casual Beardfish fan, I prefer Mammoth over everything else that I've heard.  The Void is decent but didn't give it much time so can't remember anything from it.

Dredge are pretty good IMO, but they are just one of those bands I have never got around to really checking out.  That song was quite good though.

Karnivool are solid.  I like a lot of what they have done but again more of a very casual fan.

Thanks Kade for your thoughts. The Rishloo really grew on me. At first I didn't know what to think of it, but when the "idle revelry" part kicks in, I loved that part.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: September 15, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »

Thanks Kade for your thoughts. The Rishloo really grew on me. At first I didn't know what to think of it, but when the "idle revelry" part kicks in, I loved that part.

After hearing it I was surprised at your score, but yeah, I can hear it could possibly have some potential. 

I think the scores are around right.  I think a lot of the bands you would have the same thoughts as I do, I guess casual is the word as I used above.  I doubt anything there you would be hunting down discographies for.

Just realised I missed Paramas track, I'll check that later.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #429 on: September 15, 2017, 07:40:22 PM »

That album is great. I got them by Train in my roulette, and it (song Just a Ride) was probably my favorite song of the whole roulette. Funny thing, it got only 8.5 :lol it grew on me a lot after round ended.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: September 15, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »

That album is great. I got them by Train in my roulette, and it (song Just a Ride) was probably my favorite song of the whole roulette. Funny thing, it got only 8.5 :lol it grew on me a lot after round ended.

I very well may like nothing else by them, by that was a great tune. What is the name of the album?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #431 on: September 15, 2017, 07:48:35 PM »

Found them on Spotify.

I'm glad you didn't send that song. You made a good choice. They do do a good job of building up tracks though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #432 on: September 15, 2017, 07:56:29 PM »
JJ, I see you lurking.  I know you must have something to say!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: September 15, 2017, 08:02:59 PM »
Like Jay I subscribe to the theory of "if you don't have something nice to say................"   ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #434 on: September 15, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »
Oh and I'm glad you liked dredg :tup check out full Catch Without Arms, songs are in similar style to the one I sent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #435 on: September 15, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
Oh and I'm glad you liked dredg :tup check out full Catch Without Arms, songs are in similar style to the one I sent.

Yeah, I thought it was decent. I mean, not totally my style, but definitely an enjoyable song. I'll follow up with it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2017, 12:32:00 AM »
Yeah definitely check that Devin Townsend album, Accelerated Evolution. It's pretty  :metal

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2017, 02:14:54 AM »
Oceansize deserves better tho

True that.

Anyway, I'll send for the next round in a few. Time to find an instrumental you might like :P.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2017, 03:21:10 AM »
Like Jay I subscribe to the theory of "if you don't have something nice to say................"   ;D

I don't envy you having to listen to this stuff. I see why you did the roulette this way, but there is probably a good reason why you don't listen to these bands already 😀

Defy's Stagnant was the only song I could tolerate.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #439 on: September 16, 2017, 03:38:55 AM »
TAC could you somehow remind us about theme round, maybe in thread title or results post? It's not that I'm that lazy but I totally forgot there are themed rounds, Tyrias just reminded me :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #440 on: September 16, 2017, 03:44:26 AM »
Next round is an instrumental round.  :P

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #441 on: September 16, 2017, 03:53:30 AM »
Sent, and getting ready for 6/10.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #442 on: September 16, 2017, 03:55:10 AM »
Next round is an instrumental round.  :P
Thanks.

BTW I don't know what to send, I'm not big fan of instrumentals as standalone songs.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #443 on: September 16, 2017, 05:06:07 AM »
Mmm, I should probably have sent something from Sound Awake. The songs there are a generally a bit more consise ,more high energy/groovy and probably more up your alley. That Rishloo is amazing yeah!

I'll look trough the post-rock songs in my library for this round :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #444 on: September 16, 2017, 05:58:16 AM »

I don't envy you having to listen to this stuff. I see why you did the roulette this way, but there is probably a good reason why you don't listen to these bands already 😀

This.

Still have to load up Round 2, and now another batch of ..... unusual-ness.  Most of these bands I've heard of (and sampled a few times), but I know they just aren't my thing.  But, brothers stick together, and if Paul/Kade can put themselves through Tim't drunken torture idea, surely I can too.

le sigh
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #445 on: September 16, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
Ha, I actually agree re: the ending of the SPG song, I think it definitely could have been trimmed a bit. Glad you enjoyed it somewhat, though!

Also, instrumental for next round sent.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #446 on: September 16, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »
my entry this round will probably actually appeal to you fogeys so you should check it out after TAC gives it the expected 7.5

Offline LordCost

« Reply #447 on: September 17, 2017, 03:17:51 AM »

Found them on Spotify.

I'm glad you didn't send that song. You made a good choice. They do do a good job of building up tracks though.

Wow, unexpected result. It was a rushed submission a day before an exam, I thought to get a 7.0.

Just A Ride is my favourite of their last album, but Landmines was the first song I liked and gave me a reason to try again with the album. I remember that the album was a grower, I started to love all of them apart Landmines after a good number of listens.
TAC you could listen to Feathergun and the last album with a long name that I cannot keep in mind. Katsushika and Feathergun In The Garden Of The Sun are the ones I loved first off Feathergun.

I sent Trail Of Fire before in a roulette but it didn't score well. Elite suggested me to try with Massive Bereavement the next time, he got good scores with that one.

Beardfish style is very different from Voluntary Slavery. I know sparse songs from many albums but their style is more like old prog rock that manages to sound modern at the same time.

I have to listen to Steam Powered Giraffe only for the name of the band.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #448 on: September 17, 2017, 03:47:57 AM »
Yeah, something off +4626-COMFORTZONE (Beardfish), might be more in TACs taste. BTW that album was one of my favs of the year, and 2015 was very very strong.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #449 on: September 17, 2017, 04:05:36 AM »
Yeah, something off +4626-COMFORTZONE (Beardfish), might be more in TACs taste. BTW that album was one of my favs of the year, and 2015 was very very strong.
Do you know that the singer has released a solo album this year?
Comfortzone and Sleeping In Traffic Part 1 contains the most songs I like. Hold On, Comfort Zone and the three part song are my favourites, but I don't remember much the others. I saw them live in Veruno 2 years ago and they opened with the song Sleeping In Traffic  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: September 17, 2017, 04:06:59 AM »

This.

Still have to load up Round 2, and now another batch of ..... unusual-ness.  Most of these bands I've heard of (and sampled a few times), but I know they just aren't my thing.  But, brothers stick together, and if Paul/Kade can put themselves through Tim't drunken torture idea, surely I can too.

le sigh

I didn't sit through all the songs.  A few of the bands I know here and am familiar enough to comment or skim through the songs remember what they are about.

Most of the bands presented here in round 2 are great bands, just not our style at all.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #451 on: September 17, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »
Just caught up with rounds 2 and 3.  God, what a chore that was.

Beardfish - wasn't horrible
Dredg - Poppy metal.  Somewhat enjoyable, but just a few degrees askew from what I like
Oceansize - wasn't horrible
Rishloo - wall of sound type stuff, which is ok in moderation.
Karnivool - terrible start... didn't improve at all
Fun - 'hate' is such a strong word, I won't use it.  Didn't enjoy.  That ending - eww ... oh wait, that wasn't the ending. God, for an 8 minute song, I feel I lost 30 minutes of my morning
TDH... on its own, not so good.  In the context of the albums, they are fun to listen to.
Leperous - Instrumental section in the middle was the best part.  The rest - pass.  Does this song ever end?
Paradise Lost - vocals kill it.  Music isn't working for me either
Myth - nope.  Just nope.
Rage - best of the bunch for sure.  Surprised this wasn't right up the TAC alley.
Haken - hot mess of technical prog. Plus, I just don't enjoy Ross's voice.  Hate the staccato nature of some of the melodies.  Yes, hate.
Mumford & Sons - see Myth
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #452 on: September 17, 2017, 07:48:47 AM »
So positive  :lol
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #453 on: September 17, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
joins jingle's roulette just to send gorguts

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #454 on: September 17, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »
OK..sorry for the lack of activity. Things should be back to normal Tuesday evening.
Looooong days at work right through Tuesday.

Just waiting for Sacul, home, and Tomislav95.