Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.2..Steaming Results!  (Read 63167 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 4 Results!
« Reply #525 on: September 23, 2017, 03:25:09 AM »
This makes me feel sad handing out 1s and 2s in my roulette.

Don't.  Tim's the one who should feel bad.  It's like he's not wanting to offend anyone - which is odd, because he's not Canadian.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #526 on: September 23, 2017, 06:20:33 AM »
i see results in the thread title........ but where are they

:lol

Posting while drinking! :facepalm:

Will post them   :soon:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #527 on: September 23, 2017, 06:57:19 AM »

Don't.  Tim's the one who should feel bad.  It's like he's not wanting to offend anyone - which is odd, because he's not Canadian.

Ironic, since Chad isn't worried about offending anyone- which is odd, because he's not American.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #528 on: September 23, 2017, 07:15:47 AM »

Tomislav95...Russian Circles-Death Rides A Horse

This was a fantastic way to start the round, and to start the CD. Has a Maidenish start to it, but this totally kept my attention all the way through. This makes me want to check out this band further. Oh, and I love the title.

The Silent Cody...David Maxim Micic-Bilo Pt 3

While Sacul threw some shade at this, I wasn't sure what to expect. The electronic opening kind of threw me, and I figured that was what he was talking about. But it then develops into a cool and heavy thing. I really enjoyed this, at least for the first half. then the second half gets a little loopy. If it ended at about 6 minutes, it would've really been cool. But I have know idea what they were doing for the last minute and a half. Still I liked this track.

Train Of Naught...God Is An Astronaut-Agneya

I loved this. Has a great pace to it. It builds nicely without lingering. I liked the keyboard sound to this. I was never bored with this. Musically, it reminds me a lot of classic Fields Of the Nephilim. I found that this really hit the spot. I would definitely check out more from this band.

Shadow Ninja 2.0....Gordian Knot-Rivers Dancing

I liked this as well. This had so many different soundscapes to it, though it never felt choppy. It was heavy, melodic, mellow and rocking, and still managed to feel like one piece of music. The ridiculous solo going on at 6:25 is nuts. Reminded me of Schenker, combining melody and speed. Very cool.

LordCost....The Ocean-Mesopelagic

Another really good submission. This track has a nice pace. It also builds nicely. Love the part at 3:13. That's cool. And at 4:59, it is all going on. That part really got me rocking out. And while I've complained about many tracks in this roulette overstaying their welcome, I coul've easily taken another minute or two of this.

home...Caspian-Darkfield

While this takes a while to get going, I could've listened to the percussion part in the beginning forever. Man, that's awesome. This is cool, but for me, this track's pace ultimately lets it down. It feels like it drags a bit. I feel this would've been better a minute ore two shorter.

Sacul...Kyuss-Asteroid

For a song that's four and a half minutes long, this track meanders way too long in the beginning. Even though it's only the first 38 seconds, it feels like a minute and a half. But then it rips into a cool Sabbath part. But it then jerks off for an entire minute of nonsense. Then it doodles, and basically repeats the Sabbath part. This track needed more Sabbath and less doodling and jerking.

Tyrias...Russian Circles-Lebaron

Well after hearing Death Rides A Horse, I was very psyched to hear another track from Russian Circles. This sounds like it might be from an earlier album. It's way less polished. I would've never guessed it was the same band. I knid of wished I heard this one first. The opening really didn't grab me like "Death" did. I did like the part 1:30. But the last couple minutes is pretty mid tempo. Just didn't live up to the first one.

Parama...Thank You Scientist-Rube Goldberg Variations

OK. How the hell do I grade this??
I'll try. So this obviously ain't like the others. I put this at the end of my CD, which was a good place for it, because it kind of stands alone. I must admit, this was a chore to get through. It's kind of Zappaish, which is to say, not my thing. But, if I was clicking the channels on TV one night, and stumbled upon a performance of this, I would absolutely stop dead in my tracks to watch. Awesome solo at 6:30. I'm going to generously give this an 8. I can totally appreciate the musicianship, even though I'm not sure I would listen to it again.

Standings:

Parama-33.5
LordCost-33.5
Shadow Ninja - 32.5
Home-31.5
Train Of Naught-31.5
Tomislave95-31.5
The Silent Cody-30
Sacul-29.5
Tyrias-29

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 4 Results....Really!
« Reply #529 on: September 23, 2017, 07:23:11 AM »
That "meandering and nonsense" is actually what I love from that song :lol But don't worry, that album is full of Sabbath-like riffs and little noodling, it's mostly that track. The rest  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #530 on: September 23, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »
Death Rides a Horse is from the first album and Lebaron is from fifth :tup If you want more of the same, check out the album Enter, it's riff after riff, really heavy. Other albums are more atmospheric than the first.
I'm so glad you liked it, I would never guess you'd like it that much tbh :P and it's been a while since I got 9 in roulette
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #531 on: September 23, 2017, 08:40:33 AM »
Death Rides a Horse is from the first album and Lebaron is from fifth :tup 

I'm surprised to hear that. I would've thought it would've been reversed.  Death seemed so much more advanced.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, and Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 4 Results....Really!
« Reply #532 on: September 23, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
Oh, and send Round 5. It's an Open Round. Would like to get everything downloaded by late tomorrow.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: September 23, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »

Ironic, since Chad isn't worried about offending anyone- which is odd, because he's not American.

:clap:  Glad to see you back in form.  Mind you, that was a pretty easy softball I lobbed over to ya.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #534 on: September 23, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »
Train Of Naught...God Is An Astronaut-Agneya[/b]
I liked the keyboard sound to this.
Welcome to post-rock, I'm almost 100% sure there's actually no keyboard in this song. :lol They use a gazillion amps to expand their sound range, it's a really cool approach to obtain a more atmosphere-focused sound in my opinion. This album (Helios/Erebus) is quite heavy compared to some of their other albums, I bet you'll like most of it (the title track is one of my favourite songs ever, and definitely my favourite instrumental ever) based on your thoughts on Agneya. That Caspian album (Dust and Disquiet) is similar to this one in a lot of ways and you would probably like that one as well, but I'll leave that to home cause I think he is more into Caspian than I am.

I want to send round 5 but I'm heading to an awesome concert in about 20 minutes (Arcane Roots :metal :metal) and I feel like I would rush my submission and instantly regret it so I will send tonight.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #535 on: September 23, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
Welcome to post-rock, I'm almost 100% sure there's actually no keyboard in this song. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: September 23, 2017, 09:41:01 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #537 on: September 23, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
Welcome to post-rock, I'm almost 100% sure there's actually no keyboard in this song. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

I've heard some GIAA and liked it. I used to play it whilst doing paperwork at work. I like the Ocean Pelagial album, though only the instrumental, growlless version.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: September 23, 2017, 10:26:03 AM »
I remember getting something from The Ocean/Pelagial in one of my roulettes, and I was mostly underwhelmed.

Just had a listen to a couple of these tunes, and am wondering if Spotify is trying to punk me.

I think Tim is listening while drinking too.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:34:41 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #539 on: September 23, 2017, 11:04:34 AM »
i mean, LordCost sent the instrumental version of the song, there's an entirely instrumental version of the album but it's Not As Good  :P
anyways i can accept that. i'm gonna get like 6/10 with my next entry and 3/10 in the growlie round so goodbye the rest of my points for the entire roulette i guess

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #541 on: September 23, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »
Glad you liked my song, and yeah that God is an Astronaut song is awesome  :metal :metal

That Caspian album (Dust and Disquiet) is similar to this one in a lot of ways and you would probably like that one as well, but I'll leave that to home cause I think he is more into Caspian than I am.
You'll probably like Dust and Disquiet if you like Helios/Erebus. Caspian generally has a bit more long build ups compared to GiaA who have (for a post rock band) a lot of  songs with the traditional verse/chorus structure. Not all Caspian's songs take as long too start as Darkfield though :p

Sent a pretty popular band that hasn't been sent yet  :hat
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #542 on: September 23, 2017, 02:59:10 PM »
I actually never listened to the first Russian Circles album, so I'm not sure how it compares to their other albums. I'm listening to " Death Rides A Horse" right now, and it does seem quite good, I see why it might be more up your alley than Lebaron. Then, I'm also really drunk right now, so I'm having a hard time concentrating on the song. Will send for the next round tomoroow, when I'm sober again.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #543 on: September 23, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »
Looking at the scores, maybe you should send drunk.  ;D

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #544 on: September 23, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
Well, not much to lose anyway. Gonna send something from my personal summer hit album. It's quirky, it's fun, and it's definetely not something radio would market as a "summer hit". Also, it's a few years too old to be a summer hit in 2017. Love it anyway.

Basically, this whole album is the kind of album that makes you go like "Chill out and forget everything around you, then do some crazy dance that makes people worry you are having an epileptic seizure".

Which is also how I'm probably looking right now. Good I'm already home and no one sees me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #545 on: September 23, 2017, 04:00:28 PM »
Yikes!

Will send for the next round tomoroow, when I'm sober again.

Might be a good idea......

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #546 on: September 23, 2017, 04:06:44 PM »
Well, too late :lol.

Too calm you a bit, it's a (mostly instrumental) rock band, and the song is pretty drum and (guitar) riff-driven. Although my last post did sound nothing like that, to be fair. Pretty sure you're not going to loathe it at least ;)

edit: also, I meant "summer hit album" in the sense that I listened to it a lot this summer, not that it's anywhere near anything that has a realistic chance of becoming a summer hit :lol
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:26:00 PM by Tyrias »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #547 on: September 23, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
Or an autumn hit... :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #548 on: September 23, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »
my entry was an autumn hit
and also a summer hit
and a winter hit and spring hit
and it's not even my favorite off the album, go figure

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: September 24, 2017, 04:40:00 AM »
Lots for me to check out in that last round.

The Gordian Knot is brilliant.  Only know a couple of Kyuss' songs which are cool.  I think I have the Ocean album but couldn't tell you a thing about it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: September 24, 2017, 05:28:31 AM »
Had a listen to all of those.  "Best" round so far, but in saying so, it's like saying it was the cream of the crap.  Nothing terribly wrong with any of those tunes, but nothing terribly right either.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #551 on: September 24, 2017, 06:50:58 AM »
Had a listen to all of those.  "Best" round so far, but in saying so, it's like saying it was the cream of the crap.  Nothing terribly wrong with any of those tunes, but nothing terribly right either.

Nah, that's not true. The reviews are in the same order as my CD. With the exception of the last couple minutes of the Micic track, the first 5 tracks go pretty damned good together. The round breaks down towards the end, but this would be one CD that I would pull back out in the future, just for the first 5 tracks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #552 on: September 24, 2017, 06:54:26 AM »
Just waiting for:
Cody
Tomislav95
Sacul
LordCost

Would like to get these this afternoon!

LordCost..please resubmit.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #553 on: September 24, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »

LordCost..please resubmit.

I'm at work with a colleague who listens to metal but we have very few bands we love in common and Alter Bridge is one of them. I was positive about the submission.

I will send a new song soon.

Nice to be at the top of the ranking, I'm not used to be there!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »
Nice to be at the top of the ranking, I'm not used to be there!
i'm sorry  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #555 on: September 24, 2017, 12:57:52 PM »
Sent some tomicore.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #556 on: September 24, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
Sent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #557 on: September 24, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »
Got it, thanks. Just waiting on Cody..:impatient:

...and LordCost who I know is at work.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #558 on: September 24, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »
Just sent!!! Sorry for the delay!!
 :yarr

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: September 25, 2017, 06:17:45 PM »
Everyone is locked and Loaded for Round 5.
Listening has commenced!

Also, Round 6 is the Growlie Round!