Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.2..Steaming Results!  (Read 62609 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 2 Results!
« Reply #350 on: September 09, 2017, 04:32:15 AM »
Yeah let's send the worst song of The Congregation instead of one of the best Leprous songs luke :neverusethis:

ANOTT is a good intro to TDH as well but musically not as interesting on its own as Mustard Gas
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #351 on: September 09, 2017, 06:12:01 AM »
Creating Spotify playlist to run through these (at my own peril!).  Quickly on the band choices though:

Haken ... don't get 'em.  Tried over and over and over again.  As I said to Nick recently, "my simple ways just can't appreciate the awesomeness of them".  It made him feel better.
Riverside ... don't get them either.  Tried SLS, and figured that if I didn't click with that album, they weren't for me.
The Dear Hunter ... I have all the 'Act' albums, and enjoy them whenever I play them - maybe once a year.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #352 on: September 09, 2017, 09:29:53 AM »
Yeah let's send the worst song of The Congregation instead of one of the best Leprous songs luke :neverusethis:

I think you forgot to add the green font colour as there is no way you can be serious!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #353 on: September 09, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
Creating Spotify playlist to run through these (at my own peril!).  Quickly on the band choices though:

Haken ... don't get 'em.  Tried over and over and over again.  As I said to Nick recently, "my simple ways just can't appreciate the awesomeness of them".  It made him feel better.
Riverside ... don't get them either.  Tried SLS, and figured that if I didn't click with that album, they weren't for me.
The Dear Hunter ... I have all the 'Act' albums, and enjoy them whenever I play them - maybe once a year.

Pretty much this. I like some Halen, but generally that's the more DT bits.
I like tDH if I'm in the mood for them, which isn't often.
Leprous - tried them but didn't do anything for me.
Likewise Paradise Lost.

I just don't like to work too hard to like my music.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #354 on: September 09, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »

I think you forgot to add the green font colour as there is no way you can be serious!
Third Law is my 3rd favourite of The congregation but during the survivor it seemed to me that I was the only one who liked the song.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #355 on: September 09, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
I can't fathom how someone would think Third Law is the worst song on The Congregation. That album is front-loaded if anything.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #356 on: September 09, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »

For Riverside at least check out Anno Domini High Definition. It's a very different sound than their first three albums and a sound that IMO works way better. And the album is pretty short too all things considered so you're not wasting much time if you hate it  :P

Third Law is like in the middle of The Congregation ranking-wise for me. If I were to send any song from that album though it'd be The Flood but tbh if I had sent Leprous? I'd probably have sent Acquired Taste or Painful Detour, since they're more on the melodic side of things while still interestingly proggy. The Flood is great but it is definitely a bit one-note compared to Bilateral stuff.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #357 on: September 09, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »
I just love Third Law more than any other Leprous song, dat chorus  :hefdaddy

I get everyone has different tastes but basically:
I can't fathom how someone would think Third Law is the worst song on The Congregation. That album is front-loaded if anything.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #358 on: September 09, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »
Man, I went to look back at the Congregation survivor and it pretty much settles it for me, one of the most polarizing albums ranking-wise I know of. Maybe worst song on the album is a bit rough but definitely bottom 3 along with Triumphant and Within My Fence for me. I probably rank Slave, Moon and Lower higher than most people here and apparently rank Third Law way lower than most. I love the verses of Third Law but find the chorus pretty boring. Cool main rhythm though

If I would've sent Leprous, it would probably have been Mb. Indifferentia, maybe Slave. Forced Entry is also a great pick IMO

I'ma send you a song today TAC, glad you kind of liked Mustard Gas, or at least more than whatever you heard of TDH beforehand. Gonna send you a roulette meme
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #359 on: September 09, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
I'm with you on Slave dude. That would be in my top 5 Leprous songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #360 on: September 09, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »
Yes, everybody get your Round 3 songs in please! Would love to get them all in tomorrow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: September 09, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
sent my round 3 song over a week ago  :corn

Offline LordCost

« Reply #362 on: September 09, 2017, 03:08:09 PM »
Sent another rather predictable band and a song I've already sent in another roulette, but why not

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #363 on: September 09, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
Sent another rather predictable band and a song I've already sent in another roulette, but why not

I predict there will be some Heavy Devy sometime soon.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LordCost

« Reply #364 on: September 09, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »

I predict there will be some Heavy Devy sometime soon.
What a coincidence, I'm listening now to Ocean Machine, but I still know only that album by Devin Townsend. I listened to Hide Nowhere on shuffle today while studying and I enjoyed it a lot and tonight I'm trying for the second time the whole album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #365 on: September 09, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
hide nowhere is probably my least favorite on ocean machine  :lol
i am gonna try to stick to bands nobody else is likely to enter for this roulette anyways, with maybe one or two exceptions. just more fun to send stuff nobody else would send  :lol
regardless i have no plans to send any obscure black metal so you can at least rest easy knowing that

Offline LordCost

« Reply #366 on: September 09, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »
hide nowhere is probably my least favorite on ocean machine  :lol
i am gonna try to stick to bands nobody else is likely to enter for this roulette anyways, with maybe one or two exceptions. just more fun to send stuff nobody else would send  :lol
regardless i have no plans to send any obscure black metal so you can at least rest easy knowing that

Seventh Wave, Regulator, Hide Nowhere are the ones I really like and remember. At first listen I loved Seventh Wave, didn't like Life, and the rest of the songs until Regulator were good but nothing more, and then I abandoned that album for some time until today. If I organize a roulette, I would maybe organize something as the Savatage round in the previous TAC roulette, Devin discography is too vast for my laziness  :lol

I won't send obscure and forgotten bands like Aoria in yours, apart one or two exceptions that are however in my top 10-15 bands.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: September 09, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
umm well the last four tracks off ocean machine are all like, the best tracks  :lol
like literally right after regulator the album gets way better

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: September 09, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #370 on: September 09, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
I hoped that in 6 or 7 listens TAC would have learned and loved Forced Entry. The Leprous survivor of last year proved one more time that it's still their best song, but I could have chosen something easier like I did for PoS submission. I'm not convinced neither by Third Law, but it's hard to find a Leprous track that fits to what I imagine are TAC tastes, but I had to send one of my favourite bands  ;D

I probably gave Forced Entry at least 10 listens. I tried to find what I was missing. I kept waiting for it to hit me. The part where it goes, "I forced my way" (I think that's what he says) at the 9:00 minute mark would've been a great place to end the song. But it meanders for another minute. I just think it was too long. I never felt engaged for the journey it was trying to take me on. Every time I felt it was going to "get there", it just didn't.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: September 09, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
I like some Halen

Good man  :metal

Oh shit! :rollin

BTW Brent, did you see this?
https://bravewords.com/news/gene-simmons-the-vault-box-set-to-include-1977-love-gun-demos-featuring-van-halen-brothers

Yeah heard about that a while back.  Have you seen Gene's used car salesman style ad for it?   It seems that he's taken it down but it was super awful  :lol  Apparently people who buy this thing will get a real vault hand delivered to them by Gene so I'm guessing something like $50k.

I'll keep an eye out but I wouldn't be paying up just for that.  I think most of the best KISS demos etc.....have already seen the light of day by now.  Perhaps at some point after all the plebs have paid $50k for the vault and a personal delivery, he'll release a regular version for $50  ;D

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #372 on: September 09, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »
As far as the 70's go, KISS Demos is redundant.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #373 on: September 09, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »
Still waiting for 5 of you to turn in Round 3 submissions.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #374 on: September 09, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »
I can't believe I agree with TAC on Forced Entry  :o

Will send in a while, won't give it much thought :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: September 10, 2017, 04:30:20 AM »

For Riverside at least check out Anno Domini High Definition. It's a very different sound than their first three albums and a sound that IMO works way better. And the album is pretty short too all things considered so you're not wasting much time if you hate it  :P

I agree.  For a metalhead, I'd definitely start with Anno Domini over everything else, much more accessible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #376 on: September 10, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »
Sorry for the delay TAC, bachelor party yesterday ;)
I'm sending You sth in a few moments!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #377 on: September 10, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
Sent.

Late for Leprous discussion but I'll say it: The Congregation is my favorite album and Lower is probably my favorite song off it (but every song is great).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #378 on: September 10, 2017, 12:25:27 PM »

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #379 on: September 10, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
So, I was kind of expecting you to pick Mumford and Sons, but Sigur Ros are one of my favourite bands and I wanted to see how they would go over with you. Apparently not well :lol.
Anyway, if you find some time here are some further suggestions for some Mumford and Sons tunes to watch on youtube (since you like live videos, these are mostly live recordings):
Litte Lion Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqjFznVr3wM (Their most popular song, pretty poppy and catchy, and a campfire classic in my circle of friends)
Broken Crown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9l8ePxH28 (One of my favourite songs by them, and more similar in mood to Thistle and Weeds. Unfortunately no good live recordings available for this one)

Anyway, I'll send for the next round in a few, just need to decide what to send.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #380 on: September 10, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »
Cool, thanks Tyrias. Will check out.

Just waiting on home. :impatient:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: September 10, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
I mean, I would have never sent Forced Entry to Tim. Third Law is a good pick, it's a great song with a great hook in the chorus too, but also probably not what I would've sent.

If I were participating here, I would've sent The Cloak. In fact, I'm going to PM him with this song right now, just in case.

For the fogeys: here's the link if you're curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9o2nVY8FZ0
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:32:41 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #382 on: September 10, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
Third Law is a good pick, it's a great song with a great hook in the chorus too

You know the score Evermind.

I really didn't realise how divisive The Congregation actually is.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: September 10, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
Probably my favourite Leprous album though right now. The only songs I'm not too obsessed with are Triumphant, Within My Fence and Red, everything else is gold if not platinum.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #384 on: September 10, 2017, 06:10:10 PM »
triumphant is excellent though