Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.2..Steaming Results!  (Read 62573 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 2 Listening!
« Reply #315 on: September 07, 2017, 08:02:00 PM »
Scores tonight.
Write ups tomorrow.

Still higher than Winger.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #316 on: September 07, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »
6.0  :corn

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #317 on: September 08, 2017, 12:35:36 AM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #318 on: September 08, 2017, 12:46:25 AM »
i wanna complete the 6/9 collection

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #319 on: September 08, 2017, 12:53:58 AM »
Oh I'm pretty sure I'm 7.0... It's getting hard for me to even break that 8.0 barrier in roulettes lately but I'm getting 7s all the time.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline LordCost

« Reply #320 on: September 08, 2017, 04:38:56 AM »
I'm going to catch all kinds of shit from the peanut gallery for one of the songs, but one track, which I thought was dreadful the first time I heard it, is slowly becoming my favorite of the round.

Surely not?

God no. :lol

But close..  I will post the scores with my flame suit on.
This could be mine  :\

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #321 on: September 08, 2017, 07:34:59 AM »
I'm not even in this and I am sitting on pins and needles for the write-ups.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #322 on: September 08, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
Listening to some of these songs was like sitting on pins.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: September 08, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »
Take your time with those results  :corn
I know they're not very fun. to write but you gotta force through it

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #324 on: September 08, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
I just have a couple more to go. Almost done! :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #325 on: September 08, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
Waiting for total punishment  ;D  :corn :corn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #326 on: September 08, 2017, 03:14:18 PM »
Waiting for total punishment  ;D  :corn :corn

Your wait is over!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #327 on: September 08, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »
Round 2 Results:

Parama...Fun-Take Your Time
"This band thinks they are some kind of modern Billy Joel"

So this was the first song I heard in this round and I thought, Oh God, WTF is this? This is terrible. It starts off and I'm thinking, is this Paul f'n Simon?? I made may way through the song, and I could hear what I felt like a Billy Joel style ending, meaning, this is the type of track that goes up and down, but is clearly written for the live environment.
By the third listen, I really started to figure this song out, and I really dug it. Honestly, it became the only song in the round that I actually looked forward to hearing.
I youtubed the track to find some live performances, and couldn't believe that this song is over 5 years old, and that the band was so freaking young looking. The singer has a unique style to his voice. I had literally never heard of this band before. Not sure I'd look to discover more, but this song really hooked me. It's a minute or so too long, but this was easily the song of the round.

I expect to catch all kinds of shit from the peanut gallery for this, so fire away assholes! My flame suit is on! And my Heavy Metal Card is locked in a fire proof safe!

Train Of Naught...The Deer Hunter-Mustard Gas
"I've sampled this band, and this is much better than what I heard"

When I saw The Deer Hunter track, I kind of rolled my eyes a bit. I sampled them a few years ago, and thought it was pretty bad. I must've picked a much lighter track or two, because nothing I ever heard was this heavy. So that kind of surprised me. This song seems to showcase a number of things this band can do. They seem quite versatile. I would certainly be willing to give this band another chance, based on this song, so I'll take recommendations. I thought this song was pretty cool.

While I can generally hear Alice Cooper in everything, I hear him all over this song. Has any of the members cited him as an influence? It really jumps out at me.

Tomislav95....Paradise Lost-Embers Fire
"Reminds me a bit of The Cult."

So, while I'm sure this is a legit song, I couldn't help feel like this was some sort of SNL Heavy Metal spoof song. Felt very Spinal Tap-ish. The singer sounds like a cross between Glenn Danzig and Tom Araya, playing over Black Sabbath.
Honestly, the song kind of plods along. It's kind of like early 90's plodding Metallica, and this song would be a whole lot better if James Hetfield was singing it. 

LordCost...Leprous-Forced Entry
"I have no idea what I just listened to."

I found this song really challenging to get through. The playing is excellent, but I kept waiting for the "That's it!" moment. At 10:20, it's simply too long for what it offers. I see a lot of Leprous mentions on DTF, so I was very excited to get them. I would be more than willing to try another song. But sometimes I hear music like this, and think it's playing for playing's sake. I just never felt like this song took me anywhere. I think if this song was condensed down by 4 or 5 minutes, it would've been more effective.

Shadow Ninja 2.0......Beach House-Myth
"I have no f'n clue WTF I just f'n listened to."

Ninja, dude. Hmm.. Ok, well, first off, I made it clear that don't send me something you think I might like. I'd rather everyone send something they like. I'm having this roulette to hear what people, outside of my circle, are listening to. So I deeply appreciate every submission. I mean that.
So, the song. Here's what I liked about it. It has this melancholy feel that is actually quite captivating. I could see this song on a movie soundtrack being played either during the credits, or during some reflective moment. It has a "heavy on the heart" sort of feel to it. But I don't know. It just didn't work for me.

The Silent Cody...Rage-Twenty One
"It was OK. I was expecting better"

I've sampled Rage before. They are a long running metal band. I was looking forward to this track, hoping for a diamond in the rough.
But other than the Alice Cooper style opening, and the cool drum intro, I struggled to get into this song. The peanut gallery has said that Rage is half killer/half filler. I got the filler, I'm afraid.

Home...Haken-The Endless Knot

"This is going to take a few listens"

I had heard the first Haken album, and found it kind of loopy. But this song is definitely a lot more solid. But I found it Dream Theater 'lite'. It just didn't have the power or emotion that Dream Theater has. Not sure this track really shows off Haken's musicality. It shows off their playing for sure. And the singer is ok, but nothing that got me going. James Labrie is really one of the main reasons that Dream Theater seperates from the rest. There was really no emotion or range in these vocals. I think it undermined the track a bit, tbh. That said, the song was still one of the better ones of the round, but it still wasn't great.

Tyrias-Mumford & Sons-Thistle & Weeds
"Hmm..I'm pretty sure this was cool. I'm not sure."

So Tyrias used his Wild Card and submitted Sigur Ros'  Svo hljott. One listen. Goodbye Sigur Ros.

So a little known TAC secret is that Nirvana's Unplugged In New York is one of my favorite albums. Thistle & Weeds sounds like it was ripped right off of it. Vocaly it's pretty similar, and the song builds kind of neatly. This was a cool song, and I would love to see it in a live accoustic setting. I did not have a chance, during the round, to search Youtube, but I will. I'm not sure Mumford & Sons is really a TAC style band, and again, I would take more recommendations on them. But for a "moment in time", this song hits the spot.

Sacul..Riverside-Celebrity Touch
"This band has to have better songs than this"

I sampled Riverside years ago. My biggest issue then was I thought the singer was extremely dull. Guess what. I still do. I think he's the biggest hurdle this band has. For me, anyway. There is nothing that draws me in vocally.
Also, this song has kind of a Morse era Deep Purple (yawn) feel, but it does transition halfway through to a Presto era Rush feel, which is kind of cool. Honestly, that's what saved the song from a 6.5. Riverside has to have better songs, musically, than this. But I feel like, as I said, the vocals will prevent me from truly getting into this band.

Parama-17.5
Home-16.5
LordCost-15.5
Train Of Naught-15.5
The Silent Cody-15.0
Shadow Ninja - 15.0
Tomislave95-14.5
Tyrias-14.5
Sacul-14.0

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 2 Results!
« Reply #328 on: September 08, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »
Ugh... I don't like your writeup that much :P I really though you'd like it, will try to do better next round :tup

@Sacul, why Celebrity Touch, they have so many better songs :o
EDIT: 6.0 for Myth :'(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:36:36 PM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #329 on: September 08, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »
Tbh they have better songs (try this one), just sent you that one because it was quite dad-rock-influenced :neverusethis:

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #330 on: September 08, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
I wanted to send Riverside as it is my homeland band ;) but I went with Rage, I had an idea to send You some Primal Fear track, but I noticed them on Your list... whatever, I'm thinking about next round right now  :xbones

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: September 08, 2017, 03:41:36 PM »
Ugh... I don't like your writeup that much :P I really though you'd like it, will try to do better next round :tup

Sorry, bro. That was how I felt. Those vocals sounded kind of goofy.  :lol I was actually looking forward to hearing Paradise Lost. They MUST have better songs though, no?

just sent you that one because it was quite dad-rock-influenced :neverusethis:

:lol

I had an idea to send You some Primal Fear track,

Not in love with Primal Fear. I actually find Ralf Scheepers kind of annoying.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: September 08, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
Dammit. Well. Next round my score is getting nuked anyways  :corn

Also those are weird Haken and TDH entries imo
Leprous entry is great by itself but weird for TAC :B

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #333 on: September 08, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »

Sorry, bro. That was how I felt. Those vocals sounded kind of goofy.  :lol I was actually looking forward to hearing Paradise Lost. They MUST have better songs though, no?

They changed a lot through years and this era felt like something you'd like the most. And I love singer's voice :/

Dammit. Well. Next round my score is getting nuked anyways  :corn

Also those are weird Haken and TDH entries imo
Leprous entry is great by itself but weird for TAC :B
The Endless Know is one of their best songs imo

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #334 on: September 08, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
Oh and the riverside entry is weird too that's one of the weakest songs on one of their weakest albums like geez  :lol
Anno Domini is just one of the best prog metal albums ever and the first two albums are pretty great too so sending celebrity touch? Off Songs? Deprived off that album is the only track I ever really go bad to the so

And if you want better Haken stuff check out The Mountain cause that album rules, and Aquarius is good too, especially Celestial Elixir, The Endless Knot is good but Affinity isn't close to their best IMO

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: September 08, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »
Oh and the riverside entry is weird too that's one of the weakest songs on one of their weakest albums like geez  :lol
Anno Domini is just one of the best prog metal albums ever and the first two albums are pretty great too so sending celebrity touch? Off Songs? Deprived off that album is the only track I ever really go bad to the so

(..)
Totally agree. Second Live Syndrome and Anno Domini High Definition are masterpieces. Dunno why exactly Celebrity Touch... But I have other question? Does Riverside is known well in US now? They are one of Polish four bands that made it through the border ;) They were touring US a lot since I remember.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #336 on: September 08, 2017, 04:26:19 PM »
I mean they're decently big in the general prog metal scene I guess? I have no clue if they've ever toured here or when

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: September 08, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »
I mean they're decently big in the general prog metal scene I guess? I have no clue if they've ever toured here or when
Last time they were in US in 2015 in September:

Love, Fear and the Time Machine North American Tour 2015
2015-09-25      Agora Ballroom      Cleveland, OH, USA   
2015-09-24      Reggies                      Chicago, IL, USA   
2015-09-23      The Token Lounge      Westland, MI, USA   
2015-09-22      Mod Club                      Toronto, CALove,
2015-09-20      TThe Plaza Theater      Montreal, CA   
2015-09-19      L'imperial                      Quebec City, CA   2015
2015-09-18      The Marlin Room      New York, NY, USA   
2015-09-17      Crossroads Theatre      New Brunswick, NJ, USA   
2015-09-15      Bull Shooters Saloon  Philadelphia, PA, USA   
2015-09-13      The Canal Club           Richmond, VA, USA   
2015-09-12      ProgPower USA           Atlanta, GA, USA

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #338 on: September 08, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
Didn't one of the members pass away? When was their last album?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: September 08, 2017, 04:55:28 PM »
Parama...Fun-Take Your Time
"This band thinks they are some kind of modern Billy Joel"

So this was the first song I heard in this round and I thought, Oh God, WTF is this? This is terrible. It starts off and I'm thinking, is this Paul f'n Simon?? I made may way through the song, and I could hear what I felt like a Billy Joel style ending, meaning, this is the type of track that goes up and down, but is clearly written for the live environment.
By the third listen, I really started to figure this song out, and I really dug it. Honestly, it became the only song in the round that I actually looked forward to hearing.
I youtubed the track to find some live performances, and couldn't believe that this song is over 5 years old, and that the band was so freaking young looking. The singer has a unique style to his voice. I had literally never heard of this band before. Not sure I'd look to discover more, but this song really hooked me. It's a minute or so too long, but this was easily the song of the round.

I expect to catch all kinds of shit from the peanut gallery for this, so fire away assholes! My flame suit is on! And my Heavy Metal Card is locked in a fire proof safe!

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #340 on: September 08, 2017, 04:57:35 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: September 08, 2017, 04:58:22 PM »
No offense boys, but those Rage and Riverside songs selections IMO were poor.  Both have loads better songs to offer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: September 08, 2017, 05:00:08 PM »
Didn't one of the members pass away? When was their last album?
Piotr Grudziński, guitarist died of heart failure day after attending Winery Dogs show in Warsaw.... I believe it was 21st February. Their last album recorded as a full band with Piotr was released in 2015 - Love, Fear And The Death Machine. Then, after Piotr's death they released a collection of unreleased songs, but in totally different style. Very static, almost everything electronic, very moody, calm album - Eye Of The Soundscape. Now Riverside hires a new guitar player from another prog Polish band called Quidam. Any signs or news about true, new music yet.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #343 on: September 08, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »
Love, Fear And The Death Machine.

Replace 'Death' with 'Time' and you're good
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #344 on: September 08, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »
Love, Fear And The Death Machine.

Replace 'Death' with 'Time' and you're good
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Death Machine hahaha wtf was I thinking?  :lol sounds like title of Exodus album :rollin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #345 on: September 08, 2017, 05:22:03 PM »
Linkin Floyd - Welcome to the Death Machine

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: September 08, 2017, 06:12:08 PM »

Piotr Grudziński, guitarist died of heart failure day after attending Winery Dogs show in Warsaw.... I believe it was 21st February. Their last album recorded as a full band with Piotr was released in 2015 - Love, Fear And The Death Machine. 

I didn't know any better, but I thought it sounded kind of ironic.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: September 08, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »

Piotr Grudziński, guitarist died of heart failure day after attending Winery Dogs show in Warsaw.... I believe it was 21st February. Their last album recorded as a full band with Piotr was released in 2015 - Love, Fear And The Death Machine. 

I didn't know any better, but I thought it sounded kind of ironic.
My mistake of course with exchanging the words, it should be Love, Fear And The Time Machine. I probably was thinking word death when I was writing it and I just wrote it wrong....

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #348 on: September 09, 2017, 01:16:42 AM »
Some great bands sent in this round, however, for every single one I would've chosen a different (better, in my opinion) song.

Off the top of my head:

The Dear Hunter - A Night on the Town
Paradise Lost - Last Regret
Leprous - Third Law
Haken - Pareidolia (Visions is my actual favourite song but it's 20+ minutes)
Riverside - The Depth of Self Delusion

Come on guys, what were you thinking??  :lol

Also, Parama sent me the same song in my roulette and I also loved it  :tup

Offline LordCost

« Reply #349 on: September 09, 2017, 03:29:02 AM »
Some great bands sent in this round, however, for every single one I would've chosen a different (better, in my opinion) song.

Off the top of my head:

The Dear Hunter - A Night on the Town
Paradise Lost - Last Regret
Leprous - Third Law
Haken - Pareidolia (Visions is my actual favourite song but it's 20+ minutes)
Riverside - The Depth of Self Delusion

Come on guys, what were you thinking??  :lol

Also, Parama sent me the same song in my roulette and I also loved it  :tup

I hoped that in 6 or 7 listens TAC would have learned and loved Forced Entry. The Leprous survivor of last year proved one more time that it's still their best song, but I could have chosen something easier like I did for PoS submission. I'm not convinced neither by Third Law, but it's hard to find a Leprous track that fits to what I imagine are TAC tastes, but I had to send one of my favourite bands  ;D

I still have to listen seriously to The Dear Hunter and Riverside, I don't know Paradise Lost and for Haken maybe I would have chosen something from Visions playing safe, because Visions it's the most similar album to DT. Maybe Nocturnal Conspiracy.