Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.2..Steaming Results!  (Read 63392 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 1 Results!
« Reply #245 on: September 01, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »
also yeah that bass groove you mentioned is the first thing that really jumped out at me in the song when i heard it because damn, that's a great friggin' groove

anyways yeah you have all my songs up to round 6 already so  :lol

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2017, 01:31:37 AM »
Well, no more trying to play it save from now on ::), seeing how that worked out. And actually, this is one of my favourite Kamelot songs, but I see how people think other songs are better, especially on The Black Halo. The whole album is pretty consistent in quality.

Since I'm already last, there's absolutely nothing left to lose and I'll just send you some of my favourite songs and hope you like at least some of them, even if they're quite far away from your comfort zone.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2017, 01:39:30 AM »
In defense of Tyrias, Moonlight is the song that got me into Kamelot. I've heard it first at some online metal-radio-thing and I've checked out the rest of the band's discography because of it. I agree there are better songs, but Moonlight is pretty good start. Not sure if it's a good opener though.

Nightmist is pretty good, but there are better songs, yeah. If I want to send PoS, I just send Iter Impius to everyone, so Tim, maybe try that.

Powerwolf and Mercenary are safe choices for sure. At least you've got fairly non-cheesy Powerwolf song, because they have songs like, say, Resurrection by Erection. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2017, 01:57:53 AM »
Can't really fault you for ranking Another Sky and This is the Time higher than Hypnos, those are awesome songs and definitely superior. Don't know any of the other songs :lol thought I would see stuff like Thank You Scientist, Haken and The Dear Hunter this round but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer.

Sent for round 2 btw
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2017, 03:07:58 AM »
Sent for round 2, and I'm really curious for the result. This is potentially going to be a total trainwreck, but TAC did say we should send stuff we love :lol.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2017, 03:38:12 AM »
The ones I know -

Kamelot - I like them but prefer the older stuff before they became really serious. Siege Perilous and Karma for me. Lately it's all so po faced.

PoS - saw them Support DT years ago and liked what I heard. Bought Remedy Lane and didn't like it at all. Sampled things since then and they just aren't for me.

Mandroid Echostar - I bought their first and liked it, even sent them in one of the few roulettes ive joined.

Within Temptation - I enjoyed a couple of albums and Sharon is gorgeous so live videos are a must 😀

The rest I'll have a listen to later.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2017, 03:39:15 AM »
Yessss, 7.5 is my favorite :P
To be honest, I forgot there is a theme for this round, maybe I could have played it better but this is ok, too.
I tried to guess your taste and that's why I sent WT, I promise I'll try to send different things from now on. And there will be some bad stuff :P

EDIT: I sent something I sent before but I had to. I love that band and I think TAC might like them, too, even though it's different than anything else he has on his banned list.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:04:24 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2017, 05:18:24 AM »
I agree with the Kamelot comments... but if Tim's tried a lot and it still ain't working, so be it.  There's some bands that just don't click for us - we all have them, and Kamelot seems to be one for him.  C'est la vie.

Kade gave me Mercenary in my 2nd (Jeopardy style) roulette, and it won him some money.

Mandroid Echostar is cool, but I haven't really followed them much.

PoS... well, I've tried them over and over again, and they just don't click with me.  Some ok tunes here and there, but I've long given up on them.

Will make a TAC Roulette Playlist momentarily to see what's what with the rest.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LordCost

« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2017, 07:18:42 AM »
I thought that anything metal was ok for the theme. And I decided to send something from Entropia (a bit heavier) because maybe TAC had already heard something off TPE and Remedy Lane and didn't like it.

I read only "Kick My Ass round" without reading the row below saying that the song should have been an opener or something like that. I've seen it now. Nightmist works more as closer  :sad:

Sent one of my favourite songs ever for round 2 which probably TAC won't like.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #254 on: September 02, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »
 :metal 8.0 ! Yesssss :)
Glad You like Soul Decision, there's more good tunes on The Hours That Remain album, it is definitly worth a good listen. New Mercenary stuff is quite repetitive, but You like that specific genre You will love it. I'm waiting for round 2 which is open, right? I have two ideas, one will kick ass, second one is good for watching into stars ;) 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2017, 11:03:49 AM »
I'm at work all day today.  :tdwn. I see Round 2 submissions rolling in. Awesome!!!

I should be able to check back to in tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Round 1 Listening!
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
Awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it! ;D (I had a feeling it would be a pretty safe track)

Not sure the point of the first minute, but this chorus really stuck with me, probably more so than any other in the round. I would really be interested to hear more from this band. Though I could totally see myself hating it. But this track really hits me.
The first minute is kind of just the introduction to the album, it's even listed as a seperate track on the disk I think (they released them together as the single tho) I'd say it's pretty representative of the album. They're pretty good in writing these big catchy choruses.  :metal

and god went north is the better nothing more song of the two i know, so
I guess God Went North is slightly more progressive, even though it's kinda more a standard composition spread out a little, and also more emotional. However This is The Time was a far better fit for the theme of the round.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2017, 05:04:59 PM »
Sent one of my favourite songs ever for round 2 which probably TAC won't like.

Gee, not too much pressure!

Be sure to post your thoughts.

Seems I have everyone except Sacul. No rush though. I'm going to be out of commission for most of tomorrow anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2017, 05:12:47 PM »
Oh crap :lol

Do you like some 80s pop or any pop music, TAC? I may have a track or two.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
This round is going to be scary enough already thankyouverymuch.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2017, 06:00:05 PM »
i already sent pop, kinda

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2017, 08:48:38 PM »
I have everything loaded on my iPod...except for Sacul.  :impatient:

One person used their Wild Card. So the way I treat Wild Cards is that I'll listen to both, and then I'll pick one to go forward with for the round. Usually it's obvious. This time, it may take a number of listens to decide. That does not mean it's have more listens than the rest. I'll even it up.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »
  This time, it may take a number of listens to decide. 

Nope. One listen. No contest.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: September 02, 2017, 09:07:08 PM »
Sent some prog with dad rock vibes :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2017, 11:39:30 PM »
if you wanna know how my roulette is going, i've done 6 of 10 writeups for the last round and every score is lower than the lowest score you gave in round 1  :corn

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #265 on: September 03, 2017, 03:56:18 AM »
thought I would see stuff like Thank You Scientist, Haken and The Dear Hunter this round but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer.
I got from a credible source that at least one of those bands has been sent this round  :hat

(After all, we need a hero to prevail :p )
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2017, 04:30:00 AM »
  This time, it may take a number of listens to decide. 

Nope. One listen. No contest.

I have my suspicions which one you kicked out, but maybe I still absolutely suck at reading your tastes :lol.
Like I said, it would be nice to get a comment on what you disliked about the song you kicked out, just to know what to avoid in the future.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2017, 05:10:16 AM »
I thought that anything metal was ok for the theme. And I decided to send something from Entropia (a bit heavier) because maybe TAC had already heard something off TPE and Remedy Lane and didn't like it.
I still don't know which kind of metal I can send given that I know very few of your bands in the banned list, but 8.5 is good :tup
I agree with Parama that there are better songs than Nightmist in their discography

Not trying to knock you or your submission mate.  I'm a big POS fan and that's a cracking song, but knowing Tim and his style, I think when he asked for a 'kick my ass' style tune for the round, he's thinking fast and full of energy as opposed to kick his ass with the quality of the song.  Still a good score though mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #268 on: September 03, 2017, 05:29:10 AM »

Mercenary was the best of the bunch.  Powerwolf was a bit too much on the cheez-fest side of things.  Mandroid Echostar was high quality too.  The Boris track was not on Spotify.  The others didn't really make much of an impression one way or the other.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: September 03, 2017, 05:35:01 AM »
I've checked out a few Powerwolf tracks over time and it's kind of just 'meh' for me.  What I've heard is okay but nothing that really sticks or impresses me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #270 on: September 03, 2017, 05:59:12 AM »
if you wanna know how my roulette is going, i've done 6 of 10 writeups for the last round and every score is lower than the lowest score you gave in round 1  :corn

The scoring will follow a similar pattern. I don't want anyone out of it because they blew a round. Generally the worst song gets a 7 and the best song gets a 9.

My Roulettes are Non Confrontational. At least when it comes to scoring.

Wait till you see the scores for Round 6 though!

Mercenary was the best of the bunch.  Powerwolf was a bit too much on the cheez-fest side of things.  Mandroid Echostar was high quality too.  The Boris track was not on Spotify.  The others didn't really make much of an impression one way or the other.

Powerwolf was cheesy, but sometimes the cheese hits the spot. It was the first song sent and that I listened to, and I thought I was back in my first roulette. :D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: September 03, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »

Boris is on YouTube (albeit in shit quality) https://youtu.be/_0OLEoLa2T0

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #272 on: September 03, 2017, 08:07:31 AM »
Lots of DTF faves submitted in this round.  Definitely out of my zones. But happy to get them. Won't start listening until maybe tonight though, other than the Wild Card tracks, which was settled with one listen.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #273 on: September 03, 2017, 08:28:10 AM »
I've checked out a few Powerwolf tracks over time and it's kind of just 'meh' for me.  What I've heard is okay but nothing that really sticks or impresses me.

This, pretty much. Like lots of power metal, I hear a song and think "this is awesome". Check the album out and everything sounds like that song and I'm bored after track 3.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »
That Powerwolf song got me pumping though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
i'm almost positive my round 4 artist is going to get sent before round 4 but fortunately i have a backup for that round prepared

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2017, 11:16:17 AM »
I've seen the name on DTF, but I've never heard a single note from them.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »
cool, well, you will hear several thousand individual notes strung together to make one song when you do hear them for the first time, then.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »
I think the vocals set Powerwolf apart from most power metal bands. They're like Sabaton except they sing about werewolves instead of WWII.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2017, 07:13:40 PM »
Yeah, I thought the vocals were very strong.