Author Topic: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor  (Read 3150 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor
« on: August 24, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »
I don't even watch boxing at all and somehow i'm still drawn into this spectacle. Conor has to be the biggest shit talker in the world, however it's so entertaining how confident he is about this fight.  :lol

Do I think Conor has a chance against a undefeated boxing champion, probably not but then again it would be quite a thing if he actually do.

Predictions?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dream Team

Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
All the experts say McGregor has no chance, that the fight will go only as long as Mayweather wants.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:51:50 PM »
I don't even watch boxing at all and somehow i'm still drawn into this spectacle. Conor has to be the biggest shit talker in the world, however it's so entertaining how confident he is about this fight.  :lol

Do I think Conor has a chance against a undefeated boxing champion, probably not but then again it would be quite a thing if he actually do.

Predictions?
McGreggor doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell to beat Mayweather. He'll be lucky to lay a glove on him. Mayweather is going to put on a clinic.
A guy who has never fought a professional fight in his lifetime against arguably the best boxer off all time. This is such a mismatch its silly.
And 87% of the suckers betting this fight on laying there money on Connor.
If McGreggor was to win, Vegas would be reeling.

In any event I can't stand Floyd, but don't expect a competitive fight in this one.

Now if Floyd stepped into the Octagon he wouldn't last 3 minutes. Connor would kill him. This isn't the Octagon, and this fight is an over hyped money grab the likes of which we have never seen.
99 bucks to see an exhibition match pitting the best ever against a guy who never strictly boxed.
Cue up the PT Barnum quote...
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
These guys really know how to sell their product.

I am caught up in this mildly, which is significantly higher than any interest I have ever had in anything boxing or MMA related. Though I do enjoy listening to Chael Sonnen talking about, well, anything.

Was going to try and find a bar nearby to watch this but Mrs. Cool Chris has plans that day so I'll be with my daughter.

I honestly think he has a chance, even if it is minuscule. Floyd just isn't going to give him a chance to land anything solid, which is Conor's best chance.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »
I feel like, for some reason, this fight will be this generation's Muhammad Ali vs Antonio Inoki.  Here's a link to a good article of that fight as a reference.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/nov/11/the-forgotten-story-of-ali-inoki

I feel like Mayweather/McGregor will go the same route in terms of people being hyped and once the fight ends, people end up being disappointing in both these guys' performance., but Mayweather and McGregor don't care since they will be reeling in that sweet, sweet, sweet payouts that only we can imagine and never attain.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
If McGregor gets a chance to actually hit him then he has a slight shot at winning. If this ends up being like every other Mayweather fight, with him blocking every shot like a little :censored then Conor has no chance in hell.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
If this ends up being like every other Mayweather fight, with him blocking every shot like a little :censored...

I know nothing about boxing, but wouldn't blocking the other guy's punches be a good thing, and part of your strategy?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 05:42:01 PM »
Mayweather and McGregor don't care since they will be reeling in that sweet, sweet, sweet payouts that only we can imagine and never attain.
True that, it's just a giant cash grab for both of them no matter the outcome. I still think it will be an entertaining fight to watch.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
I would love to see Mayweather get knocked out. Between the two he's the larger ego and I get that he's 49-0.....that's a big deal and all.....but it's not a very impressive 49-0 IMO

McGregor is a 'real' fighter IMO. Yes a massive ego as well but for me at least he's earned it. He will need lightning in a bottle to connect on Mayweather because Mayweathers game is 'you can't touch this'. He's never been rocked. If McGregor can rock him a couple times he will beat him.

Then....there's the financial angle. If you'd like to get conspiratorial with me Mayweather loses this fight intentionally to guarantee (3) massive paydays. The rematch (which he'd win) then the tie breaker. It's not out of the realm of possibility that these two have agreed to something along those lines. There's a ton of $$ to be made
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
Then....there's the financial angle. If you'd like to get conspiratorial with me Mayweather loses this fight intentionally to guarantee (3) massive paydays. The rematch (which he'd win) then the tie breaker. It's not out of the realm of possibility that these two have agreed to something along those lines. There's a ton of $$ to be made

In the event that is true, I can go ahead and say "and they say pro wrestling is the only "combat sport" that's scripted."  Maybe Vince McMahon and the WWE wants to sanction one of those events since Mayweather had done work with them in the past and they are always intrigued wanting to bring McGregor at some capacity.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
If this ends up being like every other Mayweather fight, with him blocking every shot like a little :censored...

I know nothing about boxing, but wouldn't blocking the other guy's punches be a good thing, and part of your strategy?

It's the way he does it. It feels like he's afraid to actually fight. And in a legit fight with McGregor, he would probably lose.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 06:48:12 AM »

This I don't believe for a second. Floyd does not need more money. He has more than he or his family will ever need. His legacy means a lot to him and I don't see him dropping a fight in order to make more money. I don't buy that conspiracy.
49-1 so he can make more money? No way!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 06:53:47 AM »

It's the way he does it. It feels like he's afraid to actually fight. And in a legit fight with McGregor, he would probably lose.

He's 49-0. I think his strategy is better than yours.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 06:57:58 AM »
I'd lump this fight in with the Kardashians and Snooki's baby in regards to how many fucks I give.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 07:01:22 AM »
I'd lump this fight in with the Kardashians and Snooki's baby in regards to how many fucks I give.

This. I hope they both knock each other out and both of them lose.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 07:18:04 AM »

This I don't believe for a second. Floyd does not need more money. He has more than he or his family will ever need. His legacy means a lot to him and I don't see him dropping a fight in order to make more money. I don't buy that conspiracy.
49-1 so he can make more money? No way!

Couple of things - Mayweather owes the IRS tens of millions, so he probably could use the payday (again). Also, he doesn't actually have to lose to get another payday out of this, all that has to happen is Conor being somewhat competitive and winning a couple rounds, ultimately having Floyd win the decision. That way they could sell a rematch as Conor's next shot at Floyd.

Oh and I'm not ruling out that this match is a fix. I mean Mayweather pretty much owns the fight and can do whatever he wants with it. Conor just wants to get paid.

Now if Floyd stepped into the Octagon he wouldn't last 3 minutes. Connor would kill him. This isn't the Octagon, and this fight is an over hyped money grab the likes of which we have never seen.
99 bucks to see an exhibition match pitting the best ever against a guy who never strictly boxed.
Cue up the PT Barnum quote...

Honestly if this was the Octagon 3 minutes is laughable. I'd give Floyd 30 seconds at most. The only big advantage I'd give Conor in this fight is this - he actually could beat the crap out of Floyd in a real fight and Floyd knows it. When Conor yells that in his face on the press tour, he's right and he's probably the first guy that Floyd has been matched against that can really say that. So there is that mental aspect to it that can't be ignored. Even though they are playing by boxing rules in Floyd's world, that will be in the back of his mind.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
I'm excited to watch, I know it's a spectacle but just like a movie I like to get lost in the narrative and story.

I'm on the side of what Joe Rogan said. If there is no fix then Floyd has a 95% chance of winning. If this was the octagon than Conor would have a 100% chance of winning.

Conor is the overall better fighter, no doubt about it but if I was him I wouldn't turn down a payday as big as he is getting even if the odds are stacked against me.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »
I'm excited to watch, I know it's a spectacle but just like a movie I like to get lost in the narrative and story.

I'm on the side of what Joe Rogan said. If there is no fix then Floyd has a 95% chance of winning. If this was the octagon than Conor would have a 100% chance of winning.

Conor is the overall better fighter, no doubt about it but if I was him I wouldn't turn down a payday as big as he is getting even if the odds are stacked against me.

Agreed all around. Conor is going to make, what $100 million plus? I'm not sure if he'll even go back to UFC after this, every pay day there will seem like such a let down after this one.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 11:16:24 AM »
Not buying the fight. This is stupid. And what's even more dumb is that the fight actually counts toward Mayweather's record. I didn't realize that. So, he would go 50-0, even though he is fighting what is basically an amateur boxer. And, he'll surpass Rocky Marciano when he does. I didn't know that until this morning when I heard it on Mike & Mike.

This is ridiculously dumb. Not spending a penny on it.

My hope is, although I am a boxing purist, I want McGregor to sneak one in and floor the bastard. It won't happen, but if it did, so much the better.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 11:26:43 AM »
Not buying the fight. This is stupid. And what's even more dumb is that the fight actually counts toward Mayweather's record. I didn't realize that. So, he would go 50-0, even though he is fighting what is basically an amateur boxer. And, he'll surpass Rocky Marciano when he does. I didn't know that until this morning when I heard it on Mike & Mike.

Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their ass. That's their one, that's their one. Rocky Marciano. Rocky Marciano. Let me tell you something once and for all. Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't shi!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
We don't have an Eddie Murphy emoticon, so I have nothing to add.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 11:33:09 AM »

This.  I don't follow boxing or UFC so my interest is already pretty low.  But I'd have more interest if this were a more even match.  Considering the Vegas odds on this, I don't see how this is interesting at all.

My buddy invited everyone over to watch, I'd go if he didn't live an hour away just to socialize, but I'm likely not going to go.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:20 AM »
I'll be watching it tomorrow. I'm not a big fan of either sport, really, but I want to see McGregor get knocked the fuck out. Neither fighter has a ton of class, but I can't stand the mouth on McGregor.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
I think McGregor is a good dude, he just likes to take the heel role in fights.

Mayweather on the other hand lives his life as a heel :lol

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
I'll be watching it tomorrow. I'm not a big fan of either sport, really, but I want to see McGregor get knocked the fuck out. Neither fighter has a ton of class, but I can't stand the mouth on McGregor.

Do you think that'll happen? Floyd isn't a guy who is known to knock people out, his strength is his defense. Plus Conor can definitely take a beating...

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »

Do you think that'll happen? Floyd isn't a guy who is known to knock people out, his strength is his defense. Plus Conor can definitely take a beating...

TKO is the likely outcome, IMO. I agree that his 'specialty' is defense, but he's still so far out of McGregor's league when it comes to boxing form that I think he'll easily win by TKO. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Plus Conor can definitely take a beating...

From the few fights I've seen, he's also a really good striker and has won plenty of his fights with his hands.  Not sure why some aren't giving him a fighting chance, other than just writing him off and not giving him a chance since he isn't a traditional boxer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
TKO is the likely outcome, IMO. I agree that his 'specialty' is defense, but he's still so far out of McGregor's league when it comes to boxing form that I think he'll easily win by TKO.

Gotcha, it's just such a weird fight it's kinda hard for me to guess how it'll go down exactly.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
Plus Conor can definitely take a beating...

From the few fights I've seen, he's also a really good striker and has won plenty of his fights with his hands.  Not sure why some aren't giving him a fighting chance, other than just writing him off and not giving him a chance since he isn't a traditional boxer.

MMA fights are honestly easier to land strikes, and to generally get closer to your opponent, than in boxing fights. No clutching in boxing means you need to actually catch your opponent off guard to land a strike. Can McGregor throw a good punch? Or course. Can he land one against a legend moving on his feet? Probably not. Also, let's consider that McGregor splits his training time on several disciplines (necessary to compete in the UFC), so I wouldn't expect him to compete against someone who specializes in one discipline. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 08:49:35 PM »
This fight has inconvenienced Herrick. I've been watching all the old UFC fights on UFC Fight Pass but the servers are overloaded from everyone watching the Mayweather McGregor fight. So I'm just gonna watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles instead.

I'm not familiar with McGregor. I stopped watching UFC years ago because I wasn't interested enough to keep up with the sport. No way I was gonna pay big money to watch these fights. I used to rent the DVDs from Blockbuster. I got up to the Georges St. Pierre, Andei Orlovski, Chuck Liddell, and Matt Hughes era.

So McGregor is a douche like Mayweather? I don't care who wins if that's the case. I don't like shit-talkin' fighters.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 10:03:30 PM »
The PPV feed has only flickered a couple times, so it's been mostly smooth sailing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 10:11:58 PM »
Herrick, have you've been on a cave?  You haven't heard of McGregor?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 10:13:50 PM »
Here we go. ..

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 10:18:15 PM »
For a second I thought Scorpion from Mortal Kombat was coming out to fight.

ROUND 1: 10-9 for McGregor. Floyd taking his time reading him.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 10:33:17 PM »
I'd say McGregor is up through 5