Author Topic: in-ground pool help  (Read 809 times)

Offline gabeh1018

in-ground pool help
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
I live in central jersey. Last year, my wife and I built an in-ground pool, deck etc.
We are currently in the market for a gas heater, electric heat pump or solar cover/blanket so on and so forth...
Does anyone have any recommendations or knowledge they can throw my way? It would be greatly appreciated. My real question is, does anyone here  have any experience with solar covers and do they even work?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: in-ground pool help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
I put in an in ground pool 2 yrs ago.  I am familiar with the various type of heaters, and will post more tonight.

Solar covers mostly prevent loss of heat through evaporation at night and don't really great much heat during the day.  Couple degrees max.  I don't even use one because they are a pain to roll up and out all the time, and I like to look at my water, not plastic
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:45:12 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »
We have a pure solar heater, where the pool pump sends the water up to the solar panels on the rooftop where it gets heated, and then comes back down into the pump and back into the pool.  It works REALLY well.  Sometimes during the really hot months, we have to turn it off to keep the water from getting too warm. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:13:31 PM »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
I'll touch on the solar panel. We used to have an in-ground pool before tearing it out to put a fire pit in its place. We didn't use a solar panel for similar reasons that Eric doesn't. They were a bitch to roll up and in our case and pool location, frogs would hide and die in panel when rolled up, pine needles got stuck in them--it was a mess.

A little side anecdote. The pool at our house was installed when the house was built in 1985. For some odd reason, they landscaped it in such a way that it was surrounded by prickly bushes on the shallow end. I'm not sure what kind of bushes they were, but when the wind blew, these prickly thorns would fall into the shallow end and whenever you walked in the shallow end, they would stick in your feet. If you were throwing a ball around in the pool and it went into those bushes. Good luck... I don't know why it took us three years after moving in to get rid of them.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 02:18:41 PM »
One issue is location.  Electric Heat pumps won't work when outside temperatures get too low.  Neither will solar.  Gas heats the pool up FAST and cam be used year round.  We already had gas at our house so it was an easy install.  It raises the ten 2-3 degrees an hour.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »
Part curiosity and part my natural tendency to be a butthead, but do you guys actually swim in the winter? I've always wondered about this. If it's too cold to swim it's too cold to walk back from the damn pool, I reckon. A hot tub is a different story, as those things are worth it. Just to goof around in the pool, though, never made much sense to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »
Part curiosity and part my natural tendency to be a butthead, but do you guys actually swim in the winter? I've always wondered about this. If it's too cold to swim it's too cold to walk back from the damn pool, I reckon. A hot tub is a different story, as those things are worth it. Just to goof around in the pool, though, never made much sense to me.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale, so yes we swim year round.  Salt water pool too.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29