Author Topic: I feel like I made a pretty good argument about the Confederate flag.  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: I feel like I made a pretty good argument about the Confederate flag.
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2017, 09:44:35 AM »
Stadler I'm really at my wit's end (wich is not saying much I know), there's just a fundemental disconnect with how you view the position of someone like me (and me regarding you).    I don't think offended is some sort of over arching right that tops everything else,  I don't want to reprogram anyone.  I'm just looking for some empathy and you never seem willing to even entertain that prospect, or again It's me who can't understand.

I'm just tired of you mis-representing all these issues but I don't know how to communicate this to you and I don't seem to understand you either.    :sad:

edit:  just to be clear I don't mean empathy for me personally because who cares.  I mean in all the different issues and situations that are discussed.

But we're not talking about "empathy".  I'm actually an EXTREMELY empathetic person.  To a fault at times.  But I can and do separate that from the infrastructure - for lack of a better word - of things.    "Empathy" is a wholly subjective thing, and we cannot legislate based on "empathy".  It can infuse those positions we ultimately - for other reasons - take, but it can't be the impetus for taking them.   But in a day-to-day moment, independent of the legalities and the general politics of things, empathy plays a large part in how I interact with the world.  Ask anyone here that's met me; no politics, no large moral positionings, just an abiding sense of... community for lack of a better word. 

If we want to start a thread that is purely about the "empathy" angle, I'm in.  You might be surprised.