Author Topic: The Reason for moving the CD release day.  (Read 2880 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
The Reason for moving the CD release day.
« on: August 18, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
So, here I am driving 20 minutes to get the new Steven Wilson CD.  I started to reminisce getting different CD's on  Tuesdays.  My cousin and I walking through a snowstorm (School closed of course!) to get to a bus to go to the mall to get Yes, Drama.  A half day of school, walking 2 miles to get Styx, Caught In The Act Live only to get to my gym locker later for baseball practice to see my buddies ransacked my locker and fill it with shaving cream.

So I wondered, "Why did they move it to Fridays?

It occurred to me the decline in music sales made the music industry get creative. People get their checks on Thursday or Friday.  People blow their money right away!  So when Tuesday rolled by maybe they lost a sale.  You know, the impulse buy.  I'm not sure if it was ever discussed here but that was my thought.  Any other theories out there?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Reason for moving the CD release day.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »
Not sure.  I was just coming to post that friends don't let friends listen to Steven Wilson.  Come on, man.  You're better than that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »
 :lol

Sorry your Royal Boskness, I love Steven Wilson.  I'll make it up to you, I'm seeing The Neal Morse Band on Wednesday, Haken next Sunday and the Wednesday after that, comedian Bill Burr.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/07/10/421483599/goodbye-music-tuesday-starting-today-albums-come-out-on-friday

main reason seems to be to try and reduce piracy

i mean, it's a stupid reason & i highly doubt it fixed anything, but

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »
I'm sure it made a small difference. With the internet, having different release dates in different countries doesn't make any sense.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/07/10/421483599/goodbye-music-tuesday-starting-today-albums-come-out-on-friday

That's a weird reason to move the release day.

I'm sure it made a small difference. With the internet, having different release dates in different countries doesn't make any sense.

Exactly what I was thinking after reading Parama's link.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 03:50:43 PM »

Interesting, and I think I recall reading about this at one point in time.

Part of me felt like it was also to avoid having to compete with the similarly-dwindling home video market, known commonly as "DVD Tuesday" or "DVDuesday" or what have you. Film releases have conquered the Tuesday market, so maybe record companies felt that the often-pirated music albums would get a better chance at people's wallets if they were released on Fridays instead?

Fridays are also a major payday for many folks, so those who are willing to spare money for a physical album (or even digital) might be more willing to do so on payday? I also thought that maybe Fridays were a good day for new albums to be delivered.

If pre-orders were shipped earlier in the week, they'd be more likely to arrive by Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, just in time for release day, where as albums released on Tuesdays might not get there until later that day or Wednesday depending on when the album was shipped and where it was going.

Whatever reasons there are, it's a bit trivial in this time of piracy and leaks, but for those of us who continue to support the industries we enjoy (music, film, etc.), buying the product is always a pleasure, no matter what day it is.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
I think the reasons King gave pretty much make sense.  It's all about the money and making product more accessible to the consumer.

As far as Steven Wilson goes, I'll have to give him whirl because if Bosk doesn't like it, there's a good chance I will.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »
As far as Steven Wilson goes, I'll have to give him whirl because if Bosk doesn't like it, there's a good chance I will.   :lol

He'll likely be your favorite artist by Monday then.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »
I'm with Bosk.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
I may have to reconsider my position.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 04:26:10 PM »
Go ahead.

I dare you!

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
This thread is giving me dry heaves.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 04:28:59 PM »
Finally.  It worked

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
It is nice to start the weekend off with new music, though.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »
It is nice to start the weekend off with new music, though.  :metal

I concur.  I think, in theory, it would be a great feeling knowing that I'm finished with the work week, head down to Best Buy, buy a new album of one of my favorite bands and start the weekend like that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 08:11:59 PM »
So, here I am driving 20 minutes to get the new Steven Wilson CD.  I started to reminisce getting different CD's on  Tuesdays.  My cousin and I walking through a snowstorm (School closed of course!) to get to a bus to go to the mall to get Yes, Drama.  A half day of school, walking 2 miles to get Styx, Caught In The Act Live only to get to my gym locker later for baseball practice to see my buddies ransacked my locker and fill it with shaving cream.

It occurred to me the decline in music sales made the music industry get creative. People get their checks on Thursday or Friday.  People blow their money right away!  So when Tuesday rolled by maybe they lost a sale.  You know, the impulse buy.  I'm not sure if it was ever discussed here but that was my thought.  Any other theories out there?

Back in the 90s, I would sometimes take the afternoon off work so I could go buy a new CD at Best Buy and then listen to it the rest of the day without the distraction of work.  I know I did that with Counterparts, Awake, Test for Echo, Falling into Infinity, Scenes from a Memory.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »
As far as I can tell some stores (at least the one I go to) put them out when the they got their delivery to take advantage of weekend sales over the last 15 years or so when you just be able to just download it. 

There used to be penalties for breaking street date but if you got to know the store employees they might look the other way. It seems that's become less important. I don't know if Friday release dates are just defacto at this point or they have become official.

I think the last new release CD I was motivated to drive out to a record store on or before that day was R40.

Of course the two decent independent record stores left around here are an hour away so that figures into it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
As far as I can tell some stores (at least the one I go to) put them out when the they got their delivery to take advantage of weekend sales over the last 15 years or so when you just be able to just download it. 

There used to be penalties for breaking street date but if you got to know the store employees they might look the other way. It seems that's become less important. I don't know if Friday release dates are just defacto at this point or they have become official.

I think the last new release CD I was motivated to drive out to a record store on or before that day was R40.

Of course the two decent independent record stores left around here are an hour away so that figures into it.
Word on that; there was a record store at UConn that was like that (I got to know a girl there, and I would get it when the store did as "long as I don't tell anyone", and then later, there was a store in New Haven, right upstairs from Cutler's (the famous store in New Haven) and the guy there - Maury - would sometimes let us have something early too.

Nowadays?  Just order it online.  Less personal, but so be it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 04:40:03 PM »
I have to travel 45 minutes to get to a local, independent record store.  Worth it.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 06:18:51 AM »
I love the fact that albums get released on the same day, all over the world. We don't have this problem with spoilers now. We all get it on the same day.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »
I have to travel 45 minutes to get to a local, independent record store.  Worth it.

It's worth it to go, I just don't need to be there any specific time for a new release anymore. Usually make a day of it now.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
I love the fact that albums get released on the same day, all over the world. We don't have this problem with spoilers now. We all get it on the same day.

Well, you still have issues of spoilers, since some people decided to leak the albums a few weeks before the official date, which does stir up quite a bit of controversy among music forums whether to discuss it now or wait until the release date to discuss it.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »

Back in the 90s, I would sometimes take the afternoon off work so I could go buy a new CD at Best Buy and then listen to it the rest of the day without the distraction of work.  I know I did that with Counterparts, Awake, Test for Echo, Falling into Infinity, Scenes from a Memory.

I took the day off to listen to The Astonishing on release day. I think it actually took all day!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »

I took the day off to listen to The Astonishing on release day. I think it actually took all day!

No, it just seemed like it.  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »

Well, you still have issues of spoilers, since some people decided to leak the albums a few weeks before the official date, which does stir up quite a bit of controversy among music forums whether to discuss it now or wait until the release date to discuss it.

Honest question:   are spoilers that big a deal?  I'm not one to care how long songs are (I remember when Flying Colors came out, everyone was all "the first song is going to be AWESOME! So is the last song!" and while they're good, neither one is in my top three on the album.  Who cares how long a song is???   So what do you get from a release that you haven't actual heard?   I remember the guys at "Used Bin Radio" raving over the Glen Campbell record "Ghost on the Canvas", talking about it, reviewing it, pimping it... and for various reasons I finally got to hear the whole thing through about a year ago, and it delivered on it's own merits.  Nothing that was said before really impacted what I thought of it.   

My two cents. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
I listen to samples but stay away from listening. A little self control.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
I listen to samples but stay away from listening. A little self control.

These days the first time I hear any new music is when I pop it in the CD player. (Anything else doesn't hold much value for me. Well, vinyl in select cases does I guess.)