Author Topic: Majesty Interview - Guess the Quote  (Read 1700 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Majesty Interview - Guess the Quote
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:15:39 AM »
After recently rereading an piece on Majesty that ran in the April 1989 issue of Power Metal magazine, i thought it might be fun if the good folks at DTF could correctly match the article's quotes to the DT band member that said it.

These are actual quotes from the magazine article titled: "Metal Mad:  Music School Grads Join Forces to Create Cerebral Metal Unit."  Can you identify the band member?  Good luck!

A.       "It was great being in the studio for the first time.  After studying music theory for so long, it was wonderful to get away from the technical side of music and just play what was in our hearts.  We're real anxious to send a copy of the album to our teachers to know what they think of it.  I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them didn't have heart attacks when they hear it."

B.        "There have always been bands in rock who've tried to push the boundaries of the form, and that's what Majesty is doing now.  All I can say is that if fans like their music heavy but with a lot of imagination and feeling, then Majesty is the band for you."

C.         "If someone came up to me and said 'I'll give you a million dollars to record a three-chord pop song', I admit I'd be tempted, but I don't think I'd do it."

I'm not sure of other examples of DT appearing in a U.S. publication under its original name Majesty, but this is certainly an early interview.  Even though the magazine is dated April 1989, the issue probably hit the stands late Jan/Feb, as was the trend at the time. 

Offline Mladen

Re: Majesty Interview - Guess the Quote
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:59:30 AM »
I'll try.  :)

A. is Kevin Moore

B. is Charlie Dominici

C. is Mike Portnoy

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 05:09:39 AM »
My guess:

A. Mike Portnoy
B. John Petrucci
C. Charlie Dominicci
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 09:34:13 AM »
A. John Petrucci

B. Charlie Dominici

C. Mike Portnoy
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 10:37:16 AM »
MP
JP
JM
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 11:32:57 AM »
Mladen you got one correct.

Sorry, IDontNotDoThings, Robo4900 and AngelBack, you're 0 for 3.

Depending on responses, and to give others a chance to guess, I'll probably reveal the answers sometime tonight. I admit they may be somewhat surprising.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »
C is MP. Think about it, he was willing to give up DT to follow the money with Avenged Sevenfold

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
A) Moore
B) Portnoy
C) Petrucci
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
A) Moore
B) Portnoy
C) Petrucci

Exactly what I was about to post.  ;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
A. MP
B. JP
C. JM

Cool idea for a thread  :yarr

(although I just saw the hints so I know I am wrong, but those were my original guesses)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »
Are we assuming they're all different people?

Because let's go off hints. Me, Robo & AngelBack got all 3 wrong, & Mladen got 1 right. Robo & Mladen gave the exact same answers except A, which has to mean that Mladen got A correct & Robo didn't. So A has to be KM.

Then if we eliminate some possibilites, C can't be CD, JM, MP, or (if we're assuming they're all different people) KM. That means that the only option left for C is JP. So C has to be JP.

Then our only options left for B would be CD, JM or MP. Robo said that B was CD & got all 3 wrong, so that means that B is either JM or MP. Given that MP is (was) one of the most vocal members of the group & JM is one of the least, that means B is probably MP (but it could be JM).

tl;dr ToT-147 was probably right

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 09:32:59 PM »
Are we assuming they're all different people?

Because let's go off hints. Me, Robo & AngelBack got all 3 wrong, & Mladen got 1 right. Robo & Mladen gave the exact same answers except A, which has to mean that Mladen got A correct & Robo didn't. So A has to be KM.

Then if we eliminate some possibilites, C can't be CD, JM, MP, or (if we're assuming they're all different people) KM. That means that the only option left for C is JP. So C has to be JP.

Then our only options left for B would be CD, JM or MP. Robo said that B was CD & got all 3 wrong, so that means that B is either JM or MP. Given that MP is (was) one of the most vocal members of the group & JM is one of the least, that means B is probably MP (but it could be JM).

tl;dr ToT-147 was probably right

tbh, that's how I thought it too, and that's why I answered like that.. ;D
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 01:46:02 PM »
Each quote is by a different band member.

Oh, and a correction:  Mladen and Robo4900 each have one correct! 

Apologies for the oversight, but despite this IDontNotDoThings still figured out one of them correctly.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 05:01:05 PM »
A. Moore
B. Dominici
C. Petrucci

;D

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 05:22:02 PM »
Renzo hits 2 out of 3!!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 07:05:59 PM »
This may seem like a weird guess but here's my reasoning:
A) Since me & AngelBack got them all wrong, none of the answers can be what we said, so A can't be MP. Since Mladen & Robo both got one right, it has to be one of the ones they said the same, so they either got B or C right, so they got A wrong. So A also can't be KM or JP. This leaves only CD or JM, we'll come back to this.

B) Since I got one right on the second guess & I guess A as KM. That means I also got one of either B or C right, which means that Mladen & Robo got B or C right & I got the one right that they got wrong. For B, they said CD while I said MP, so it has to be one of those. Again, we'll come back to this.

C) Same logic again, they guessed MP while I guessed JP, so it's one of those. If Robo/Mladen got C correct in saying it was MP, then my answer as MP for B would have to be correct. This can't be right because every quote is from a different band member, so C has to be JP.

B) So then if I only got one right on my second guess, that means I got A & B wrong, meaning B also can't be MP, so B has to then be CD.

A) So then if B is CD, A can't be CD either because again, every quote was from a different person. So then by process of elimination, A has to be JM.

Therefore:
A. John Myung
B. Charlie Dominici
C. John Petrucci

(Edit: This also fits Renzo getting 2/3)
(Edit 2: Shortened the explanation slightly to make it more readable)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:10:22 AM by IDontNotDoThings »

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
This may seem like a weird guess but here's my reasoning:
A) Since me & AngelBack got them all wrong, none of the answers can be what we said, so A can't be MP. Since Mladen & Robo both got one right, it has to be one of the ones they said the same, so they either got B or C right, so they got A wrong. So A also can't be KM or JP. This leaves only CD or JM, we'll come back to this.

B) Since I got one right on the second guess & I guess A as KM. That means I also got one of either B or C right, which means that Mladen & Robo got B or C right & I got the one right that they got wrong. For B, they said CD while I said MP, so it has to be one of those. Again, we'll come back to this.

C) Same logic again, they guessed MP while I guessed JP, so it's one of those. If Robo/Mladen got C correct in saying it was MP, then my answer as MP for B would have to be correct. This can't be right because every quote is from a different band member, so C has to be JP.

B) So then if I only got one right on my second guess, that means I got A & B wrong, meaning B also can't be MP, so B has to then be CD.

A) So then if B is CD, A can't be CD either because again, every quote was from a different person. So then by process of elimination, A has to be JM.

Therefore:
A. John Myung
B. Charlie Dominici
C. John Petrucci

(Edit: This also fits Renzo getting 2/3)
(Edit 2: Shortened the explanation slightly to make it more readable)

Bingo! Winner, winner winner!  100% correct.  The answers are:

A.  JOHN MYUNG
B.  CHARLIE DOMINICI
C.  JOHN PETRUCCI

Good job and great deductive reasoning, IDontNotDoThings!! 

It still find it oddly amusing that JM joked that his Berklee teachers might have a heart attack after listening to "When Dream and Day Unite."  It seems so uncharacteristic and braggardly for JM, but, hey, we were all young and obnoxious once.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:37:40 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »
I'm tempted to show the article to JP at a meet and & greet and ask him what 3 chords he would use in a hypothetical million dollar 3 chord pop song.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
I'm tempted to show the article to JP at a meet and & greet and ask him what 3 chords he would use in a hypothetical million dollar 3 chord pop song.

Speculation:
A. Alex Lifeson chord
B. Hendrix chord
C. D sharp minor with a major seventh

;D