Author Topic: Netflix's Atypical  (Read 225 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Netflix's Atypical
« on: August 16, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
Anyone catch this new show yet? It's a quick first season watch with only 8 episodes. I didn't want to watch it initially, but am happy that I did. It was absolutely hysterical.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Netflix's Atypical
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:52:59 AM »
Nope. What's the premise?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »

In a nutshell; An autistic kid, who's towards the better part of the spectrum, wants a girlfriend and ends up getting the hots for his therapist. There's other stuff too, but that's a main element. It's really funny and done in taste. It's in no way disrespectful to people with autism and their families.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:19 AM »

In a nutshell; An autistic kid, who's towards the better part of the spectrum, wants a girlfriend and ends up getting the hots for his therapist. There's other stuff too, but that's a main element. It's really funny and done in taste. It's in no way disrespectful to people with autism and their families.

I'll have to check it out. My wife and I have been looking for a show to watch together being that we don't share the same tastes it's difficult to find one. But, she's a Special School Teacher and the majority of the kids she teaches have Autism....so that show sounds like something we could watch together.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »
Watched the first two episodes with my wife tonight. Really cool show. My wife was crying at parts because of how accurately they depict autism and she was getting sad thinking of some of her former and current students. But all in all she likes the show

Oh and, that red head in the first episode was smoking hot!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
Just started this. Usually I need to watch a few episodes of a show to really get into it, but I really got into this from the first episode. Love it. :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
Enjoying this show. We only have a couple episodes left to go (my wife's NETFLIX binge watching stamina is nowhere near my professional level  :lol) and it's been a good watch. Thanks for the heads up on this one Brian as I would have never thought to watch it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
Enjoying this show. We only have a couple episodes left to go (my wife's NETFLIX binge watching stamina is nowhere near my professional level  :lol) and it's been a good watch. Thanks for the heads up on this one Brian as I would have never thought to watch it.

Glad you're liking it. I was hell bent on not watching it originally. I think I said something to Victoria along the lines of "I don't feel like watching something that's just going to be depressing while shoving spectrum narratives down my throat" (douchey, I know), but I gave in eventually.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »
It's alright, I might continue it as a boredom killer one day but it's pretty cheesy at times. It's also pretty funny at times and has some good drama going on but somewhere in there is a bit of overplayed and overacted (or underacted with some of the secondary characters) moments that are a bit too annoying to me to overlook.

The whole spectrum shtick is secondary to me. I've taught and taken care of kids from completely reliant on others' care to kids that had Aspergers and unless you knew, you wouldn't know otherwise. It's so varying in how people act. That said, the way society tip toes around the subject as if walking on glass really bugs the fucking hell out of me. So many people think they're being nice when really they're being oversensitive pantywaists. Niceties and empty platitudes that only serve the people around said "person with autism", not the person who is afflicted. That whole aspect of the show...really annoying. Thankfully, it doesn't seem too forced. But it is there nonetheless.

Otherwise, okay comedy and okay drama. Nothing special or noteworthy at all. But again, a good boredom killer one day.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
I agree it's nothing groundbreaking or addiction inducing to watch....but for me it's just neat because it's actually something my wife and I are watching together. We share near zero tastes or interests in movies or shows so I typically watch most of the things I watch alone so it's been nice to have a viewing partner.  :lol