Author Topic: (Not-so) Guilty Pleasure  (Read 2946 times)

Offline cfmoran13

(Not-so) Guilty Pleasure
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »
So, I hesitated to call this thread "Guilty Pleasure" because, if you like an artist and enjoy the music, there's no reason to feel guilty about it.  But, who is the one artist you can think of to whom you really enjoy listening but really sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of your listening catalog?

Mine is Rick Springfield.  Being a child of the 80's, I grew up with all that kinda stuff.  Obviously, he doesn't fit in with DT, KISS, Metallica, Testament, etc.  But, I still find myself playing a playlist of 3-4 albums (1976-1983) of his every few weeks while at work.  I know some/most would probably disagree with this statement.  However, some of his stuff can rock out, I guess as much as that type of early 80's music can.

Who's next?

Offline LordCost

Re: (Not-so) Guilty Pleasure
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »
Limp Bizkit. I like all their albums musically, apart Results May Vary which I only remember few songs from, and I get that the lyrics are ridicolously stupid (In the Chocolate Starfish album in particular). But I'm not a native English speaker, and it's still fun when I get what the singer is saying.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »
Well, as a guy that grew up on modern rock bands like Alter Bridge, Foo Fighters, Sixx: A.M., Breaking Benjamin, etc. and dabble into certain prog and metal bands like Rush, Iron Maiden, and DT, I think the two band/artist that not a lot of people expect me to hear and like is Zac Brown Band and Ed Sheeran.

I enjoy the songs and albums that Zac Brown Band does and they do more than just be a typical country band.  They do covers of all kinds of acts like Bob Marley to Beatles to Metallica to RHCP and everything in between and does jams in their live shows, and have some strong instrumental sections in their songs.  One of the big allures of them to me is their harmonizing.  They have some strong harmonies in the vocals in the song that makes it really hard to not sing along.

As for Ed Sheeran, some of the singles are really not for me like Don't and Shape of You (especially Shape of You, hate that song), but he's got some pretty good ballads and good acoustic songs and some good pop songs and has a good aura.  Out of all the "pop stars" in the music industry, he's probably the only one I like.  All the other pop stars out there like Beibs, Beyonce, Swift, Adele, Lady Gaga, etc.  I just don't care about them or their music.  Ed Sheeran, though, he's got a good aura and made some good songs and I'm glad there is a guy like him that is as big as he is.

So yeah, guys like Ed Sheeran and Zac Brown Band, I wouldn't care much about their contemporaries in either country or modern pop, but if those guys make albums, I'll listen to it and I'm sure to enjoy it.  Heck, both acts released albums this year, and I rated both of them pretty highly.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:35:08 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:24:47 PM »
I love Blondie!!

The three album run of Plastic Letters-Parallel Lines-Eat To The Beat is amazing.

Especially Eat To The Beat. One of my favorite albums of all time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »
Eminem. His rhythms are complex, his rhymes are catchy, he's one of the greatest diss artists ever, and his crude lyrics are so tongue-in-cheek that I can't be grossed out by them unlike with most hip hop artists who come off as genuinely despicable people. 
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »
Yacht Rock

10cc
Little River Band
Poco
America
Kenny Loggins
Christopher Cross
Jerry Rafferty
Orleans
Seals & Drift

Ect...

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »
Celtic Woman.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »
Lol. Croft.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 06:11:08 AM »
Probably Beiber (and a handful of songs by Christina Aguilera, Demi Lovato, and One Direction).  I just like a good song, with at good melody, and "U Smile" is just a great song. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »
I feel we had this thread before.

But mine is Spice Girls.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 09:35:26 AM »
Rod Stewart.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »
 Weird Al,  The guy is so clever and kind of created his own genre that only he can get away with. Plus he can actually sing and he has a good band backing him up. Seen him live on the Running With Scissors tour.. Awesome!.
 Another one is BOSTON. They have such a great sound even with their new singer. Seen them live last summer and several times in the past and they were excellent! They have a hidden gem too, it's an album called Walk On.   I'm surprised they don't get more love here at DT forums, As they are great musicians. I started a thread about them a while back and it faded away into the wayside quickly..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 11:51:28 AM »
I love Blondie!!

Rod Stewart.

Just heard Do Ya Think I'm Sexy on the radio this morning.  FWIW, I love his unplugged album.

There's a handful of Celine Dion songs that I dig the fuck out of.  Helps that Steinman wrote one of them, and another is a cover.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 11:57:50 AM »
I love Blondie!!

Rod Stewart.

Just heard Do Ya Think I'm Sexy on the radio this morning.  FWIW, I love his unplugged album.

There's a handful of Celine Dion songs that I dig the fuck out of.  Helps that Steinman wrote one of them, and another is a cover.

If it's Alone, I won't be able to take you seriously anymore.

For me, I also like some Celine Dion, and a couple Taylor Swift albums. None of her Country stuff though. I guess Ellie Goulding and Chvrches as well. Definitely different from my normal musical preferences as I've always prefered mainly Rock and Metal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »
I love Blondie!!

Totally serious. Eat To The Beat was an HM on The TAC Top 50.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
Love Rick Springfield, most of his records are good rockers, nothing wrong with that.

For me I can add maybe Nik Kershaw and Level 42.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 01:50:37 PM »
Blondie is AWESOME.   I just saw a video of them live, and they still kill it.  Debbie Harry is 70 and she still looks great; almost still hot (at 70!!!!).

1989 is almost the perfect pop album.  That will go down as this generations' Thriller, I promise you.

Another good one:  Loverboy.  I found a greatest hits in my wife's CDs.  Apparently it was her ex's.  I played it, and first, I couldn't believe how many of the songs I knew (even the ones I didn't realize were Loverboy) and second, how strong some of those songs really are.    Horrible band name, though.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »

It is not.  River Deep, Mountain High baby!

Speaking of Top 50's, No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom made the jingle.boy top 50.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
Another good one:  Loverboy.  I found a greatest hits in my wife's CDs.  Apparently it was her ex's.  I played it, and first, I couldn't believe how many of the songs I knew (even the ones I didn't realize were Loverboy) and second, how strong some of those songs really are.    Horrible band name, though.
I was listening to an episode of the Classic Metal Show podcast and they were talking about Loverboy.  One of the co-hosts said he could never get into them because Mike Reno always sounded like he was on the verge of crying.  Never really bothered me.  But, it's kinda true.  They were playing their 2012 album of re-recordings they did of their classic songs.  If you're going to re-record your own songs, you shouldn't wait 30 years to do so.  Not a good idea.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 02:59:10 PM »

It is not.  River Deep, Mountain High baby!

Speaking of Top 50's, No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom made the jingle.boy top 50.

That is a fantastic album.  I wish they would go back to a rocking style like this album. 

Chad, I saw them on this tour with Weezer.  What a great show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »
Love Rick Springfield, most of his records are good rockers, nothing wrong with that.

I was a big fan of Side 1 of his Rock of Life album at the time and listened to the cassette a ton, but I found that it didn't age well (although I still like the title track a lot).

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 09:44:28 PM »
I like some 70's and 80's pop stuff. Not entire catalogues, but some hits here and there by a few people/bands.

Boz Scaggs - Lido Shuffle and Low Down

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

Steve Winwood had a couple of really cool pop hits in the 80's, and I usually can't stand anything from Eagles, but The End of the Innocence, Sunset Grill and The Boys of Summer by Don Henley are some of the greatest pop songs ever written.

I've also been a fan of Lizzy Borden since I was a teen in the 80's. He's kind of a poor man's version of Alice Cooper, and there's some cringe-worthy songs here and there, but there's some great music there as well. Rod of Iron, Ultra Violence, Visions and most of the Master of Disguise album are the highlights for me.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 09:47:26 PM »

I don't care what anybody says...that song is great.  :hat

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 09:51:48 PM »
Not really any guilt involved in real life, but considering the DTF crowd's tastes:

Paramore
John Mayer

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
Alabama
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 12:18:42 AM »

I agree with this. Love that sax.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 05:39:02 AM »

One of my favorite songs of all time.   I'm not sure though that Gerry Rafferty should be anyone's guilty pleasure, though.  He had a pretty significant and respected career, both solo and with Steeler's Wheel.  We're not talking about David Hasselhoff here. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 05:51:01 AM »

I was a big fan of Side 1 of his Rock of Life album at the time and listened to the cassette a ton, but I found that it didn't age well (although I still like the title track a lot).

Working Class Dog, Success Hans't Spoiled Me Yet and Living In Oz are all classic mainstream rock records. Rock Of Life and Tao are more rooted in the 80s and sound a bit dated, but I still like them.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »

One of my favorite songs of all time.   I'm not sure though that Gerry Rafferty should be anyone's guilty pleasure, though.  He had a pretty significant and respected career, both solo and with Steeler's Wheel.  We're not talking about David Hasselhoff here.

Quite true, but he's someone that you rarely hear being mentioned anymore. I thought that he would someone that's off the beaten track, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see other people here that feel the same as me about the song.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 09:03:06 PM »
None.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 07:15:16 AM »
Meat Loaf  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 07:18:21 AM »
It's All Coming Back To Me Now? That's a cover too.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »
2 words

careless whisper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws

I hear/hear about Hore-Hay Miguel nearly every week from my obsessed with George Michael-wife. That song is great, although he has a lot of others both with Wham and on his own. Freedom'90 and Monkey, while also were huge hits, I probably prefer more so.