Poll

Please crown a 3rd place song and a LEAGUE CHAMPION!

1. Celestial Elixir
9 (29%)
2. Falling Back to Earth
6 (19.4%)
--- NEXT MATCH BELOW ---
0 (0%)
3. The Architect
8 (25.8%)
5. Pareidolia
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: August 16, 2017, 01:04:22 PM

Author Topic: HAken the League - CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH (and 3rd place match)  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
HAken the League - CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH (and 3rd place match)
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
Haken the League – Championship Tournament
Seeds
1. Celestial Elixir
2. Falling Back to Earth
3. The Architect
4. Visions
5. Pareidolia
6. Aquarium
7. The Endless Knot
8. 1985
9. Cockroach King
10. Initiate
11. Crystallised
12. Drowning in the Flood
13. Streams
14. In Memoriam
15. Atlas Stone
16. Earthrise

Opening Round
1. Celestial Elixir defeats 16. Earthrise 12-2
9. Cockroach King defeats  8. 1985 8-7  (I broke the tie)
5. Pareidolia defeats 12. Drowning in the Flood 11-3
13. Streams defeats 4. Visions 8-5
3. The Architect defeats 14. In Memoriam 11-3
6. Aquarium defeats 11. Crystallised 8-6 
7. The Endless Knot defeats 10. Initiate 8-5
2. Falling Back to Earth defeats 15. Atlas Stone 13-1

Quarterfinals
1. Celestial Elixir defeats 9. Cockroach King 12-7
5. Pareidolia defeats 13. Streams 14-5
3. The Architect defeats 6. Aquarium 11-7
2. Falling Back to Earth defeats 7. The Endless Knot 10-9 

Semifinals
5. Pareidolia defeats 1. Celestial Elixir 8-7 (I Broke the Tie)
3. The Architect defeats Falling Back to Earth 8-5

3rd Place Match
Please vote for the song that you’d like to see win this match

1.   Celestial Elixir vs. 2. Falling Back to Earth

Haken - The League  Championship Match

Please crown the 1st ever Haken – The League Champion!

3.  The Architect vs. 5. Pareidolia

48 hours to vote

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: HAken the League - CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH (and 3rd place match)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »
Can't believe CE against FBTE is the third place match. That should've been the championship match.

Celestial Elixir

Pareidolia
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
Falling Back To Earth and The Architect of course. I started to appreciate Affinity more than I used to since yesterday...I give it a solid listen from start to the end and it clicked :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:47:57 PM »
DoC is the worst tiebreaker in history  :corn
I agree with ev, switch the third place and championship rounds

CE and Pareidolia, anyways

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »

Indeed. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »
I agree with ev, switch the third place and championship rounds

CE and Pareidolia, anyways

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »

Indeed. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
:hefdaddy: Falling Back to Earth and The Architect  - these are actually my favorite Haken's songs..

I said it back then and say it again...

Ok, so here we go.. :lol :hat
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 12:59:57 AM »
the architect winning the entire league would be the dumbest possible outcome as it's by far, BY FAR, the weakest of the four tracks here

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 05:33:40 AM »
the architect winning the entire league would be the dumbest possible outcome as it's by far, BY FAR, the weakest of the four tracks here

x1000

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 06:07:57 AM »
Yup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »

I agree.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »
As far as I can remember, if the Architect wins, this will be the first time that my favorite song has ever won a survivor or league on this forum. Totally happy with how this has all played out. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
doc you have broken like every tie badly and are cheering the worst result, we can't be friends  :corn

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
doc you have broken like every tie badly and are cheering the worst result, we can't be friends  :corn

I'm cheering the best result, as The Architect is heads and shoulders above anything that they've ever done at just about every standpoint.

And honestly, I didn't expect to be in a position to break such important ties, but apparently the voting base was split on a few of these.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 12:18:13 PM »
it's got the problem a ton of epics do where it has some great moments but the song feels like a patchwork of ideas rather than a cohesive whole & there's a fair amount of filler that could've been cut (that mid section especially goes on way too long)

celestial elixir is haken's only really good epic because it feels cohesive as heck and doesn't overstay its welcome. also dat chorus  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »
it's got the problem a ton of epics do where it has some great moments but the song feels like a patchwork of ideas rather than a cohesive whole & there's a fair amount of filler that could've been cut (that mid section especially goes on way too long)

celestial elixir is haken's only really good epic because it feels cohesive as heck and doesn't overstay its welcome. also dat chorus  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Totally agreed with CE... it's a well composed epic with plenty of great callbacks to the rest of the album. Incredible piece of work for a band's first album.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »

My favourite moments on Aquarius are 1) Celestial Elixir's first and third verses (and the bit in the second one that shares the melody from the first verse) 2) Celestial Elixir's chorus 3) Aquarium verses. The vocal melodies in Celestial Elixir are just so good.

The Architect starts out really strong, then the middle quiet section comes in and I lose interest in the song until the Initiate guitar melody comes up.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
The Architect starts out really strong, then the middle quiet section comes in and I lose interest in the song until the Initiate guitar melody comes up.

Yes. Thank you. I just skip the middle section whenever the song comes up.

Also CE's verses so much better than the chorus, and the best thing Haken have done along with Pareidolia's solo part.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
omg someone tied it and doc is going to waltz right in here and break the tie badly AGAIN

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
YES WE DID IT!!!!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »
we need scar

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
Yessssss!..

Best tiebreaker: DoC.. ;D

My favourite moments on Aquarius are 1) Celestial Elixir's first and third verses (and the bit in the second one that shares the melody from the first verse) 2) Celestial Elixir's chorus 3) Aquarium verses. The vocal melodies in Celestial Elixir are just so good.

Do you all really like the circus section that much to at least not have issues with it?.. For me it ruins what's otherwise a very good song.. It's an average (Haken average) song because of that and the long that it gets.. Just the contrary with The Architect.. The middle part?.. I certainly don't love it and can understand the boredom it produce in others (apparently the majority), but it doesn't even start to spoil in the slightest the almost excellent song it is..

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 05:57:57 AM »
Yessssss!..

Best tiebreaker: DoC.. ;D

Do you all really like the circus section that much to at least not have issues with it?.. For me it ruins what's otherwise a very good song.. It's an average (Haken average) song because of that and the long that it gets.. Just the contrary with The Architect.. The middle part?.. I certainly don't love it and can understand the boredom it produce in others (apparently the majority), but it doesn't even start to spoil in the slightest the almost excellent song it is..

Neither does the "circus" section spoil the completely excellent song that is Celestial Elixir. In fact, that was one of the main things that got me into the song. I'd never heard anything like it in rock music at all. And for the record, The Architect is a completely excellent song as well, middle part included. If you want constant balls-to-the-wall with no contrast whatsoever, stay with The Glass Prison or something.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 01:17:31 PM »
There's good contrast (think Celestial Elixir soft verses and the rest of the song) and there's forced contrast for the sake of making an epic. Architect falls into the latter category imo.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
There's good contrast (think Celestial Elixir soft verses and the rest of the song) and there's forced contrast for the sake of making an epic. Architect falls into the latter category imo.

I don't think they've intentionally decided at a certain point of the creating process of the song to include a contrast to the heaviness of the start only because the song was gonna be "an epic", which is why you're implying.. We can't know this for sure, but from my experience these kind of things just happen, they're not "forced" to happen by the musician.. What you're saying is that it feels forced when you listen to it, and that's ok.. But, even then, that's obviously just one point of view, certainly not mine..

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 01:01:24 AM »
I think Celestial Elixir is a better song, but the contrasts in The Architect feel more natural.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »
And for the record, The Architect is a completely excellent song as well, middle part included. If you want constant balls-to-the-wall with no contrast whatsoever, stay with The Glass Prison or something.

God knows I've been avoiding most of the potential arguments on this board because I just want to have a friendly discussion about music and related themes, not bothering with arguing any point I don't agree with, but damn it, I just can't ignore that because this little statement aggravated me like nothing else lately for some reason.

I mean, just look at you, charging into the discussion on your high horse again as you usually do and claiming that basically everyone who complains about The Architect's middle part wants to hear songs that are "constant balls-to-the-wall with no contrast whatsoever".

I can't speak for everyone here who dislikes The Architect's middle section, but I can tell you that the quiet sections are usually my favourite in Haken's music—I think that the quiet verses of Aquarium are excellent, the songs like Sun, Deathless, Somebody and As Death Embraces are in my constant rotation, the verses of Nocturnal Conspiracy are great, and my favourite moment on Visions album is the moment when Shapeshifter suddenly goes for the quiet vocal passages after two verse-chorus routine—and I think this assumption that everyone who dislikes the quiet moments in The Architect simply wants some balls-to-the-wall music is silly and annoying. In my opinion, which, of course and obviously is pretty different compared to yours, the quiet middle part in The Architect is simply quite boring and not-that-exciting-at-all to me. There is difference between disliking something because it features a certain style, tempo and atmosphere, as opposed to because you just don't think it's good music. With the middle section of The Architect, I tend to fall into the latter bracket.

And not really important to the argument I'm perhaps going to start with this post, I don't like The Glass Prison at all, it's somewhere in the bottom 20 DT songs for me. But hey, good on you for assuming this stuff for me.