Author Topic: Bands with a "perfect" ending to their career  (Read 4514 times)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: Bands with a "perfect" ending to their career
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 11:00:02 PM »
Aside from Rush or Bowie, I would nominate Altar of Plagues. Teethed Glory and Injury was an amazing album, my favorite of 2013, and a really interesting change of sound for the band. Too bad they called it quits, but I guess at least they went out with a bang.

As for the Beatles, whether you count Abbey Road or Let It Be as their last album, either one works for me. I quite like Let It Be.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 12:58:38 AM »
I mean, depends on how you look at it, I would argue Abbey Road by The Beatles (the End medley is a great ending to the album) but technically Let it Be was released after, even if it was recorded before.

So much this.

The End medley is just  :hefdaddy

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 08:37:19 AM »
...and 'Abbey Road' fit. 

Ah, but then they undermined that with Let It Be. Abbey Road should have been their swansong as far as studio albums go, but there you go.

The band themselves didn't undermine it.  Others around them did (though you could put John Lennon in that "others" group, since he gave the tapes - in desperation - to Phil Spector. 

I think it makes a difference if the band knows it's the end.  I don't think REM's "Collapse Into Now" is the same album if they knew it was the last one when they made it. 

I think Queen is the second or third best example (with the Beatles).  The best?  Glen Campbell.   Two months before he passes, he releases his last studio album, and the final song is called "Adios".   
          I got to leave you on the California coast
          Going where the water's clear and the air is cleaner
          Than the California Coast

Our dreams of endless summers
          They were just too grandiose
          Adiós, adios

And I'll miss the blood red sunset
          But I'll miss you the most
          Adios, adios
          Adios, adios

Sorry, huge Rush fan, but I think the "ending" of Clockwork Angels is a little over-rated.  I also disagree with "The Endless River" as a miss; it is a tremendous epitaph for Rick Wright, a major part of the Floyd sound.   It's a great album, especially at this stage of the career, but it's a little hyperbolic to say "/thread".   It's not even top five for me.

1. The Beatles
1. Glen Campbell
3. Queen
4. Genesis (with Phil - "Fading Lights")
5. Mother Love Bone

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
Clockwork Angels is a great way to go out, but I think it's enhanced by the absolute Rush suckage of the previous 20 years. Just sayin'..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 09:04:09 AM »
5. Mother Love Bone

I kinda object to this one.  I mean, yeah, Apple was a fantastic album and all.  But it was really their first full-length album, and they were still an unknown band on the rise that was about to take off, but never did because of Andrew's sudden passing.  So they didn't really have much of a "career" to speak of.  And then they basically transformed into Pearl Jam.  So I'm not sure they really fit the spirit of what this thread is about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 10:19:28 AM »
Clockwork Angels is a great way to go out, but I think it's enhanced by the absolute Rush suckage of the previous 20 years. Just sayin'..
Except that it's not. Counterparts is held in very high regard, and I would personaly rank Vapor trails above Clockwork angels. Not to mention that I've never seen any Snakes and arrows haters - it's not beloved, but there is no criticism surrounding it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »
Except that it's not. Counterparts is held in very high regard, and I would personaly rank Vapor trails above Clockwork angels. Not to mention that I've never seen any Snakes and arrows haters - it's not beloved, but there is no criticism surrounding it.

I'm just being a jerk. I think Counterparts is longer than 20 years though. Personally I do like most of Vapor Trails. But you have just met your first S&A hater.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »
Sentenced

Finland's answer to morose, melodic metal.  In 2005, they announced that they would write one final album as a farewell, then tour for the rest of the year.  The album was written specifically for the purpose of ending the band.

They filmed their final concert, intended as the band's funeral (their lyrics usually revolved around death, loss, and grieving).  They played 24 songs - 5 of them with their original singer, who they invited back for just this one concert and filmed it for a live DVD.  The final song on the album was intended as their farewell, and it was played at the end of the show as the final song of their career. 

"End of the Road" Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BtC3hnea0E

Here we are, now lay the burden down
 We're coming to the end of our road
 Sorrowful yet glorious somehow
 To be humming this one last ode
 So calm and still... it wasn't all that bad, or was it now?
 Fulfilled... it doesn't only hurt to end it now

The funeral

The memories beneath the dust of years
 They seem like those of someone deceased
 There's no more to be done, or hoped or feared
 Just waiting for the final release
 So calm and thrilled... it wasn't all that bad, or was it now?
 Still it doesn't only hurt end it now

Is life over, this life's over?
 Or has it only just begun?
 It grows colder, starts to moulder...
 Coming apart yet still not done
 Forever one

Essentially, this is kind of what Motley Crue did, but without the shitty albums and signing a contract and band member drama.  The band just said "hey, this is it," put out a pretty kickass album and made the last show a funeral, which fit with their lyrics and themes.  Sadly, one of the guitarists died a handful of years later, so the band is certainly done.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »

I'm just being a jerk. I think Counterparts is longer than 20 years though. Personally I do like most of Vapor Trails. But you have just met your first S&A hater.

19 years between Counterparts and Clockwork Angels.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 10:55:40 AM »
Aereogramme - My Heart Has a Wish That You Would Not Go
Anathallo - Canopy Glow
As Tall as Lions - You Can't Take it With You
Doves - Kingdom of Rust
Burst - Lazarus Bird
Falling Up - Falling Up
Kaddisfly - Horses Galloping on Sailboats
The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet
Savatage - Poets and Madmen
Silverchair - Young Modern
Spawn of Possession - Incurso
Textures - Phenotype
Time of Orchids - Namesake Caution
Tokyo Jihen - Daihakken

How many albums have to be in their catalog qualifies?

Because if only 2:

Battle Circus - Battle Circus
Clann Zu - Black Coates and Bandages
Jellyfish - Spilt Milk
Kiss Kiss - The Meek Shall Inherit What's Left

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
Hopefully Symphony X isn't on their way out. Their last album "Underworld" is fantastic, perhaps my fav SX album. I just hope "Swan Song"  isn't their swan song.. I would like to see them make more albums and tour some more.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »
Forgot about Sentenced.

I completely agree that it was a perfectly planned and executed ending for the band. They promised "This is it", and that was it, and yes, sadly that was definitively remarked by the untimely passing of the guitarist.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 11:30:26 AM »
I was also thinking about Thin Lizzy. They went out with a great album, Thunder And Lightning, and did a Farewell Tour. Their last show at Reading '83 is captured on a BBC Live In Concert CD, which is amazing!

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »
Sentenced

Finland's answer to morose, melodic metal.  In 2005, they announced that they would write one final album as a farewell, then tour for the rest of the year.  The album was written specifically for the purpose of ending the band.

They filmed their final concert, intended as the band's funeral (their lyrics usually revolved around death, loss, and grieving).  They played 24 songs - 5 of them with their original singer, who they invited back for just this one concert and filmed it for a live DVD.  The final song on the album was intended as their farewell, and it was played at the end of the show as the final song of their career. 

"End of the Road" Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BtC3hnea0E

Here we are, now lay the burden down
 We're coming to the end of our road
 Sorrowful yet glorious somehow
 To be humming this one last ode
 So calm and still... it wasn't all that bad, or was it now?
 Fulfilled... it doesn't only hurt to end it now

The funeral

The memories beneath the dust of years
 They seem like those of someone deceased
 There's no more to be done, or hoped or feared
 Just waiting for the final release
 So calm and thrilled... it wasn't all that bad, or was it now?
 Still it doesn't only hurt end it now

Is life over, this life's over?
 Or has it only just begun?
 It grows colder, starts to moulder...
 Coming apart yet still not done
 Forever one

Essentially, this is kind of what Motley Crue did, but without the shitty albums and signing a contract and band member drama.  The band just said "hey, this is it," put out a pretty kickass album and made the last show a funeral, which fit with their lyrics and themes.  Sadly, one of the guitarists died a handful of years later, so the band is certainly done.

I forgot about Sentenced. For me, that's the perfect example, great farewell album and great farewell song (one of my favorite songs ever) and certainly great funeral concert.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 01:30:47 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »
As mentioned before: Savatage - Poets and Madmen isn't the best but it's good enough. But a little part of me hopes that they will make another record.

If Van Halen doesn't get his ass off the ground A Different Kind Of Truth is not a bad way to end a career.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
Maybe I'm reading too much into the OP, but I thought ending the career in a great way was a bit more than just releasing a pretty good final album.

I still look to Rush for this one. Did a good, well received, ambitious final album, with a huge final tour that celebrated their entire career and they ended things on their terms.

Then I look at Queen, and the only arguments in favor of them having a perfect ending is the perspective that after Freddie, it stopped being queen, despite being billed as Queen (plus others, sure, but still Queen).

I don't think a lot of bands end their careers in great ways. It often ends with a string of irrelevant albums, or a huge break up, or changing members and losing that original touch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
Maybe I'm reading too much into the OP, but I thought ending the career in a great way was a bit more than just releasing a pretty good final album.

I still look to Rush for this one. Did a good, well received, ambitious final album, with a huge final tour that celebrated their entire career and they ended things on their terms.

Then I look at Queen, and the only arguments in favor of them having a perfect ending is the perspective that after Freddie, it stopped being queen, despite being billed as Queen (plus others, sure, but still Queen).

I don't think a lot of bands end their careers in great ways. It often ends with a string of irrelevant albums, or a huge break up, or changing members and losing that original touch.

Or just a quiet fade, like The Kinks. 

Online Adami

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »

Or just a quiet fade, like The Kinks.

Not too familiar with The Kinks, always been a bit too vanilla for all of that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »

I think for most bands it's a question whether their demise is a conscious decision or not. Rush simply retired, which meant they could prepare an ending they saw fit. Queen ended with Freddie's long-coming death, and that too liberated them musically in a lot of ways, allowing them to return to their roots, or do very pensive songs, without fear of career suicide. David Bowie, same thing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2017, 04:16:05 PM »
We just agree that Queen ended. I think ending on that Freddie tribute show would have been the greatest way any band could end.

I just disagree that they ended there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »

Agreed. It seems like some are just going with "this band released a good final album." 

To give a good example, by using a band I am not a big fan of, the current Guns N' Roses reunion tour has apparently been great and a huge success.  Let's say that this tour was their ending. I would say that qualifies as a great ending, even though it is only a tour we are talking about (no new album to go along with it), given the self-inflicted turmoil that engulfed them for decades.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
I'm not a big GnR fan either, but I wouldn't mind seeing them at The Gorge in Washington State in early September. Especially now they got Slash back..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline LordCost

« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2017, 06:46:14 AM »
Anathallo - Canopy Glow
Doves - Kingdom of Rust
Burst - Lazarus Bird
Falling Up - Falling Up
Textures - Phenotype
Tokyo Jihen - Daihakken

Because if only 2:

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk
I agree with you with Aereogramme, but Noctourniquet is not one of my favourite Mars Volta albums.

I may add also Oceansize. Their last album is the one I listen the most now, maybe I overplayed the others.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »
Anathallo - Canopy Glow
Doves - Kingdom of Rust
Burst - Lazarus Bird
Falling Up - Falling Up
Textures - Phenotype
Tokyo Jihen - Daihakken

Because if only 2:

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk
I agree with you with Aereogramme, but Noctourniquet is not one of my favourite Mars Volta albums.

I may add also Oceansize. Their last album is the one I listen the most now, maybe I overplayed the others.

see I happen to really like Noctourniquet, contrary to many other fans. I like it more than both Octahedron (which I think was okay, especially for the band's intention/style with it), and Bedlam in Goliath which the mixing and production I find to be so much worse than Noctourniquet, Noctournique, almost by default, felt like a breath of fresh air.

Aereogramme were great, and it's a shame they never did anything after that. Iain Cook of course has found success with Chvrches, but I can't say I've ever cared for them. I just would think the hordes of fans they have would discover Aereogramme at some point, but I dunno if it's ever happened really.

On Oceansize, while I love them, to me, Self-Preserved is clearly my least favorite (and least listened to) album. It has some good work on it, but jeez, comparing it to Frames and Everything Into Position, I can't fathom ever seeing it in the same category. I even spoke to Mike Vennart a little about that last April when I saw him with Biffy Clyro, and the band was not in the best shape at the point they made Self Preserved. Largely per their drummer Mark Heron.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2017, 09:16:26 AM »
Hopefully Symphony X isn't on their way out. Their last album "Underworld" is fantastic, perhaps my fav SX album. I just hope "Swan Song"  isn't their swan song.. I would like to see them make more albums and tour some more.
Came here to post this, SX popped into my mind immediately after reading the title. Underworld is my favorite album of the past X years, if only they had released a live DVD of the tour. That said, hopefully it's not the end. The Legend never--

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »
The legend never dies.. Great song!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2017, 12:19:57 PM »
Anathallo - Canopy Glow
Doves - Kingdom of Rust
Burst - Lazarus Bird
Falling Up - Falling Up
Textures - Phenotype
Tokyo Jihen - Daihakken

Because if only 2:

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk

see I happen to really like Noctourniquet, contrary to many other fans. I like it more than both Octahedron (which I think was okay, especially for the band's intention/style with it), and Bedlam in Goliath which the mixing and production I find to be so much worse than Noctourniquet, Noctournique, almost by default, felt like a breath of fresh air.

Aereogramme were great, and it's a shame they never did anything after that. Iain Cook of course has found success with Chvrches, but I can't say I've ever cared for them. I just would think the hordes of fans they have would discover Aereogramme at some point, but I dunno if it's ever happened really.

On Oceansize, while I love them, to me, Self-Preserved is clearly my least favorite (and least listened to) album. It has some good work on it, but jeez, comparing it to Frames and Everything Into Position, I can't fathom ever seeing it in the same category. I even spoke to Mike Vennart a little about that last April when I saw him with Biffy Clyro, and the band was not in the best shape at the point they made Self Preserved. Largely per their drummer Mark Heron.
Bedlam is my favourite TMV album, but I don't listen to them almost anymore. I liked Noctourniquet more than Octahedron, but I didn't love both.

I like all the Oceansize albums equally. If I had to do a top 50 albums I would have troubles to choose one album only.

I think Aereogramme are still unknown as they were when they broke up...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »
I mentally put posthumous releases into their own category, so I guess in that case I don't think of them as "spoiling" a good ending.

Queen ended, then Made in Heaven happened, but despite Freddy's voice on the album, it was a posthumous release, so I don't really count it.

Same with Pink Floyd and Endless River.  Something like a tribute to Rick Wright or just a posthumous release, but not the "real" final album.

People were talking about perfect endings that were spoiled by the band actually carrying on, and Genesis comes immediately to mind.  We Can't Dance was a fine album, and the closing track "Fading Lights" is itself a reference to the ending of it all.  Then effing Calling All Stations came out, half-baked and poorly received, and ruined that beautiful ending.  They even tried for a better ending with the 2007 reunion tour, but the songs were tuned down and slower, so it sounded like what it was: a bunch of old men trying to recapture the magic, and failing.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »
The first band that came to mind, without reading anything but the OP subject line, was:

RUSH

/thread.

Yeah the hell!   :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
I'm disappointed in myself for forgetting to mention Danger Days by MCR... guess I'm still hoping for a follow up.

Strapping Young Lad also ended strong with The New Black.

And Watershed by Opeth was a great ending as well. Shame about that shitty band that's been putting me to sleep with the same name.

Online Adami

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »
I'm not 100% if the band is over, but if they are, The Gathering.

Their last concert (that I could see) was in 2014 and featured, I'm pretty sure, every former band member joining them for different songs. Sounds like an amazing way to go out. Just wish they released a DVD and not just audio.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »
Never heard of that band, but that sounds like a great way to go.