Author Topic: Bands with a "perfect" ending to their career  (Read 4512 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Bands with a "perfect" ending to their career
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:35 PM »
Never heard of that band, but that sounds like a great way to go.

I'm hoping Metallica does a similar final show whenever it comes. They did it already with their anniversary thing, but it would also be a great way to go out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2017, 07:22:07 AM »
I mentally put posthumous releases into their own category, so I guess in that case I don't think of them as "spoiling" a good ending.

Queen ended, then Made in Heaven happened, but despite Freddy's voice on the album, it was a posthumous release, so I don't really count it.

Same with Pink Floyd and Endless River.  Something like a tribute to Rick Wright or just a posthumous release, but not the "real" final album.

People were talking about perfect endings that were spoiled by the band actually carrying on, and Genesis comes immediately to mind.  We Can't Dance was a fine album, and the closing track "Fading Lights" is itself a reference to the ending of it all.  Then effing Calling All Stations came out, half-baked and poorly received, and ruined that beautiful ending.  They even tried for a better ending with the 2007 reunion tour, but the songs were tuned down and slower, so it sounded like what it was: a bunch of old men trying to recapture the magic, and failing.

The way they played "Fading Lights" on the tour was great too - just the three of them.   If'n I recall, that may be the only time that that three of them played alone on stage.   

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »
I'm not 100% if the band is over, but if they are, The Gathering.

Their last concert (that I could see) was in 2014 and featured, I'm pretty sure, every former band member joining them for different songs. Sounds like an amazing way to go out. Just wish they released a DVD and not just audio.

I hope The Gathering aren't done, as their last record was really good.

I guess with Kaddisfly, the same can be said per they made their last record after being gone for 8 years, and it was really both for the fans and to complete the trilogy of albums they did. But like many fans, I am very much hoping they find the means to make more music in the near future.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »
People were talking about perfect endings that were spoiled by the band actually carrying on, and Genesis comes immediately to mind.  We Can't Dance was a fine album, and the closing track "Fading Lights" is itself a reference to the ending of it all.  Then effing Calling All Stations came out, half-baked and poorly received, and ruined that beautiful ending.  They even tried for a better ending with the 2007 reunion tour, but the songs were tuned down and slower, so it sounded like what it was: a bunch of old men trying to recapture the magic, and failing.

The way they played "Fading Lights" on the tour was great too - just the three of them.   If'n I recall, that may be the only time that that three of them played alone on stage.   

The 7/8 jam from "The Cinema Show" was always performed as a three-piece (Banks, Rutherford, Collins).  This goes all the way back to the Seconds Out days, and they kept it that way.  Probably just because it's kinda cool to keep doing it that way.  So not an entire song, but a pretty significant jam.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »
(Dammit!  I knew that too, but wasn't 100% sure so I hoped no one would notice.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA).