Author Topic: Bands with a "perfect" ending to their career  (Read 4537 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Bands with a "perfect" ending to their career
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »
Which bands ended their career on a perfect note? I'm struggling to think of examples. Pink Floyd managed to hold their perfect ending (The Division Bell, and High Hopes) for 20 years or so but then they went and did The Endless River, thus ruining it. At the moment, Rush have perhaps got it, with Clockwork Angels and The Garden.

Offline bill1971

Re: Bands with a "perfect" ending to their career
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:33:03 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, Rush and The Garden. Perfect ending. Even their last tour, how they went to in reverse order on the tour until they were "gone".

The Division Bell, High Hopes is pretty damn perfect too. I know they released that "new" album, but I consider that almost just unreleased tracks.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
Electric Ladyland was the first to come to mind, if you ignore the multitude of posthumous releases (which I prefer to do).

I quite like Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl.

I couldn't get into it myself, but Bowie's Blackstar was very well received.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
Leonard Cohen and his You Want It Darker comes to mind. Not just because I love that album but also because of the themes that go throughout the album, he knew the end is near.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »
I couldn't get into it myself, but Bowie's Blackstar was very well received.

It was stunning that Bowie, after such a long hiatus, could produce two excellent albums before his death.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:50:17 AM »
Speaking of bands that screwed up the ending... I point my finger at The Scorpions, doing another album after the last track on the "final" one was called The Best is Yet to Come, a perfect statement.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
I mean, depends on how you look at it, I would argue Abbey Road by The Beatles (the End medley is a great ending to the album) but technically Let it Be was released after, even if it was recorded before.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »
Dillinger Escape Plan just released what they say will be their final album and I think it's a great way to end a career.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
I mean, depends on how you look at it, I would argue Abbey Road by The Beatles (the End medley is a great ending to the album) but technically Let it Be was released after, even if it was recorded before.

This is a great one.

Queen Innuendo -- The Show Must Go On.  This lyrics are haunting and poetic, the music haunting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »
Pink Floyd managed to hold their perfect ending (The Division Bell, and High Hopes) for 20 years or so but then they went and did The Endless River, thus ruining it.

Leonard Cohen and his You Want It Darker comes to mind. Not just because I love that album but also because of the themes that go throughout the album, he knew the end is near.

Speaking of bands that screwed up the ending... I point my finger at The Scorpions, doing another album after the last track on the "final" one was called The Best is Yet to Come, a perfect statement.

I agree with all of this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
'Perfect note' being a great final release, then 'Innuendo' and 'Abbey Road' fit. 

'Synchronicity' ....at their height in popularity, and their best album.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
The first band that came to mind, without reading anything but the OP subject line, was:

RUSH

/thread.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Art

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
Had they not toured without Bill Ward, i would say Black Sabbath. But the way they left him out of the whole reunion was not cool. I do like 13 as an album, though.  And also The Devil You Know is an awesome ending for the Dio-fronted Sabbath.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »
The first band that came to mind, without reading anything but the OP subject line, was:
RUSH
/thread.

*reopens thread*

Queen Innuendo -- The Show Must Go On.  This lyrics are haunting and poetic, the music haunting.

That album was an incredible, and poignant, closer to the band's career.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »
RUSH
/thread.

*reopens thread*

As far as studio's album go. Agreed. But the band....much like the show, did go on. I think the tribute show would have been a perfect ending. Then they kept going. They're still going. Hard to call just their last album the end of their career.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »

But then there was Made In Heaven and the Paul Rodgers album, so it wasn't really the ending.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
I wouldn't say Dissociation is DEP's best album, but it's a pretty great way to go out.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 12:15:41 PM »
RUSH
/thread.

*reopens thread*

:lol

Innuendo was an amazing capper.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 12:22:19 PM »
I don't view either Queen+Lambert or the posthumous albums to be "Queen". IMO the last album of the band was Innuendo. The rest is "lost tapes" and "The Queen Experience".

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
I don't view either Queen+Lambert or the posthumous albums to be "Queen". IMO the last album of the band was Innuendo. The rest is "lost tapes" and "The Queen Experience".

I don't either. I think it was a wise move for Queen to call themselves Queen+Paul Rodgers and Queen+Adam Lambert. It allows them to benefit by using the band name, but at the same time making clear it isn't quite the same. Very smart marketing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »
Rush, with Bowie being right behind them.

I would have said Queen - however, Made in heaven.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »
Rush, with Bowie being right behind them.

I would have said Queen - however, Made in heaven.

As Rumbo said "lost tapes"  It was the other band members finishing up songs. I don't count that as the true last album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LordCost

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
Dillinger Escape Plan just released what they say will be their final album and I think it's a great way to end a career.
First band that came to my mind reading this post

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »
Out of the bands not already mentioned, Sentenced comes to mind immediately. "End of the Road", the last song they ever wrote, is excellent and it was a worthy ending for their "funeral" at Teatria back in the day. Their last album was received really well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BtC3hnea0E
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
...and 'Abbey Road' fit. 

Ah, but then they undermined that with Let It Be. Abbey Road should have been their swansong as far as studio albums go, but there you go.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »

This is a great one.

This. The Queen + albums don't count.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »
Obviously, I'm biased, but definitely Rush. The last album was amazing. If I could pick any song from any album to be the last studio track on Rush's last studio record I would be hard pressed to find a better one than The Garden. And the last tour was absolutely phenomenal.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »
Even without Queen+, you still have Made in Heaven, which undermines the finality of Innuendo and The Show Must Go On. And Made in Heaven includes Freddie, so you can't use the lack of Mercury as an excuse to exclude MIH from the canon. So Queen are out of the equation, as it were.

It's difficult, though, isn't it? So many band endings are ambiguous. There aren't that many definitive, "this is the end" moments in rock history.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
It's difficult, though, isn't it? So many band endings are ambiguous. There aren't that many definitive, "this is the end" moments in rock history.

I hope my favorite band of all time, Iron Maiden, will have this. I don't want them to end the way Black Sabbath did, dragged out amidst many years of uncertainty and lineup changes, with the risk of goddamn cancer having the final word on it instead of them (luckily Tony Iommi is doing well so far).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »

I hope my favorite band of all time, Iron Maiden, will have this. I don't want them to end the way Black Sabbath did, dragged out amidst many years of uncertainty and lineup changes, with the risk of goddamn cancer having the final word on it instead of them (luckily Tony Iommi is doing well so far).

The potential for that perfect ending could not have happened if Adrian and Bruce did not come back to Iron Maiden and would have probably ended the way that Sabbath did.  However, since they did came back and five new albums strong with the same line-up and a big legion of fans, old and new, supporting them, I think their chance for that perfect ending is really high.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
And also The Devil You Know is an awesome ending for the Dio-fronted Sabbath.

I was thinking about this, but more in terms of Ronnie James Dio. He struggled for a number of years, but he was fantastic on this album and tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
Iron Maiden are definitely on the path to a perfect ending, will probably go the way of Rush.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »
Iron Maiden are definitely on the path to a perfect ending, will probably go the way of Rush.

As long as we don't get Reraising Hell, I'm good with whatever happens.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 05:48:48 PM »
I am also biased, but I think the answer is Rush.  Great last album and the final tour was really good.

Bowie went out great, too, releasing a fantastic album, one of his best, days before he died.

I might have said Pink Floyd, especially if Live 8 had been the last thing Floyd ever did, but while a solid release, The Endless River kind of took away from it.

Same for Queen and Made for Heaven.  Had Innuendo been the end, that would have been fitting, but Made in Heaven counts as a real final release.  I like Made in Heaven quite a bit, but it's not Innuendo.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »
Up until a few months ago, I would have said Galactic Cowboys.  Let it Go is *AMAZING*....but now they are releasing a new album, so that disqualifies them.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude