Author Topic: Racial tension ramping up....  (Read 3593 times)

Offline XeRocks81

Re: Racial tension ramping up....
« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2017, 10:55:55 AM »

But I honestly don't know what other recent incident to compare this too, on any side of the spectrum.

Weren't there a few similar incidents of cars being used by terrorists in europe just last year?

Correction, there was another one just today  :sad: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/barcelona-car-crash-1.4251171

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #211 on: August 17, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »
I recall a few pages ago Stadler mentioned he once punched someone in the face for calling his friend a racial slur and how conflicted he felt about it.   Far be it from me to say how he should feel,  I've  never been in that situation as an adult and I imagine I' be upset about it too however justfied I was.   But I would like offer this point of view  written by one of my facebook acquaintances whose name I'll leave out of it for privacy.

White friends who say that violence against Nazis is wrong: when you say that you're telling the people of color you know, the Jews, the gay people you know that you don't think protecting them is worth the transgression of socking a Nazi in the jaw. You're telling them that you would rather debate the guy who is calling for their extermination than shut that guy down forcibly. You're telling them that your support for them is intellectual, maybe even emotional, but that's as far as you'll go. You simply don't think it's tasteful to get your hands dirty.

The racists who showed up in Charlottesville showed up with weapons. They had weapons caches hidden around the city. They showed up in paramilitary gear. They showed up with flags that represent genocide. They showed up not to make their voices heard but rather to intimidate and frighten people, to forcefully assert their dominance. They showed up hoping to hurt people, emotionally and physically. THIS WAS ALWAYS THEIR PLAN.

They are ready, willing and able to kill. And you're saying it's not okay to punch them or throw rocks at them?

This isn't a disagreement over politics. This isn't about policy. This is about people who want to eliminate other human beings from this country, and eventually from this earth. And they're not just talking about it - THEY HAVE A PRESIDENT IN OFFICE.

Attacking Nazis is clearly an act of not only self-defense but defense of millions of other people around you. So when you tut-tut about antifa attacking Nazis, you're very simply telling everyone who isn't white and straight that your adherence to a polite status quo is more valuable than their actual lives.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #212 on: August 17, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
Quote from: XeRock's Friend
White friends who say that violence against Nazis is wrong: when you say that you're telling the people of color you know, the Jews, the gay people you know that you don't think protecting them is worth the transgression of socking a Nazi in the jaw. You're telling them that you would rather debate the guy who is calling for their extermination than shut that guy down forcibly. You're telling them that your support for them is intellectual, maybe even emotional, but that's as far as you'll go. You simply don't think it's tasteful to get your hands dirty.
I'd have no trouble at all defending a friend who was threatened. Some asshole simply expressing his opinion isn't threatening him. If words become actions I'll have his/her back. Until then my support is intellectual so long as the "threat" is intellectual.

And to put it frankly, my friends are smart enough to understand the difference. Your acquaintance apparently isn't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
I'd have no trouble at all defending a friend who was threatened. Some asshole simply expressing his opinion isn't threatening him. If words become actions I'll have his/her back. Until then my support is intellectual so long as the "threat" is intellectual.

And to put it frankly, my friends are smart enough to understand the difference. Your acquaintance apparently isn't.
My thoughts exactly.  XeRocks81, your friend is drawing a false equivalency.  Not violently responding to a nonviolent assembly is NOT the same as not defending or protecting minorities.  Unless, of course, he is asking for protection from having his feelings hurt or protection from being offended. 

I do think his error is in good faith.  I think he honestly believes what he wrote.  But it isn't correct.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  XeRocks81, your friend is drawing a false equivalency.  Not violently responding to a nonviolent assembly is NOT the same as not defending or protecting minorities.  Unless, of course, he is asking for protection from having his feelings hurt or protection from being offended. 

I do think his error is in good faith.  I think he honestly believes what he wrote.  But it isn't correct.

I'm with both of you.   In my case I wasn't the first to make the scene violent.  It was part of a scuffle, and it was pushing and shoving until the dude dropped the "N-bomb".  I'm hard pressed to find an example where "violence" is justified first out of the gate.   Even the over-used references to Normandy seem to overlook that our invasion was a reaction, not an action.

Frankly, XeRocks81, that sounds like a rationalization for a mindset, albeit a well-written one.   Remember too, I'm the guy that is against the death penalty because I feel it is wrong to knowingly and with intent kill another human being. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #215 on: August 17, 2017, 01:13:33 PM »
I would say that Trump's campaign was all about identity politics. Just as much if not more than the others. It was just...white identity politics.

Respectfully I disagree.  This is a major point, one that doesn't get discussed enough, in my opinion.   I've said it here already (recently), but this is a problem with the nature of the discourse today and this need to be "proactively PC".   That you DON'T actively advocate for something does NOT mean you are against it.   I honestly do not believe that by NOT making special interest "identity politics" the number one priority that it means that it's defacto "white identity politics".   

He was by and large silent on gay rights and gay initiatives.  He was by and large silent (pre-election; I don't know WHAT he was thinking with the recent announcement) on trans issues.   He was callous and careless with the Mexican comments, but that was in the context of immigration, not "race relations".  Much of the "racist" evidence against Trump is a stretch and defies credibility ("Mexican" isn't a "race", it's a nationality; he wasn't calling out "Latinos", he was arguably referring to the citizens of our neighboring country.   His "Muslim ban" didn't touch 90% of the world's Muslims, so is a pretty crappy ban on "Muslims".   There's a lot of "Hmm, he MUST be a racist, so let's see what fits!" in this argument). 

I dunno man, from my perspective his entire campaign was about stoking white grievance. Starting with "Make America Great Again" all the way through to the end. You're right that not actively advocating for something doesn't automatically mean you're against it, but I don't think that's what happened here. The Trump campaign really leaned into this stuff in a way that recent Republican nominees have not.

So how do you boil things down to that level?   I think ALL candidates of any stripe receive votes from demographics that they'd rather not acknowledge, and Trump is no different.   I think the issues at play here lend themselves to abuse, but - like alcohol and marijuana - you have to sort of accept that very few things come with NO baggage whatsoever.   That a candidate appeals to a "white voter" doesn't make that appeal racist, any more than that a candidate appeals to a "black voter" makes that a racist appeal (or does it?)

You are absolutely right about this. I just think that Trump went beyond merely appealing to white voters by actively stoking racial resentment and animus.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2017, 10:39:44 AM »
LOL

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/08/23/robert-lee-espn-decision-pull-announcer-broadcast
The sports announcer Robert Lee...has found himself at the center of a major sports controversy on perceived political correctness run amok. In what ESPN says was a joint decision between the broadcaster and the company, Lee was removed from broadcasting Virginia’s season-opening football game on Sept. 2 against William & Mary because of the similarity of his name to the Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

But not really LOL. More like  :'(
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2017, 12:03:14 PM »
ESPN is a joke and has been a joke for years.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
LOL

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/08/23/robert-lee-espn-decision-pull-announcer-broadcast
The sports announcer Robert Lee...has found himself at the center of a major sports controversy on perceived political correctness run amok. In what ESPN says was a joint decision between the broadcaster and the company, Lee was removed from broadcasting Virginia’s season-opening football game on Sept. 2 against William & Mary because of the similarity of his name to the Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

But not really LOL. More like  :'(

I've read that he made the decision to do that himself and told ESPN he didn't want to announce it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »
Anyone who has any sense of reason and practicality when it comes to dealing with the inanity of "political correctness" need only reference this event from now on.   Not only is this a joke, but this is so outlandish that in my opinion, it tarnishes the underlying sentiment, and makes a joke of the underlying issue.   I'm not always as understanding as I can be with those that jump to offense, but this is insulting even to them. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #220 on: August 23, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #221 on: August 23, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »
What we have here is an amoral corporation so afraid of controversy that it has totally lost touch with everything and everyone. The idea that anyone would actually be offended by this Robert Lee calling that game is just astounding. They're being rightly pilloried from all angles with the wonderful side-effect of diminishing actual activism by giving the Ann Coulters and other right-wing culture warriors of the world more ammunition to discredit the whole movement. Good grief.

edit - i didn't read your post before writing mine but needless to say I agree with you.

Anyone who has any sense of reason and practicality when it comes to dealing with the inanity of "political correctness" need only reference this event from now on.   Not only is this a joke, but this is so outlandish that in my opinion, it tarnishes the underlying sentiment, and makes a joke of the underlying issue.   I'm not always as understanding as I can be with those that jump to offense, but this is insulting even to them. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2017, 01:43:33 PM »
This was a great op-ed related to the ESPN debacle.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/espn-robert-lee-moment-proves-trump-won-monument-debate-article-1.3435388

I called it:  "Whatever seriousness this argument once had is gone. And I, for one, think that’s a real shame." - S.E. Cupp

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #223 on: August 23, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »
What's frustrating to me is that it's the nutjobs on both sides ruining this country while the rational people towards middle are just sitting around watching this shit on the news shaking our heads. Most of these violent protesters are nothing but professional trouble makers who want to destroy things and throw shit at cops. If people would just ignore these morons and stop broadcasting their faces everywhere I'd assume that a lot of this crap would go away.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: August 23, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »
This was a great op-ed related to the ESPN debacle.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/espn-robert-lee-moment-proves-trump-won-monument-debate-article-1.3435388

I called it:  "Whatever seriousness this argument once had is gone. And I, for one, think that’s a real shame." - S.E. Cupp

Trump dared liberals to go down this kooky rabbit hole of political correctness. It’s fertile ground and he knew they’d take the bait.

I really wish more people could understand this concept. Their behavior makes them look really hypocritical and they're playing right into the narrative that the other side wants them to. If they could just keep their mouths shut and their hands to themselves for a few months, Trump would implode on his own. Instead, they give him an unlimited supply of ammunition.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/5995a8/espn-and-robert-lee-learn-people-love-being-angry-about-everything

This piece goes in sort of the same direction as the other one that was posted but I kinda prefer it.   At least we all agree it's a dumb story.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »
Robert Lee himself asked for a change because he didn't want to go to Charlottesville. That part is missing from most op eds.

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2017, 06:20:32 PM »
Except that this world has gone so bat shit crazy that a man, an Asian man with a name of a confederate general has to worry about these things.

Him being Asian adds to the absurdity.
“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »
I thought it was satire or shtick when someone at work today told me about it. :lol :lol

What about that nimrod getting upset last week about the mock fantasy football auction, comparing it to slavery? :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »
Best point I've seen about it:
No matter that Robert Lee is Asian-American and his name has nothing to do with the Confederacy or slavery. It seems unreasonable, ignorant and downright ridiculous to associate his name in any way with the Confederate general. Still, nothing we've witnessed in Charlottesville, or since, has been reasonable or intelligent.

People are understandably latching onto the absurdity of it, but in the end it's not much of a thing, save for the Streisand effect. They didn't want him to be caught up in a bunch of bullshit so they swapped games. They didn't fire him. They didn't tell him to stay home. Yet to hear people rejoicing in their opportunity to laugh at fools you'd think they fired him because he wouldn't change his name. Stadler chalked this up to ESPN being overly PC, and thus the subject of ridicule, but in the end it's ESPN being overcautious. Just as troubling, but a different argument that doesn't lend itself to mockery, and thus an opportunity lost.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2017, 06:57:42 PM »
The absurdity of it is that Robert had to worry about it. It's come to association with no association.
“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »
Robert Lee himself asked for a change because he didn't want to go to Charlottesville. That part is missing from most op eds.

Source? I've seen this mentioned, but the direct quote from ESPN says it a joint decision by the network and the broadcaster. And by that, I'm sure it was ESPN saying that their moving him and he agreed because what else could he do.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2017, 07:43:05 AM »
What's frustrating to me is that it's the nutjobs on both sides ruining this country while the rational people towards middle are just sitting around watching this shit on the news shaking our heads. Most of these violent protesters are nothing but professional trouble makers who want to destroy things and throw shit at cops. If people would just ignore these morons and stop broadcasting their faces everywhere I'd assume that a lot of this crap would go away.

We had this conversation, here, right after the last mass shooting.   "Why say their names?  Why give them the martyrdom they're clearly seeking?"   Why doesn't that apply here?   I think it's harder when the message is one you identify with. We don't take easily to shutting down our OWN arguments, only those of others. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2017, 07:53:13 AM »
No matter that Robert Lee is Asian-American and his name has nothing to do with the Confederacy or slavery. It seems unreasonable, ignorant and downright ridiculous to associate his name in any way with the Confederate general. Still, nothing we've witnessed in Charlottesville, or since, has been reasonable or intelligent.

People are understandably latching onto the absurdity of it, but in the end it's not much of a thing, save for the Streisand effect. They didn't want him to be caught up in a bunch of bullshit so they swapped games. They didn't fire him. They didn't tell him to stay home. Yet to hear people rejoicing in their opportunity to laugh at fools you'd think they fired him because he wouldn't change his name. Stadler chalked this up to ESPN being overly PC, and thus the subject of ridicule, but in the end it's ESPN being overcautious. Just as troubling, but a different argument that doesn't lend itself to mockery, and thus an opportunity lost.

Yeah, but you seem to suggest I picked that route for the mockery factor, and that's not really accurate.   I put the onus on ESPN because it was in their court to do the right thing.  Now, a caveat:  if Robert Lee came to his supervisor and said "look, my name was "Li" when I came over, but the fucktards at immigration changed it to "Lee" and now I'm scared for my life", then that's one thing (and this article seems to reinforce that:  http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/08/23/espns-decision-to-pull-announcer-robert-lee-from-game-sparks-outcry.html).   But if it is a safety factor, why is it an issue?    It's not as if "Robert Lee" is "John Madden" or "Al Michaels" ("hey, why is Madden not doing the game? Is he sick?").    Networks change announcers all the time, and - as far as I know, and I watch a lot of sports - it's never an issue, unless the person is sick or dying or something, and then it's usually a mention in the booth ("Some of you will note that Stadler was supposed to be here; his hemorhhoids are acting up, and there's another kerfluffle on DTF about whether Mike Portnoy is thin-skinned or not and he has to defend him, so he is unable to join us.  Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.")

'Course, arguably, this guy has it worse:  http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/ravens-broadcaster-gerry-sandusky-says-removal-of-robert-lee-shows-level-of-epidemic-insanity/mb9oxl2azacw1p3wkhsx448v0

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2017, 08:00:58 AM »
'Course, arguably, this guy has it worse:  http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/ravens-broadcaster-gerry-sandusky-says-removal-of-robert-lee-shows-level-of-epidemic-insanity/mb9oxl2azacw1p3wkhsx448v0

:lol

Fair points, but one thing you didn't mention, and I think this is also why it's kind of blown up, is that ESPN is already very much ridiculed for being very liberal and this move reenforces that belief on people.  They can latch onto this as proof of what they've been saying all along, right or wrong. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »

Yeah, but you seem to suggest I picked that route for the mockery factor, and that's not really accurate.   I put the onus on ESPN because it was in their court to do the right thing.  Now, a caveat:  if Robert Lee came to his supervisor and said "look, my name was "Li" when I came over, but the fucktards at immigration changed it to "Lee" and now I'm scared for my life", then that's one thing (and this article seems to reinforce that:  http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/08/23/espns-decision-to-pull-announcer-robert-lee-from-game-sparks-outcry.html).   But if it is a safety factor, why is it an issue?    It's not as if "Robert Lee" is "John Madden" or "Al Michaels" ("hey, why is Madden not doing the game? Is he sick?").    Networks change announcers all the time, and - as far as I know, and I watch a lot of sports - it's never an issue, unless the person is sick or dying or something, and then it's usually a mention in the booth ("Some of you will note that Stadler was supposed to be here; his hemorhhoids are acting up, and there's another kerfluffle on DTF about whether Mike Portnoy is thin-skinned or not and he has to defend him, so he is unable to join us.  Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.")

I know you didn't choose your stance based on the ridicule factor, but I singled you out because you're the one person I'd have expected to be pointing out the chilling effect in play here. You cited PCism, when what we seem to be seeing is actually the fear of PCism and the accompanying overreaction. You and I are the two people I've consistently seen raising that concern over the last few years.

It strikes me that pretty much everybody has chosen the wrong side of this thing, and it's mostly because ragging on excessive sensitivity is a nifty bandwagon to jump on.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2017, 08:15:11 AM »

:lol

Fair points, but one thing you didn't mention, and I think this is also why it's kind of blown up, is that ESPN is already very much ridiculed for being very liberal and this move reenforces that belief on people.  They can latch onto this as proof of what they've been saying all along, right or wrong.
I don't watch ESPN so I couldn't tell you if that's the case or not. What I can tell you is that I put zero stock in the liberal/conservative labels applied by the masses. None whatsoever. There are posters here would say that Mitch McConnell is bleeding heart. I can cite examples of Comrade Obama being far too conservative for my tastes. Then you factor in the tendency to construe common business sense with overt liberalism, as with the "mainstream media." ESPN doesn't want to lose advertising revenue by taking a stand against CK. Obviously they hate America! The same faulty logic applied to Trump by so many on the left.

In any case, ESPN's political leaning, if there even is one, has no bearing on my point. They pitched up a softball to the anti-PC crowd which reacted by yelling that it throws like a girl and calling it a fairy. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
In any case, ESPN's political leaning, if there even is one, has no bearing on my point. They pitched up a softball to the anti-PC crowd which reacted by yelling that it throws like a girl and calling it a fairy.

HAHA, this is legendary.  :)