Author Topic: Freshen Up the Setlist for the upcoming I&W 25th anniversary Tour ***SPOILERS***  (Read 2700 times)

Offline barho

As the next Leg of I&W's 25th anniversary tour approaches, and after having played the same setlist Across Europe, I thought it would be fun to Mix Up the setlist of the first set.

Disclaimer: I have NO information regarding such changes, but the band has hinted in past interviews that some changes to the setlist might happen.

The rules Are:

1. You may change up to 3 songs
2. The songs you choose as a replacement must be related in someway to the songs they replace, either in style, or being on the same album, or any other relation you can think of (if not obivous, explain the relation)
3. Try to choose songs that haven't been played in a while, so lucky people (such as myself) that got to see shows from both legs will get more diversity in the setlist

For reference, here's the setlist they played on the European leg (I excluded Portrait of Tracy since I can't think of any other "bass-oriented pieces" that can replace it  :lol
1. The Dark Eternal Night
2. The Bigger Picture
3. Hell's Kitchen
4. The Gift of Music
5. Our New World
6. As I Am
7. Breaking All Illusions

I would replace:

2. The Bigger Picture -> Surrender To Reason - TBP is my favorite off of DT12, and was a joy to witness in Hamburg, but STR deserves a bit of airplay too :)
4. The Gift of Music -> Three Days - Brace Yourself, Bow down to Nafaryus!
6. As I Am -> These Walls - The "heavy" track of the set (except for TDEN) but I've always felt like it's much more upbeat and fun in concert (compared to AIA)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:17:17 AM by barho »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

The Bigger Picture gets replaced by Surrender to Reason: TBP is my least favorite song of of DT12 while STR is my favorite besides IT.

As I Am gets replaced by Panic Attack: This one makes sense, as it's another song with a bass intro which means it would work coming out of Portrait of Tracy, and this song is so important to me as it was my introduction to the band. Hearing PA live would be an absolute dream, although I do love AIA as well.

Honestly though, the current setlist is structured extremely well, with The Bigger Picture flowing nicely into Hell's Kitchen which flows nicely into The Gift of Music. Then Portrait of Tracy leading into As I Am is a nice juxtaposition between the intricate beauty of Jaco Pastorius and the insanity that is Train of Thought era Dream Theater. And Breaking All Illusions is an amazing set closer despite being played a lot in the last five years. Honestly my biggest issue with this setlist is The Dark Eternal Night as an opener. I feel there are quite a few songs that would be better suited as openers (Afterlife, 6:00, The Glass Prison, Constant Motion, A Nightmare to Remember, or Bridges in the Sky would have been amazing) and TDEN is a strange choice.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Fun thread! I would do something like this:

1. In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1
2. Surrender to Reason
3. Hell's Kitchen
4. The Gift of Music
5. Our New World
6. The Root of All Evil
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online MirrorMask

Honestly though, the current setlist is structured extremely well, with The Bigger Picture flowing nicely into Hell's Kitchen which flows nicely into The Gift of Music. Then Portrait of Tracy leading into As I Am is a nice juxtaposition between the intricate beauty of Jaco Pastorius and the insanity that is Train of Thought era Dream Theater. And Breaking All Illusions is an amazing set closer despite being played a lot in the last five years. Honestly my biggest issue with this setlist is The Dark Eternal Night as an opener. I feel there are quite a few songs that would be better suited as openers (Afterlife, 6:00, The Glass Prison, Constant Motion, A Nightmare to Remember, or Bridges in the Sky would have been amazing) and TDEN is a strange choice.

I agree with all of this. Nice and good flowing selection, but with one of their "not so very best" songs ever first of all still in the setlist, and moreover as opener! I envy those of you who dig the song, you have 10 minutes more of DT discography to enjoy than me  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Fun thread! I would do something like this:

1. In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1
2. Surrender to Reason
3. Hell's Kitchen
4. The Gift of Music
5. Our New World
6. The Root of All Evil
That's one good seasoned setlist, my good friend.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RaiseTheKnife

1. The Gift of Music
2. The Bigger Picture
3. Hell's Kitchen
4. Behind the Veil
5. Our New World
6. Wither

(And we can stick in Moon Bubbles wherever Portrait of Tracy was supposed to go)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
We don't need a "spoilers" tag on a thread that is just guessing and playing around.  Speculation is, by definition, not a spoiler.

But if you want a spoiler:  I do have reason to believe there may be just a bit of "freshening up."  At least, it was being contemplated a few months ago.  We'll see...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Totally agreed. I would only swap out TDEN and maybe BAI for something less often played, but the rest of the set flows so well that I wouldn't mess with it.

Offline barho

We don't need a "spoilers" tag on a thread that is just guessing and playing around.  Speculation is, by definition, not a spoiler.

But if you want a spoiler:  I do have reason to believe there may be just a bit of "freshening up."  At least, it was being contemplated a few months ago.  We'll see...

I Kinda only added the spoilers tag because I posted the original setlist, but I can remove it if you approve, O Dark Master  :P

Offline Architeuthis

I really hope they keep The Bigger Picture in the set list. One of my favorite DT songs!
However, I'd prefer Octavarium over ACOS..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I hope they keep The Bigger Picture as well. My fave off DT, I wouldn't be upset either though if they switched it with Surrender to Reason.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

I would like to see more variety on the setlist, so I changed most of it, not just three songs  :biggrin:

1. ITPOE pt. 1
2. Surrender to Reason
3. Hell's Kitchen
4. The Walking Shadow
5. My Last Farewell
*Portrait of Tracy*
6. Panic Attack
7. Outcry

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

The Bigger Picture is a better song to me than Surrender To Reason.. Reason being (pun intended), Surrender goes on and on with the restless angels part, whereas TBP stays fresh and interesting through the whole song. Even though STR is a good song, I can live without it live..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope Hell's Kitchen makes it to Melbourne and Sydney in September... :)

Online MirrorMask

The Bigger Picture is a better song to me than Surrender To Reason.. Reason being (pun intended), Surrender goes on and on with the restless angels part, whereas TBP stays fresh and interesting through the whole song. Even though STR is a good song, I can live without it live..

Hear, hear!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Peter Mc

The first set is much better than it looks on paper.  I'll be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw what they were playing but, at the show itself, I really enjoyed it to the point where I turned and said "I'd actually have been happy with that as a concert in itself and we've still got Images and Words and A Change Of Seasons to come!"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

I just wish they'd have kept A Life Left Behind from the first few shows.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline utopiarun

I just wish they'd have kept A Life Left Behind from the first few shows.
This. My favorite song from TA

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
I hope they trade The Bigger Picture for Behind The Veil when they hit the US.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Honestly replacing The Dark Eternal Night with ITPOE pt 1 makes sooooo much sense.  For one, ITPOEpt1 is an AMAZING opener.  hence why it was used to open the album, it was so good DT split the song so it could open the album.  It should open the show if they are going to use a song from SC.

Other than that, I am OK with the rest of the setlist, just please don't remove Hell's Kitchen.  I guess I would love any of the 3 DT12 songs, BTV, STR, or TBP.  I guess I'd choose to have all three over AIA and BAI, but that doesn't make too much sense to have that much focus on DT12 other than to satisfy my own wants of seeing songs I haven't seen before.

Offline Architeuthis

If anything, KEEP The Bigger Picture and replace As I Am with Behind The Veil. 
I think that is a good call to replace Dark Eternal Night with ITPOE part1 as the opener..

Offline RaiseTheKnife

If anything, KEEP The Bigger Picture and replace As I Am with Behind The Veil. 
I think that is a good call to replace Dark Eternal Night with ITPOE part1 as the opener..

:tup :tup :tup