Author Topic: State of the Union?  (Read 197 times)

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
State of the Union?
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:03:33 PM »
Most of you know I don't take sides in politics, but I do watch from the sidelines. 

I'm not familiar with the protocol for "state of the union addresses"....but I do know that they have always happened throughout my lifetime.   But I'm not sure of the frequency....or if there even is a set in stone schedule for when these speeches are supposed to occur.

Are we supposed to be due for a state of the union speech? Or is this just another tradition that Trump is snubbing?

Genuinely curious.   I just feel like we are due for one.  And I dont even remember how frequently they are supposed to happen.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: State of the Union?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:30:22 PM »
Christ, his first SotUA will be nightmarish, but perhaps ugly enough to be interesting. He'll spend all of his time talking about how great America is thanks to him, with no help whatsoever from Congress, and by next Feb. he'll likely be at war with both parties. The republicans will make their token applause after every sentence, as is the custom, but they'll be pretty hateful about it.

Hell, part of me actually hopes the US and DPRK nuke each other just to hear his explanation about how wonderful it was that he made it happen. "No other president in the history of this nation would have had the courage, the skill, the knowhow to create this wonderful, wonderful Armageddon. Just beautiful."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:01 AM »
I feel like whenever it's time for him to do one of these big speeches, he actually does pull through though (not saying he says stuff we all agree on, just that he doesn't look like the twitter buffoon).  Likely because it will be written by someone else and he won't ad lib, which is typically where he bites himself in the ass.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »
State of the union is usually in february I think.  Except when the POTUS has just been sworn in like this year.