Author Topic: The Most Universally Accepted and Liked Song Thread  (Read 7766 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Most Universally Accepted and Liked Song Thread
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
Right, but that goes for Bohemian Rhapsody as well.

I would argue that BR has found a place in pop culture, even today, that those other songs really haven't.

I feel like a lot of those other songs, while not necessarily disliked, are more likely to be met with apathy by the general population today.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »

I think (one of) the most universally liked song(s) is Hey Ya! by Outkast, I'm shocked no one has mentioned it yet. Even though the 'biggest fans' of that song might not love them quite as much as the hardcore Bohemian Rhapsody fans, I think it covers a way wider range of people who enjoy - or rather, accept - it.

No one has mentioned it cause no one likes it....  :biggrin:

Never heard of it...

Same.  Or Outkast at all, for that matter.  I think for it to qualify as "universally accepted and liked," it goes without saying that people have to have actually heard of it.  :lol
It's undoubtedly one of the most widely accepted songs in pop culture of the last 15 years or so. I don't really base my nomination on whether you happen to know it. This thread is not a contest of how many DTF members have heard of a certain song, I'm trying to look at the question fom a more realistic point of view since I have the idea that some seem to narrow it down to just rock music. There are plenty of songs originating from the rock-scene that appear on a list of "most universally accepted/liked songs", but there's a severe lack of mentions of pop music.

Universally liked on a rock forum is a little differant than universally loved.
Basically these are my sentiments
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »

I think (one of) the most universally liked song(s) is Hey Ya! by Outkast, I'm shocked no one has mentioned it yet. Even though the 'biggest fans' of that song might not love them quite as much as the hardcore Bohemian Rhapsody fans, I think it covers a way wider range of people who enjoy - or rather, accept - it.

Never heard of it...

Same.  Or Outkast at all, for that matter.  I think for it to qualify as "universally accepted and liked," it goes without saying that people have to have actually heard of it.  :lol
It's undoubtedly one of the most widely accepted songs in pop culture of the last 15 years or so.

I understand those words, but I don't think they mean what you think they mean.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »
We Will Rock You.

Laughed when you mentioned 'We will rock you'.  My 2 year old granddaughter tries to sing to this song and has the drum parts down pretty well with her feet.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »
Right, but that goes for Bohemian Rhapsody as well.

As I said in the op, every one at a Kanye West concert knew the words (they had to, Kanye sure as fuck couldn't sing it...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocCYI7aJ9aw

(come to think of it, I think this video was from a large Euro rock festival)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »
I'm not disputing that a lot of people know BR, I just wanted to throw in some songs that might be (or not?) widely known. And it's not that I've listed only rock songs.

We Are The Champions is played at every major sports event. In every bar or pub that I know when Thunderstruck is played everybody goes "ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha THUNDER" and that's not only rock fans.

My old folks know nothing about rock or pop and certainly have never heard of Bohemian Rhapsody but they can sing along to Yesterday.

So maybe these songs aren't as universally known as BR, but they certainly aren't limited to being only liked on a rock forum.

Besides a lot of those songs are still played on mainstream radio, whereas I've never heard BR on the radio, but maybe I'm listening to the wrong stations.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:36:57 PM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
It got me to thinking that this song has crossed generations and genres like few others, to the point where you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't have at least passing familiarity with it.

If I understand lonestar's OP properly, I think maybe the bolded bit above is what he's looking for.

I was trying to think of songs that both my parents and my kids would know. As an experiment, I let the kids hear Hound Dog and Singing In The Rain, and they knew both of them straight away. Whether they're universally liked or not is another thing, but it's those kinds of songs that seem to be known across generations.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »
Having hosted many college age students from across the globe for a day or two over the years via a local university, they have all known 'We Will Rock You', 'We Are The Champions', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', .....and some have sung aloud the 'Ready, Freddie' line during 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'. 

I should test them on 'Hey Jude' and 'She Loves You', as well as 'Thriller'.

(fyi....there are no drums in the slow studio version of WWRY)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
I'm not disputing that a lot of people know BR, I just wanted to throw in some songs that might be (or not?) widely known. And it's not that I've listed only rock songs.

We Are The Champions is played at every major sports event. In every bar or pub that I know when Thunderstruck is played everybody goes "ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha THUNDER" and that's not only rock fans.

My old folks know nothing about rock or pop and certainly have never heard of Bohemian Rhapsody but they can sing along to Yesterday.

So maybe these songs aren't as universally known as BR, but they certainly aren't limited to being only liked on a rock forum.

Besides a lot of those songs are still played on mainstream radio, whereas I've never heard BR on the radio, but maybe I'm listening to the wrong stations.

If sporting events are the criteria, then Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll Part 1 is just as often played as "We Will Rock You". 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
We Will Rock You.

I've always preferred the fast version on Live Killers.
Hell yeah.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
Having hosted many college age students from across the globe for a day or two over the years via a local university, they have all known 'We Will Rock You', 'We Are The Champions', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', .....and some have sung aloud the 'Ready, Freddie' line during 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'. 

I should test them on 'Hey Jude' and 'She Loves You', as well as 'Thriller'.

(fyi....there are no drums in the slow studio version of WWRY)

Yes no drums.  I meant the stomping feet sound maybe on hardwood floors.  Was it the roadies that were participating on we will rock you?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
It got me to thinking that this song has crossed generations and genres like few others, to the point where you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't have at least passing familiarity with it.

If I understand lonestar's OP properly, I think maybe the bolded bit above is what he's looking for.

Pretty much...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »

If we are counting sporting events, I have to think that White Stripes' Seven Nation Army has got to be up there.  People may not know the song name or the band, but they got to know that melody and chant along.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
I wonder what the most universally hated song is, too  :corn

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:55 PM »

I'm sure Nickelback or Linkin Park or Creed is somehow in the race for it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 06:47:31 PM »
Except most people outside of Rock forums are mostly OK with those bands.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2017, 05:59:40 AM »
When I saw that video (Green Day crowd), this was one of the first things I thought of - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=6678.0

As for others that meet RJ's criteria (that haven't been mentioned)

Wild Thing
You Shook Me All Night Long
Hotel California
Livin on a Prayer
In The Air Tonight
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2017, 06:13:40 AM »
Beat It

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2017, 07:23:38 AM »

I'm sure Nickelback or Linkin Park or Creed is somehow in the race for it.

Rick Astley might have something to say about that...
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:34 AM »
 :D

Well, one can add to the list 'Rock 'n Roll All Night', 'Wipeout', 'Louie, Louie', 'The Chicken Dance' as to recognizable....

Gary Glitter's track used to be played after the IHL's Saginaw Gears scored a goal.  Their 'Gear-illa' mascot would come out onto the ice with this song playing after a goal.  Saginaw's head coach ended up with the LA Kings, and began the tradition of playing that $%@! song after King goals.

As to WWRY....back in the day, we had an acquaintance who thought he was king sh*t on drums and vocals.  We always joked that he'd excel on that track, as well as being far superior to Jeff Beck as a singer......
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:35:39 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2017, 10:31:17 AM »
When I saw that video (Green Day crowd), this was one of the first things I thought of - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=6678.0

As for others that meet RJ's criteria (that haven't been mentioned)

Wild Thing
You Shook Me All Night Long
Hotel California
Livin on a Prayer
In The Air Tonight
Yeah, I think most of those are good candidates as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
I was pretty certain that the song that closed out the Lamb Chops show was the most popular and sung song in the universe.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »

Never heard of it...

It's undoubtedly one of the most widely accepted songs in pop culture of the last 15 years or so. I don't really base my nomination on whether you happen to know it. This thread is not a contest of how many DTF members have heard of a certain song, I'm trying to look at the question fom a more realistic point of view since I have the idea that some seem to narrow it down to just rock music. There are plenty of songs originating from the rock-scene that appear on a list of "most universally accepted/liked songs", but there's a severe lack of mentions of pop music.

I hate that fucking song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
Never heard of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »

Never heard of it...

I hate that fucking song.

i really like that song. like i wouldnt ever buy one of their albums but i get excited if i hear it on the radio

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »
I was pretty certain that the song that closed out the Lamb Chops show was the most popular and sung song in the universe.

That better not get stuck in my head bro...

(actually, back when my kid was very young, we would torture my then wife by marching around the house singing it, good times man...)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »

That better not get stuck in my head bro...

Don't worry about it, I'm sure it will get unstuck once you finish singing it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:15 PM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2017, 08:11:10 AM »
My late dad, bless his soul, always hated Bohemian Rhapsody with a passion, so those people are out there. I think We Are The Champions is much more widely known and loved.

Recently, I think loads of people really liked Uptown Funk. I don't know anyone who heard it and didn't like it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »
Recently, I think loads of people really liked Uptown Funk. I don't know anyone who heard it and didn't like it.

Yeah, good call.  But I think it's still too new to fit what RJ was really getting at.  I think the song has to have been around long enough that it has become a permanent fixture of pop culture across generations, which a lot of the songs mentioned thus far in the thread have.  I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if Uptown Funk eventually achieves that status, in light of its almost-universal appeal.  Not a knock on the song, but I just don't think it's there yet, simply by virtue of when it was released.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2017, 10:45:32 PM »
One that I do not think has been mentioned that has to be up there is:

Piano Man