Author Topic: A job I only worked at 3 weeks is trying to not pay me.  (Read 1184 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
A job I only worked at 3 weeks is trying to not pay me.
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
I left my job of nearly 5 years to work at a thoroughly shitty job that fired me because I wasn't as competent at my job as the two other employees in my department who'd been there two months longer than I was. They literally had all 3 of their former techs get fired or quit within a month or two of each other.

My firing occurred 8 days ago and today was the day I would've gotten my check via direct deposit. I still haven't gotten my check in the mail (the manner they told me I'd receive it) and today is the day I normally would've gotten it via direct deposit.

Should I call them and record it? According to what I read online, the shithole known as Florida doesn't have the same 72 hour requirement to pay terminated employees that other states do. How do I handle this?

Also, I don't have a hard copy of my hours worked or anything to prove what I worked. I guess I dropped the ball on that one.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: A job I only worked at 3 weeks is trying to not pay me.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »
I left my job of nearly 5 years to work at a thoroughly shitty job that fired me because I wasn't as competent at my job as the two other employees in my department who'd been there two months longer than I was. They literally had all 3 of their former techs get fired or quit within a month or two of each other.

My firing occurred 8 days ago and today was the day I would've gotten my check via direct deposit. I still haven't gotten my check in the mail (the manner they told me I'd receive it) and today is the day I normally would've gotten it via direct deposit.

Should I call them and record it? According to what I read online, the shithole known as Florida doesn't have the same 72 hour requirement to pay terminated employees that other states do. How do I handle this?

Also, I don't have a hard copy of my hours worked or anything to prove what I worked. I guess I dropped the ball on that one.

I'd call right now.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
Yeah, but I don't know if I should (or am even allowed to) record it. That's something that could heavily factor into things.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »
Yeah, but I don't know if I should (or am even allowed to) record it. That's something that could heavily factor into things.

No one will stop you from recording, but not sure if that recording can be used in any legal manner.  But you should call, and try to be polite even though Im sure you want to rip them apart. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »

No one will stop you from recording, but not sure if that recording can be used in any legal manner.  But you should call, and try to be polite even though Im sure you want to rip them apart. 

This

And if they blow you off or whatever, Contact your Labor Board. I found that companies tend to cooperate once they have the Labor Board breathing down their necks.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
Thanks y'all.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:26:40 AM »
If you want, I'll fly out there and go right in and demand your money.

But you'd have to pay my flight. And give me a place to stay for a night or 2. And I'd also require sexual favors
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
The only reason I would hesitate to record someone without their knowledge or consent is because I don't like jail.  And since my understanding is that Florida is one of those states that makes it a crime to record someone without their knowledge or consent, then if you share my love of not going to jail, I might hesitate if I were in your shoes.

Obviously, I'm not an expert on Florida law or the Florida criminal justice system, but that's my two cents.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 11:35:12 AM »
The amount of money employers take from their employees each year–by refusing to pay overtime or misclassifying workers so they don’t get minimum wage–is larger than the value of all the theft by criminals.

Edit: added source for Bosk-

https://www.epi.org/publication/employers-steal-billions-from-workers-paychecks-each-year-survey-data-show-millions-of-workers-are-paid-less-than-the-minimum-wage-at-significant-cost-to-taxpayers-and-state-economies/#epi-toc-1

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:09:12 PM by jasc15 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
Looks like a VERY respectable website.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »
hey they use .com

only wannabes use .org

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
Yeah, and not classifying work as "overtime", in accordance with the law, is not the same as "refusing to pay overtime and calling it a crime".   

Anyhow, Bosk is, to my understanding, correct; Florida is, like my home state CT, a "two-party consent" state, whereby you can't record a conversation (even one you are involved in) unless the other party has knowledge and consents.

I would still call, though, and I would not hesitate to contact the Labor Board as noted here. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 11:14:07 PM »
Drive to Texas, where recording anyone is legal (rather, it requires consent from one party, and you, the recorder, being a party...counts  :lol :lol ), and record them and then go back to Florida.

Totally worth it.

Really though...it kind of sounds like you not having hard copies is the end of the line if recording isn't an option and they just decide to screw you over, sadly.

I started being diligent keeping my hard copies of clock out receipts after my company "accidentally" screwed up my paycheck and just so happened to not log a day that I worked... a day where I made a fucking insane amount of money on events and randomly great tips. That was my lesson considering I nearly didn't get that money... Try your best but like Bosk said, don't make it worse.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.