Author Topic: JP wants to use 8 string guitar on next DT album  (Read 7387 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: JP wants to use 8 string guitar on next DT album
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
^ Hilarious!! :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2017, 10:34:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dky0ekeuuKA

Saw this earlier looking for 8-string guitar videos :lol
Hahaha, 666 gauge or something ;) Anyway, I totally agree with this
If the songs are good, I could care less about the number of strings on his guitar.  He shouldn't either.  It seems like such a pandering comment to make.  "I want to use [insert wankery term here] on the next album."  Please just write a kickass album.  Otherwise, I wish his guitar had no strings.  It'd be just as good.
Totally agree, no better words to say that.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 05:16:17 AM »
It will be interesting what he can do with an 8 string guitar. Perhaps some more heavy stuff coming.

And she listens openly

Offline PetFish

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
If the songs are good, I could care less about the number of strings on his guitar.  He shouldn't either.  It seems like such a pandering comment to make.  "I want to use [insert wankery term here] on the next album."  Please just write a kickass album.  Otherwise, I wish his guitar had no strings.  It'd be just as good.

I agree with this and always cringe whenever people are like "JM should use the stick more/again".  Why?  Just for the sake of using it?  If you watch any videos of him playing it he mostly plays it just like a bass anyway so there's no point other than the "gadget factor".

I was always worried about JR and his gadgets cuz it would turn into "I wonder what crazy gadget JR will use on the next album", which is kind of what it ended up being anyway, which takes away from the music itself since people will be looking for the gadget as opposed to listening to the music.

Just leave the gadgets to bands like Muse.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 09:39:21 PM »
i'll take anything that would make DT's music sound different than the norm

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
i'll take anything that would make DT's music sound different than the norm

Who knows maybe he will use a ukelele in the next album for that Kum Ba ya! moment!
And she listens openly

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 06:38:50 PM »
I'm hoping for a new DT heaviest moment!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »
I just want the album to be released in mid 2018, and not early 2019. It's such a long wait  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
About a thread with tunings for DT songs, this a very good idea ;)

No need for that thread. All DT guitar tunings by song.

https://www3.sympatico.ca/phlip/DreamTheaterGuitarTunings.html

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »

This!

My feeling is that the goal of any band should be to write great music. I want to hear riffs so good that they help my jog last 30 minutes longer. I want to hear vocals so good that they make me contemplate a career as a karaoke singer. Writing music that is different and unexpected is a useful trick for reaching that goal, but it should not be the goal, if that makes sense. Having specific expectations for any album seems like a recipe for disappointment, at least to me.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »
I just want the album to be released in mid 2018, and not early 2019. It's such a long wait  :'(

If during this period off tour each member of DT has got the opportunity to write some material maybe we could expect DT14 to come out in September/October 2018. So in summer they can elaborate all the ideas they came up with.. But yes, it IS gonna be a long wait.  :'(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2017, 12:27:25 PM »

This!

My feeling is that the goal of any band should be to write great music. I want to hear riffs so good that they help my jog last 30 minutes longer. I want to hear vocals so good that they make me contemplate a career as a karaoke singer. Writing music that is different and unexpected is a useful trick for reaching that goal, but it should not be the goal, if that makes sense. Having specific expectations for any album seems like a recipe for disappointment, at least to me.

Well, I tend to agree.  But I also have to say that it's not like JP put himself out there as promoting the album or trying to generate interest by putting out a press release about his new 8-string or something like that.  He's using one, and Ultimate Guitar apparently asked him about it and put the information out there.  So, again, it's not like he is trying to create a certain expectation or as if the goal is anything but writing great music. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »

If during this period off tour each member of DT has got the opportunity to write some material maybe we could expect DT14 to come out in September/October 2018. So in summer they can elaborate all the ideas they came up with.. But yes, it IS gonna be a long wait.  :'(

But that's not how DT works at all, they like to write in the studio, that's why they take that much time in the studio  :-[
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2017, 01:13:04 PM »

But that's not how DT works at all, they like to write in the studio, that's why they take that much time in the studio  :-[

Yeah you're right about that. But I wonder if they already have some ideas. I saw recently a video of Jordan playing a short solo on twitter.. But yeah, until we receive updates it's hard to speculate when it will actually come out. Even LaBrie wasn't sure if DT14 will come out in fall 2018.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »

Yeah you're right about that. But I wonder if they already have some ideas. I saw recently a video of Jordan playing a short solo on twitter.. But yeah, until we receive updates it's hard to speculate when it will actually come out. Even LaBrie wasn't sure if DT14 will come out in fall 2018.

All I know is MM has been writing material for both his solo album and the new DT album, we just don't know how much of that will actually end up being used.

Jordan is currently recording a new prog solo album (he's posted a few snippets of it on facebook), so I don't think he's had time to write new DT music.

Myung might have been writing, but he's always so silent that I doubt even his family knows what he does on his free time  :biggrin:

James doesn't (directly) take part on the writing of the music, so I doubt he's been working on something DT-related. Also, he's confirmed he has a new solo album in the works, so he should be focused on that for the first few months of 2018.

And then there's JP, who I think is safe to assume has been writing something, but he seems to be so fixed on the "most of the material should come from the jams at the studio" mentality, that we just don't know what to expect. I just hope that, meanwhile, he finally gets to work on his 2nd solo album, which seems to be slated for release "sometime after Tool releases their next album"  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 12:43:40 AM »
I finally watched that Captain interview with Petrucci. I think it's very interesting that Petrucci hadn't even played an 8-string at least up until that interview but he had already decided that he woulod play an 8-string on the next album.

Awake didn't sound like any of the 7-string stuff going on in the '90s. Then again there wasn't a hole lot of 7-string music back then. Nevertheless I have hope that the next DT album won't sound too much like any of the modern bands that do the 8-string chug thing.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
I finally watched that Captain interview with Petrucci. I think it's very interesting that Petrucci hadn't even played an 8-string at least up until that interview but he had already decided that he woulod play an 8-string on the next album.

I'm sure he's at least messed around with one.  There doesn't need to be any official footage or audio of him playing one for it to be "real".  Haven't all of us slingers at least picked one up in Ye Olde Luthier Shop?  I doubt he'd just say something like that out of the blue.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »
I think anything below about A1 sounds fucking gross distorted.

Please no 8-string unless it's multi-scale with a high A.