Author Topic: Rate my DT Playlist....  (Read 1268 times)

Offline lilces19

Rate my DT Playlist....
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »
So I have finally gotten around to making a playlist of one of my favorite Prog Metal bands Dream Theater. I had to whittle my favorites down to only 20 songs. A few notes: 1. SFAM is my favorite DT album and I could not just choose one song from that record as it truly has to be listened as a whole (regardless of what some say about “Home” and “The Dance of Eternity”); that being said I included “Overture 1928” cause I could not leave that album completely unrepresented 2. There is no Dominici content 3. There is essentially no post-Portnoy content as I believe the band definitely lost a step since his departure (the only exception is “Breaking All Illusions” which is an incredible song) 4. This playlist is meant to be heard in order as there are musical and/or thematic links throughout. Please remember that this is a list of my FAVORITE DT songs not a “Best Of” list (we can argue and debate such a list for days); that being said, setup this list, take a listen and give me your constructive feedback!!

1. Metropolis Part I: The Miracle and the Sleeper
2. Overture 1928
3. 6:00
4. Under a Glass Moon
5. Panic Attack
6. Space-Dye Vest
7. The Mirror
8. The Glass Prison
9. This Dying Soul
10. Another Day
11. These Walls
12. The Count of Tuscany
13. Stream of Consciousness
14. In the Name of God
15. Sacrificed Sons
16. Trial of Tears
17. Breaking All Illusions
18. Erotomania
19. A Change of Seasons
20. Octavarium

BTW, see everyone at the Beacon in November!!!

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Rate my DT Playlist....
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:03:52 AM »
It has a nice flow. It goes epics-heavy towards the end but that's inevitable I guess. All the songs are great, also. The only thing I dislike is Overture 1928 not going into Strange Deja Vu, that has to happen  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 02:51:31 AM »
Nice, I like the heavy part from The Mirror to This Dying Soul  :metal and in the end it's getting into longer tracks, so it's similar to DT most records ;) and yeah, the ending of Overture 1928 is definitly interesting when You connect it with the beginning of 6:00  :biggrin:

Offline lilces19

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 06:58:04 AM »
Yes, not hearing Strange Deja Vu right after 1928 is strange (pun intended), but you hit the nail right on the head with the drum intro to 6:00 it makes kinda a cool (intended) transition.....

Offline lilces19

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »
Any one else want to give their two cents?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »
Its pretty good. Epic heavy at the end but not bad...think I'll try my hand at a 20 song playlist. Haven't done one since ADTOE came out.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lilces19

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:55:42 AM »
Sweet thanks.... Yea I def wanted to keep it at 20 so I had to make some hard cuts (Learning to Live, Illumination Theory, In the Presence of Enemies 1+2 to name a few); but I have been rocking it for the last few weeks and it definitely gets me amped. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
At least you got your money's worth, time wise ;)

I'm older, less metal-ish, so half of your list would not fit me.  But, that is Dream Theater.  As long as you enjoy it, that is what counts!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 12:21:03 AM »
I like how you end things with a sedative. That's how I wrap up my evening, too.

Offline lilces19

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »
Hahahah!! Good one! That song is awesome man, come on!

Offline Cable

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »
I'd replace UAGM for LTL, otherwise great song choice from my view! Like seeing TCOT getting some attention. Flow wise, i would take at least one of the final 7 epics (seven out of 8 at the end), and put it/them near the beginning. You don't want to break up Mirror-TDS, and you have a five song run of shorter songs at the beginning. I would even say one maybe between AD and TW.
---

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »
Looks good.  Any playlist with ACOS, 8VM & BAI is a winner in my book.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White