Author Topic: What Makes A Good Band Name?  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
What Makes A Good Band Name?
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:15:24 PM »
Inspired by Mike Portnoy's new band thread. Personally, I don't think Sons of Apollo is a bad name. Run of the mill Rock or Metal band name maybe, but not bad. But what makes a good band name? While it's all subjective, some names can be leaning more on the objective side of good or bad. Again, it really comes down to personal preference and opinion, so there isn't really a wrong answer, but it might make for an interesting discussion. Lets try not to sling too much mud though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: What Makes A Good Band Name?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:21:56 PM »
I think the best names are the ones that are simple and don't sound like they are trying too hard.

Also, any band name where they just throw the word band or group at the end of one band member's name is lame and unimaginative.  Yes, I am looking at you, Neal Morse Band and Dave Matthews Band (both of whom I am a fan of). :lol :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 08:23:21 PM »
I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember once stumbling across a pretty complicated mathematical formula to create the perfect band name.

Not sure of the details, but apparently a short cut was to include a word that truly speaks to the audience. So for prog fans, a very pretentious word.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:27:09 PM »
"Good" is subjective, therefore it depends on the person, not on the name.

I couldn't care less what a band is called as long as they make music that I enjoy.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »
I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember once stumbling across a pretty complicated mathematical formula to create the perfect band name.

Not sure of the details, but apparently a short cut was to include a word that truly speaks to the audience. So for prog fans, a very pretentious word.

I was actually thinking of starting another thread asking what makes a band pretentious.

Online Adami

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »

I was actually thinking of starting another thread asking what makes a band pretentious.

I'd explain it, but it'd just go over your head.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 09:20:01 PM »

Is there a direct correlation between being pretentious and a condescending prick?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »
he is ironically being pretentious as a joke

anyways i couldn't tell you what makes a good band name because unless the band name is bad i barely notice it

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »

Is there a direct correlation between being pretentious and a condescending prick?

Well, yes I'd say there is, but Parama was right, I was just jokingly being pretentious.

I thought we were better connected than this!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 10:44:57 PM »
I think the best names are the ones that are simple and don't sound like they are trying too hard.

Also, any band name where they just throw the word band or group at the end of one band member's name is lame and unimaginative.  Yes, I am looking at you, Neal Morse Band and Dave Matthews Band (both of whom I am a fan of). :lol :lol

I am a huge fan of the Zac Brown Band, but even though there are eight guys in the band, playing all kinds of instruments, I can't imagine them being called something else now.  Heck, in hindsight, I'm surprised Foo Fighters isn't really called the Dave Grohl band and even Dave Grohl thought the name, Foo Fighters, was a really crappy name and he thought if they ended being so damn big, he would have named it something else.

Now going back to what makes a name.  There can be a lot of parameters on what makes a good band name.  It can be something captivating that may have some deeper meaning to it like Alter Bridge (where, according to Mark Tremonti, the meaning of it was based on a bridge named Alter Road in Michigan that the kids could not cross since there were so many unpredictable and dangerous things across the bridge).  Heck, Mark Tremonti initially thought up the phrase One Day Remains as a band name, but that just ended up the title of the debut album (but what a great album that is).

Or it can be a simple word like Rush.  One word, but that word became very synonymous with a great band that had a great journey.  Or a name can be an interesting way to incorporate all the band members in a name like Sixx: A.M.  On the surface, it seems like a compelling name that should have a lot of meaning, but on the inside, it was just the lead member's last name with the other initials being the other two guys in the band.

There are just no boundaries to what makes a good name.  Heck, I find the name Butthole Surfers to be a terrible name, but I'm sure they had made some pretty compelling and serious music in their time.  The band name Five Finger Death Punch, though.......

I don't even know where I'm going with this.  Just my stream of consciousness.......

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 12:15:01 AM »

Well, yes I'd say there is, but Parama was right, I was just jokingly being pretentious.

Me too...   :'(

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 01:07:41 AM »
Since it's all subjective it's hard to give general suggestions, but I'd say it would have to sound, well, nice, and once you listen to the band, to "get it" in a sense. I mean, you may be saying "Why this band is called this way", but if you don't feel the name suits the music, then the name is wrong or at the very least weird.

Dream Theater fits DT's music, Glasser for example it doesn't. And now that I think of it... what does Glasser even mean?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 01:08:36 AM »

Me too...   :'(

Sounds like we need a romantic night together blasting Burnt Offerings.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 03:28:32 AM »
For me, Sons of Apollo is a bad name on all levels. First of all, 50-something men calling themselves "sons" rubs me the wrong way. While there's nothing logically wrong with it, it still spawns a dissonant image in my brain. Also, if ad absurdum the band made it huge, they'd probably be referred to as just "The Sons." Secondly, Apollo is a way too generic figure for it to have any significant meaning. I mean, I get the thought process, he's the god of music (and a million other things), whoopty doo. Still meaningless.

Compare it to Children of Bodom, for instance, a similar name. They were basically kids when they started out, so "children" is fitting. "Bodom" is way more specific and personal, it ties in with their home country, has a sinister backstory to it which the band captured with their sound and lyrics.

When it comes to good band names, the most important thing is that is has to have a zing, it has to sound cool. The meaning of the words is secondary, it can be gibberish, but if it sounds cool, it's a good name (Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zeppelin). Try saying those out loud, they have a nice ring, rhythm and flow to them. Saying "Sons of Apollo" out loud makes me cringe.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 07:33:30 AM »
Sounds like we need a romantic night together blasting Burnt Offerings.

Come to me, my demon brother.

For me, Sons of Apollo is a bad name on all levels. First of all, 50-something men calling themselves "sons" rubs me the wrong way. While there's nothing logically wrong with it, it still spawns a dissonant image in my brain. Also, if ad absurdum the band made it huge, they'd probably be referred to as just "The Sons." Secondly, Apollo is a way too generic figure for it to have any significant meaning. I mean, I get the thought process, he's the god of music (and a million other things), whoopty doo. Still meaningless.

Compare it to Children of Bodom, for instance, a similar name. They were basically kids when they started out, so "children" is fitting. "Bodom" is way more specific and personal, it ties in with their home country, has a sinister backstory to it which the band captured with their sound and lyrics.

When it comes to good band names, the most important thing is that is has to have a zing, it has to sound cool. The meaning of the words is secondary, it can be gibberish, but if it sounds cool, it's a good name (Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zeppelin). Try saying those out loud, they have a nice ring, rhythm and flow to them. Saying "Sons of Apollo" out loud makes me cringe.

What does age matter though? 50 year olds can still be sons. Their name certainly isn't as cool as the ones you mentioned, and they'd probably fit right in at Frontiers Records, but I don't think it's as bad as some of the names on that label. I don't know, I think some of you are exaggerating a bit. What if the album turns out to be awesome? Will you still be embarrassed of the band name?

For the record, I don't think Adrenaline Mob is a good band name. It's silly. I do think Disturbed is a good name, but it really only fits the style of their first album.

Online Skeever

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »
A good name any that people will remember because it immediately associates with some kind of image or thought.

The worst kind of name is some obscure latin word/phrase that no one can pronounce or understand but sounds "deep"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 08:10:04 AM »
^^^ Couldn't disagree more.  It's not possible to disagree with that any more than I do.

I think "Sons of Apollo" is a legendary name.    Five musicos that are "sons" in the euphemistic sense of the god of Music?   Perfect.

It IS subjective, but I always lean to the epic when it comes to band names:
Led Zeppelin (Best band name ever)
Pearl Jam
Deep Purple
Judas Priest
Cheap Trick
Mother Love Bone

I can't stand jokey, 'in joke' names like:
Hoobastank (Worst band name ever)
Meshuggah
Blink-182
Butthole Surfers (though I love the band)

I don't like names that seem made up to show genre cred:
Megadeth
Metallica (though love the band)
Cannibal Corpse

Offline Art

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 08:18:06 AM »
Sons of Apollo is cheesy as hell. But if the music is good, i can get over the name.

In a related story, there are some bands with such cool names that you wish you'd like them more.

Like "Spaceslug". Awesome name, just a barely ok stoner band.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
Extreme bands sometimes try too hard to be "evil" in their name. Like the infamous band that came to fame because a member disrespected Dimebag's burial site, "Nuclear Hellfrost"... geez, you're trying too hard  :lol

Also prog metal bands however can fall in the "trying too hard (to be clever)" category... for example, not a band name but an album name, I don't reall like James LaBrie's latest solo albums titles. Both "Static Impulse" and "Impermanent Resonance" sound just generic "clever" combinations of words.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »
What Makes A Good Band Name?

Luck. Plain and simple luck. You come up with something you think is cool, and if you're lucky, and get some notoriety, the band name ends up working out.

I've heard much worse than Sons of Apollo. It is not a terrible band name, nor is it a particularly good one (to me). But if the record slays, people tend to not be so critical of band names...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
Extreme bands sometimes try too hard to be "evil" in their name. Like the infamous band that came to fame because a member disrespected Dimebag's burial site, "Nuclear Hellfrost"... geez, you're trying too hard  :lol

If the band is brutal death metal, I think Nuclear Hellfrost fits perfectly. It's why I came up with KrotchRaut. We were parodying death metal, and we needed a brutal, over the top name. What is more brutal than crotch rot? I think certain band names should fit the style of music being played. Disturbed was a perfect name for the band with The Sickness, but by only the second album didn't quite fit anymore. Sure Draiman was still doing monkey calls, but the music had already changed, and was more streamlined Alternative Metal. Stone Sour doesn't really mean anything so their music could be anything. I think that's a good name too. A bit strange, but well, it's not Hoobastank. I do agree prog bands tend to turn to the band name generator, but at least they aren't just adding "ia" at the end of a gothically sounding word. I like Goth Metal when done right (see: Rainover) but the band names alone make me not even want to sample their music.

Mortemia, Xandria, Sirenia, Tristania, Delirium Cordia, Satcconnia, Maledia, Adastreia, Angizia, Clapatria. That's only a few. It's bad enough most Goth metal bands are still doing that tired Beauty and the Beast gimmick.

But this is about good band names.

ICED EARTH  :metal :metal :biggrin:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 09:39:50 AM »
Mortemia, Xandria, Sirenia, Tristania, Delirium Cordia, Satcconnia, Maledia, Adastreia, Angizia, Clapatria. That's only a few. It's bad enough most Goth metal bands are still doing that tired Beauty and the Beast gimmick.

I see that band name, and I won't even bother.  It's not about "open mind"; I have a plenty open mind (my current album of the year pick is Harry Styles' new album, I saw Luke Bryan and Keith Urban earlier this year, and I just saw Maiden last week.   Going to see Neal Morse, Shattered Fortress, Dee Snider, AWR and UFO in the coming two months) it's just that there is SO much music out there, I need something to get me to open the door, and those band names won't do it.   

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
Since it's all subjective it's hard to give general suggestions, but I'd say it would have to sound, well, nice, and once you listen to the band, to "get it" in a sense. I mean, you may be saying "Why this band is called this way", but if you don't feel the name suits the music, then the name is wrong or at the very least weird.

Dream Theater fits DT's music, Glasser for example it doesn't. And now that I think of it... what does Glasser even mean?

This is how I feel, it's about what music they make. My Shiny Unicorn would be a terrible band name for a death metal band, but might work for a Power Metal one or it may be a great band name for a teen pop band
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »

I see that band name, and I won't even bother.  It's not about "open mind"; I have a plenty open mind (my current album of the year pick is Harry Styles' new album, I saw Luke Bryan and Keith Urban earlier this year, and I just saw Maiden last week.   Going to see Neal Morse, Shattered Fortress, Dee Snider, AWR and UFO in the coming two months) it's just that there is SO much music out there, I need something to get me to open the door, and those band names won't do it.   

Shattered Fortress is actually a really cool band name. Too bad it's related to Dream Theater. If Mike were to start a new band and use that name, he'd never hear the end of it. Even if the split was on good terms, he'd be criticized. Operation: Mindcrime is one the greatest albums of all time, but Geoff chose poorly with that one. I get it, the concept is his baby, but to name the band that? The guy that keeps making variations of Rhapsody, it's time for something new.

Nemesea (Nem ess ie, Nem uh sea) is another female fronted gothic, alternative rock band. Strange name, but doesn't fall victim to the "ia" plague. I think it's a good one. Delain got their name from a Stephen King novel. I'm actually not too thrilled on their name, but I love the band. It just doesn't quite roll of the tongue, although it's very easy to say.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 09:55:27 AM »

This is how I feel, it's about what music they make. My Shiny Unicorn would be a terrible band name for a death metal band, but might work for a Power Metal one or it may be a great band name for a teen pop band

Actually, that's a name you'd see a metalcore or hardcore band use.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 10:48:33 AM »

:lol, that shows you how much I know about those genres
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »
Probably a band name that hasn't been used before...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »

What does age matter though? 50 year olds can still be sons. Their name certainly isn't as cool as the ones you mentioned, and they'd probably fit right in at Frontiers Records, but I don't think it's as bad as some of the names on that label. I don't know, I think some of you are exaggerating a bit. What if the album turns out to be awesome? Will you still be embarrassed of the band name?

For the record, I don't think Adrenaline Mob is a good band name. It's silly. I do think Disturbed is a good name, but it really only fits the style of their first album.
I feel like you didn't even read what I wrote. I said that "logically there's nothing wrong with the name," of course 50-year-olds can be (and, in fact, are) sons, it just doesn't ring right for me. I also never said anything about the name of the band having any bearing on the music itself, whatsoever. If the music's good, they can be called Mike's Porn Toys for all I care.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »

I feel like you didn't even read what I wrote. I said that "logically there's nothing wrong with the name," of course 50-year-olds can be (and, in fact, are) sons, it just doesn't ring right for me. I also never said anything about the name of the band having any bearing on the music itself, whatsoever. If the music's good, they can be called Mike's Porn Toys for all I care.

I guess I don't understand why 50 year olds calling themselves sons would rub someone the wrong way. Is it like the George Carlin bit where grown men shouldn't be calling their fathers "daddy"? I agree with that, but I don't think it's similar at all. The second thing was an addition to the overall conversation and unrelated to your post.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »

-Marc.

Exactly what I was thinking  :lol
That's the thing these days, almost all the cool band names you could think of are already taken, so you have to reach deeper into your choices untill you find one that hasn't been used yet.

:rollin I'm a fan of both bands as well, but I agree with this. Also, I was thinking about this earlier today: MP tries to make a big deal on the NMB being a new thing and not NM solo albums... I mean, I don't know how much of a difference it makes to add the word "band" after the solo artist's name on the band you alredy have. I still consider TGE and TSOAD to be "Neal Morse" albums and have them like that on iTunes.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »

That was also my screen name on the dating sites I joined after my divorce...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
Not to stroke any egos, here, but I find it quite funny that we are currently talking about this topic and Ultimate-Guitar has this here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/articles/features/wednesday_question_best_band_name_ever-65225

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 06:12:42 AM »

-Marc.
That's a good start :P

I think if you're starting a new band and want to get noticed, the smartest thing to do is to pick a made up word or some kind of play on words as your band name - Dan Swanö said this was the reason he named his project Witherscape. If you choose a generic name like Dark Hell, you won't get a lot of Google hits. Of course a pun-based or unusual band name isn't automatically good, but it's also less likely to already be in use.

I think compactness is a plus (didn't Yes choose their name because it could be printed bigger in gig posters due to having only 3 letters?) - a name like Rush is short, punchy and easy to remember, but 2- or 3-word names can be abbreviated easily so it's not a must. To me the worst names are the overlong and ridiculous ones that modern metal(core) bands seem to be obsessed with, like We Butter Our Bread with Butter (really?) and Arsonists Get All the Girls.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 06:35:30 AM »

But you simultaneously argued that 40-year-olds being called "Children" was perfectly fine.

Personally, I don't really care about band names. Once you get to know a band, its name becomes associated with its music and no longer matters. There are plenty of very popular prog bands with far sillier names that Sons of Apollo (Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings) but it's completely irrelevant.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 07:23:26 AM »

-Marc.
That's a good start :P

I think if you're starting a new band and want to get noticed, the smartest thing to do is to pick a made up word or some kind of play on words as your band name - Dan Swanö said this was the reason he named his project Witherscape. If you choose a generic name like Dark Hell, you won't get a lot of Google hits. Of course a pun-based or unusual band name isn't automatically good, but it's also less likely to already be in use.

I think compactness is a plus (didn't Yes choose their name because it could be printed bigger in gig posters due to having only 3 letters?) - a name like Rush is short, punchy and easy to remember, but 2- or 3-word names can be abbreviated easily so it's not a must. To me the worst names are the overlong and ridiculous ones that modern metal(core) bands seem to be obsessed with, like We Butter Our Bread with Butter (really?) and Arsonists Get All the Girls.

"... And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead". 
"I Love You But I Choose Darkness" (or something like that)

I'm also not a fan of the three world alternative method for selecting band names:
"Olivia Tremor Control"
"Neutral Milk Hotel"
"Some Velvet Sidewalk"
"Stone Temple Pilots"