Poll

?

Dream Theater
Shattered Fortress
*Neutral response*

Author Topic: Would you rather see Dream Theater or Shattered Fortress  (Read 7070 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Would you rather see Dream Theater or Shattered Fortress
« on: July 31, 2017, 03:01:24 AM »
So, both Dream Theater & Shattered Fortress are playing in my area over the next few months. I'm fairly certain my parents would only let me go to one (idk I haven't asked yet), but if given the option to only choose one, which one would you rather go to?

I have a feeling that I already know what the answer will be, but I just wanted to see how the results will actually turn out  :corn
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Would you rather see Dream Theater or Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 03:10:42 AM »
Dream Theater all the way! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:15:30 AM »
I picked neutral as I would see both but given a hard choice I would go for Shattered Fortress as that is a special event that will not come back.

Dream Theater will return, although with a different setlist in a yer or two.... Shattered Fortress won't.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:31:28 AM »
I've picked Shattered Fortress, I saw DT 9 times, but 0 times AA Suite live ;)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 06:28:47 AM »
I've picked Shattered Fortress, I saw DT 9 times, but 0 times AA Suite live ;)

On the other hand... how many times have you seen Images &Words  in it's entitity with A Change of Seasons as Encore :-)

But I do agree that Shattered Fortress is more unique as an experience... frickin good show too, would love to see it another time just like I have seen Images and Words and beyond  twice.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:48:04 AM »
I have this issue myself.  These days, cash for concerts is at a premium and I can't decide if I want to spring for both.  I already have my DT tix for NJ.  I can't wait to see I&W in its entirety.  Especially after sitting through that TA monstrosity.  But, to see MP play Dream Theater tunes for possibly the last time, especially the 12-Step Suite, is extremely tempting.  I think it's gonna be a last-minute decision for me.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »
DT

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
I'll never see either band live  :'( but I would always choose DT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
DT because of I&W and ACOS. Otherwise TSF for sure.

Offline Jinova

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 05:03:53 AM »
No question, DT!   I have no interest in a Dream Theater cover band.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 07:31:47 AM »
I think it depends on whether you like Images and Words or the 12 Step Suite more.  The Shattered Fortress is definitely a more unique show, but it's also not a 3 hour performance. I guess you just got to weigh all options. 

I would choose DT in this case because I&W is my all time favorite album.  But I also like live music that has more energy and I think TSF brings that moreso than DT does these days.

I'm seeing both this fall so I can get a good comparison, but I'm leaning DT personally, but I can see a reason why someone would choose TSF.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
DT because of I&W and ACOS.

TSF doesn't interest me really....especially since it's not the original line up. I've gleened what I needed from the youtube videos and what not. I'm sure it's a great show....MP is fantastic live and he does entertain well.....but I really only care for (2) of the 12SS songs anyway.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
Both
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 06:51:49 AM »
I picked Shattered Fortress only because it would be the only opportunity to see the 12 Step Suite live.

Offline CincyE

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
No question, DT!   I have no interest in a Dream Theater cover band.

This! Would you rather see a DT wanna-be or the real thing??????.......though I do miss Portnoy in DT.....

Offline powpig

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 10:19:13 AM »
Think I'd rather see Jelly Jam

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 06:55:14 AM »
I picked Shattered Fortress only because it would be the only opportunity to see the 12 Step Suite live.

Would also likely be the only opportunity to see I&W + ACOS live though and for that reason it is an easy choice for me.  I&W is my favourite album ever and ACOS (maybe behind LTL) is my favourite DT song ever and very rarely played.  12 Step Suite songs are not my favourite DT songs so a concert with all of them played together would not be massively appealing to me even if it was the actual DT playing it.  I'm sure it will be fun for those who do like that stuff and fun to see MP playing DT songs again though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »

Would also likely be the only opportunity to see I&W + ACOS live though and for that reason it is an easy choice for me.

Exactly. Also, I don't think they'll ever include too much IAW songs on their sets for future tours. James is stuggling to sing it live, and they've already played these songs quite a lot. This is probably one of the last live run for most of these songs.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »

Would also likely be the only opportunity to see I&W + ACOS live though and for that reason it is an easy choice for me.

Exactly. Also, I don't think they'll ever include too much IAW songs on their sets for future tours. James is stuggling to sing it live, and they've already played these songs quite a lot. This is probably one of the last live run for most of these songs.

That's the way I see it as well.  You never know, but I firmly believe a decent amount of set 2 of this tour will be permanently shelved.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 06:44:29 AM »
Ive seen the tour and he still sang them brilliantly well for the most part so I don't think they will be avoiding this stuff any time soon.  There are songs on there though that very rarely get played anyway.  Long time since I've seen Surrounded or Another Day for example and even Metropolis has not been played at any shows I've been to for a long time although that is more down to bad luck as I know it has been played elsewhere.  I don't see them ever going back and playing the full album though especially with ACOS added on.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »
DT by a long mile. To me it's a bit like asking "do you want to see Pink Floyd, or the Pink Floyd Experience?"
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
Not seeing either one. Not a new song between them.

Even Roger Waters is playing new songs. So that's where I'm going.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »

You seem to be implying that DT should be playing new songs on this tour.  If so, two things:
1.  They are.  There are songs from the latest album in the set.
2.  Since they just finished several legs of playing nothing but new songs, and THIS mini-tour is intentionally supposed to depart from that and celebrate their original classic album, there is no reason for them to feel obligated to play more than a couple of "new" songs. 

So I don't get where you are coming from.

Kinda the same with MP.  This particular project and mini-tour is designed specifically to celebrate the nostalgia of Mike's time in DT.  This group hasn't written any new material together and wasn't put together for that purpose.  There shouldn't be any expectation of new material. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
Plus DT is likely to play at least one song that has never been played live in the the U.S. (of course, I'm hoping for two).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »

You seem to be implying that DT should be playing new songs on this tour.  If so, two things:
1.  They are.  There are songs from the latest album in the set.
2.  Since they just finished several legs of playing nothing but new songs, and THIS mini-tour is intentionally supposed to depart from that and celebrate their original classic album, there is no reason for them to feel obligated to play more than a couple of "new" songs. 

So I don't get where you are coming from.

Kinda the same with MP.  This particular project and mini-tour is designed specifically to celebrate the nostalgia of Mike's time in DT.  This group hasn't written any new material together and wasn't put together for that purpose.  There shouldn't be any expectation of new material.

I suppose my comment was rather cryptic and subject to interpretation.  Sorry about that.

Obviously Dream Theater SHOULD be doing what they want and what makes them happy and in Mike's case that obviously seems to be what he is doing to me.  It's something he's wanted to do for a while and there are some fans who have wanted to see this live since even before the concept was completely written.  I'm happy for Mike that he gets to check another thing off of his list. I think he's coming from a completely genuine place with this.  But in my case, I've heard the songs (not together) live and I'd guess I'd consider half to be favorites maybe. So I'll admit to being spoiled over the years so knowing what this is going in plays a role for me. (as are the logistics of this particular one-off it's on a weeknight, but, again, it is what it is, and it's a choice that has to be made in the end.)

As for Dream Theater, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time they have gone on the road without an album (or even have a new song or tour in the set) to support.

It's certainly different for them, but they have celebrated anniversaries before with either one-offs or featuring an album in the set, but even then, there was something new.

I don't consider "The Astonishing" to be new having been released in 2016 and having supported it with a tour, but that could just be my definition of "new."

Also I may have this totally wrong but the optics are that The Astonishing Tour did not do as well as maybe the promoters were hoping and the band was offered a tour for the celebration of the Images and Words Tour as a way to stay on the road. Again, I've read NOTHING that this is the case but it seems that way to me.  There seemed to be a sudden switch in tactics. (Didn't the announcement happen about when they chopped a few new songs from the set?)

But as I've said, I've been kind of spoiled by this band (It's got nothing to do with if James can or can't sing the songs or that they aren't playing the album versions of the songs. (Actually that would be a point in favor of seeing them for me. James talking about the album and what it meant is another reason to go too, by the way.))

Maybe as a fan I shouldn't care about stuff like this and I know albums don't make money anymore and need to be supported by tours these days (Not the other way around as had been the case.) but it seems, to me anyway, (again I don't have facts to really support it, just some circumstantial evidence. But this is from the outside looking in.

But for me the bottom line is that hearing something new is always important to me when I go to a show (Not just Dream Theater) Comes down to personal choice I guess in the end I guess.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 06:47:30 AM »
Just got tickets for DT  :metal :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »
Just got tickets for DT  :metal :metal

Enjoy the ride....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
Shattered Fortress by miles. Take the setlist out of things a second, as Dream Theater are currently doing a tour that is tied to their most successful album, and the gap widens even more.

Shattered Fortress sounded better on a cruise ship than my last few in theater Dream Theater concerts. There was 10x the energy and interaction at Shattered Fortress. The performance is much more lively and less robotic at Shattered Fortress, fueled mainly by Portnoy's natural talents and his lack of click track. While Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida may not be *quite* as perfect as their counterparts, both do a great enough job that you aren't longing for Petrucci or Rudess. If they were playing the exact same set the only reason I'd go to see Dream Theater over them is to hear the material sung by the original vocalist.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
I can't really compare because one is newer. Fans tend to be more energetic at newer projects like this I feel. But it depends on what kind of show you enjoy. The laid backness, yet still rocking of DT or the more metal style of Shattered Fortress, you know this will be heavy based on the song its named after. Its built around the AA Suite so playing something softer wouldn't be wise.

I'd go to both but Shattered Fortress isn't coming close to here. This is the first time DT is doing an evening with here in NM. So thats where I'm going.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD