Author Topic: Why do people care what music critics think?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Why do people care what music critics think?
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »
Simple question.

I don't get why anyone cares what a music critic writes in a review.  They are the worst kind of media.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:22:17 PM by KevShmev »

Offline PowerSlave

Re: Why do people care what music critics think?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:21:06 PM »
Simple question.

I don't get why anyone cares what a music critics writes in a review.  They are the worst kind of media.

Opinions are all over the map, and some people like to hear those opinions whether they agree with them or not. It's like me and you with our music tastes, and views on sports. We've debated some things quite a bit from opposing positions, and even though we tend to disagree quite often, I still like to see/hear what you've got to say on the matter.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »
Unfortunately critics have some kind of public platform. I think it mattered more back in the day before streaming. All you had to go on was a review. There was no sampling. If you were faithful to a certain magazine, their reviewer might sway your attitude about a new release.

I think critics nowadays are far less vital. With podcasts and youtube and facebook, everyone is a critic and has a vehicle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
Because they are sheep and they think that if somebody proclaims himself "music critic" then he must be an authority on the subject and an expert. Is art subjective? Is music subjective? Are tastes subjective? If the answer is yes, why do we need to follow critics at all?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
Well sure, PowerSlave, but we are just two regular guys on an internet message board. :)

I should have clarified, but I meant professional music critics (see: dopes who get paid for their nitwit opinions).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »
If I listened to The Rolling Stone reviewers I would have never got into Rush.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:10:46 PM »
Unfortunately critics have some kind of public platform. I think it mattered more back in the day before streaming. All you had to go on was a review. There was no sampling. If you were faithful to a certain magazine, their reviewer might sway your attitude about a new release.

I think critics nowadays are far less vital. With podcasts and youtube and facebook, everyone is a critic and has a vehicle.

All very true.

Because they are sheep and they think that if somebody proclaims himself "music critic" then he must be an authority on the subject and an expert. Is art subjective? Is music subjective? Are tastes subjective? If the answer is yes, why do we need to follow critics at all?

Exactly.  It just boggles my mind when you see an album referred to as "critically acclaimed" or "critically panned," as if that means jack shit.

Rush is living proof that music lovers, by and large, do not care what critics think.  They were wildly successful despite always being critics' punching bag, until the last 10 years, when critics have finally given them their due, probably because they figured out that they will look (even more) stupid to not do so at this point.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 10:32:43 PM »
I don't go out of my way to read a review. But, I will read one at times out of curiosity. I don't take to heart or really consider what the review has to say. Unless they are the ones where their is no obvious bias, which usually describe the song being played.

Also, I don't understand either why people really care, or will dismiss an album based on that review without even bothering hearing it.

Its the same with expectations too. I found not to really expect anything from new music.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 12:13:27 AM »
Well, with so much music available for streaming/download nowadays, I think a music critic's writing might be helpful - it might make it easier for you to choose what to listen/not listen. Based on the style and content of the review, you might tell whether you are interested in listening to an album... or not.

In 2005 I read the Rolling Stone review of The Mars Volta's 2nd album (I think they gave it 4 out of 5 stars). I hadn't heard the 1st single yet, but I remember I became obsessed with wanting to listen to that album... just because of the review. Eventually I bought it, was blown away by it (I still think it's the best album from the 2000s), and became a fan of the band :)

I went through a similar experience in late 2014, when Sucker by Charli XCX was reviewed in the same magazine. The only thing I had heard from this girl was "Kingdom", a song she contributed to Lorde's soundtrack for Mockingjay part 1. The review of Sucker was useful for me because it described the style of the album as 'pop-punk', which "Kingdom" was not at all - plus, I was eager to listen to some modern pop-punk.

Cool album, by the way!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 12:35:44 AM »
I won't pay much attention to negative reviews, but if something is getting a lot of good reviews or a critic who's taste often matches mine likes something, I'll check it out. Not much difference compared to getting a recommendation on a forum or whatever.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 02:38:53 AM »
I wouldn't say I really care but it does affect me to a certain extent, same with movie reviews. If something comes out and it's getting amazing reviews across the board it makes me more hyped, similar to if it gets blasted by everyone then my own enthusiasm going into it will be lowered.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 04:24:07 AM »
For my generation (born in the late 1960's) pre internet, I relied on reviews, critics opinions and interviews to sway me to purchase albums.
I bought many albums based on critics reviews from Kerrang! magazine, some journalists I respected more than others and I eventually realised where just full of their own self inflated ego.

These days I don't really care about reviews, unless they are a total hatchet job, or just full of someone's personnel vendetta against a certain artist/band.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 04:41:25 AM »
As an occasional music critic, I agree. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 04:51:33 AM »
I find it interesting when people share their perspectives on music. Some people are especially good at it. It's fun to see or read someone else's take on an album, compare and contrast, maybe even find out something new about music you like or don't like.

There's no need to see them as pretentious, self-proclaimed experts. Most of them are just guys who share their opinions about music publicly. And if some people aren't sure what to think about something before a well-known critic shares his thoughts, that's not the critic's fault.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 05:03:57 AM »
Not really wirrying about critics..... I might be informed about music to check out through reviews but that is just for artists/bands that I have yet to hear.

Will be reding a lot more reviews now that I subscribe to Prog Magazine. Will probably find new music through those reviews.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 06:51:56 AM »
Mel Brooks wrote it best (and Orson Welles enjoyed narrating it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4lUcjUv37A
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:15:40 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »
I find it interesting when people share their perspectives on music. Some people are especially good at it. It's fun to see or read someone else's take on an album, compare and contrast, maybe even find out something new about music you like or don't like.

There's no need to see them as pretentious, self-proclaimed experts. Most of them are just guys who share their opinions about music publicly. And if some people aren't sure what to think about something before a well-known critic shares his thoughts, that's not the critic's fault.

But see, that's not real "criticism", in the classic sense of the word.    Critics back in the day weren't of the same ilk as today, where it's all about "opinion".   The best music critics (ANY critics, really) didn't just spew opinions.    They gave a standard, and compared that work to that standard based on other works in the genre and the setting/environment that the work was created.   That's party why I don't watch/listen to ANY of these morons that put out YooToob videos "critiquing" the latest release; they don't have the first clue how to do it.   Who's that heavy-set, bald English guy that drones on about albums these days?  Anthony Fasano?  No wait, he's a football player; I don't remember his name.  But he's no more a critic than Simon Cowell, who's no more a critic than my coffee cup.

Siskel and Ebert started the trend, unfortunately (I think Siskel in particular would have been very upset by this) when their critiques were reduced to merely a "Thumb's up!" or a "Thumb's down!".    Siskel and Ebert both LOVED movies with a passion and could tell you the evolution of film, the who's and the why's, and so when they said "Saturday Night Fever" was a legendary movie, it wasn't just because they liked it, or they thought Karen Lynn Gorney was hot, or the music was hip.    It was because they saw it in the context of other classic films that got to the heart of the subject matter (here, the yin and yang of the local big shot who's really a loser in the grand scheme of things, but enraptured by something far bigger than he is, or even his surroundings are). 

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 08:59:05 AM »
"Everyone's a Critic" -Sound Opinions

Offline bill1971

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »

Yes, being a Rush fan and Yes fan I learned very quickly to ignore critics.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 09:17:18 AM »
Interesting thread and perspectives. I come at it from a different angle, however. Before becoming an attorney, I started my career as a journalist. I covered entertainment/sports/fitness and then later I covered technology and public policy. In between all of that, however, I did a lot of freelance work (paid and unpaid) covering rock and metal for websites (including my own) and various publications.

So, technically, for a time, I was one of those "music critics," albeit not a well known or regular one.

Why should people care what critics have to say? Well, I mean the easy answer is just don't care, and form your own opinion. However, it goes deeper than that. If you've read what someone has to say, and he or she has the same basic tastes as you, reading what that person has to say can help sway your decision to buy something, or go see a show. Particularly pre-social media.

Nowadays, everyone can be a music critic because of smart phones, social media, etc. You don't technically need someone reporting on music, because with a little work, you can check out everything before you make your decision to buy a record or go see a show.

But, there's (at least for me) something still really cool about folks who are dedicated critics of music that enjoy the genre they are covering. They help me discover new bands. I was reading the latest issue of PROG over the weekend, and one critic/writer turned me on to a band I had never heard of, and would never have checked out had he not done a brief write-up on the band.

What really caught my eye was his short description of "grunge meets prog," and how the band sounds like Layne Staley fronting a band that combines TOOL/Porcupine Tree and other stylistic elements.

Had that writer not written that piece, and not used those words, I certainly would never have known about the band.

So, in a nutshell, while music critics might not be AS necessary as they once were in the pre-social media and information age periods, they still do serve a purpose, and help people discover new acts and make decisions.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:32:23 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »
You know...I'll read reviews for albums by bands I haven't heard. But that's usually if I'm randomly browsing and stumble upon an article or something.

Since people can now browse Bandcamp, Youtube, whatever streaming services, reviews are getting less important. Which may be why they're now opinion pieces.

As what has been said before. Everyone's a critic, some just write it down.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »
You're right Kev.  Some of them are the worst.  Interesting to read about sometimes.  But, for the most part, I don't care what they think.  Unless of course I agree with what they're saying.   :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »
Simple question.

I don't get why anyone cares what a music critic writes in a review.  They are the worst kind of media.
Simple question.

Do you care what other people on the internet/forum/real life says about an album/movie/sandwich? Why? Critics are no different, they just have the luck of being able monetise their opinions and thus get it out to a larger audience.

The simple answer is there's so much media and content out there that relying or utilizing the opinions of another source might be a good to narrow the list down to a more manageable amount and perhaps even find some new treasures. It's no different than relying upon the word of a friend or coworker or the opinionated and bearded internet dude who totally has his own blog dedicated to one-man black metal projects from Uzbekistan.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
I disagree fundamentally with the concept of one person's opinion being that of that media outlet, and the influence on the readers that that entails. They could have given the album to a different critic and got an entirely opposite reaction. Also, the whole thing of them giving "the final verdict" on whatever it is they're reviewing (particularly common in the classical music media). You're not special, mate.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »
Simple question.

Simple question.

Do you care what other people on the internet/forum/real life says about an album/movie/sandwich? Why? Critics are no different, they just have the luck of being able monetise their opinions and thus get it out to a larger audience.

The simple answer is there's so much media and content out there that relying or utilizing the opinions of another source might be a good to narrow the list down to a more manageable amount and perhaps even find some new treasures. It's no different than relying upon the word of a friend or coworker or the opinionated and bearded internet dude who totally has his own blog dedicated to one-man black metal projects from Uzbekistan.

But they ARE different, at least the good ones.  I get it's not a distinction that helps much, but it's the difference between the kid in Guitar Center who is trying to play "Smoke On The Water" - badly - and Steve Vai.   A "critic" ISN'T - or SHOULDN'T - just be someone who gets paid for what we do here for free.   That's not always the case - the "critics" from Rolling Stone largely don't qualify - but some of the more legendary ones - Robert Cristgau, Lester Bangs, etc. - aren't the same at all as the dork on YooToob saying the new Rush album is "bollocks".   That's meaningless and irrelevant. 

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
Simple question.

Simple question.

But they ARE different, at least the good ones.  I get it's not a distinction that helps much, but it's the difference between the kid in Guitar Center who is trying to play "Smoke On The Water" - badly - and Steve Vai.   A "critic" ISN'T - or SHOULDN'T - just be someone who gets paid for what we do here for free.   That's not always the case - the "critics" from Rolling Stone largely don't qualify - but some of the more legendary ones - Robert Cristgau, Lester Bangs, etc. - aren't the same at all as the dork on YooToob saying the new Rush album is "bollocks".   That's meaningless and irrelevant.
Yes, you're right, I didn't mean to imply that amateur and professional critics were unequivocally equal in all things, just that they fill the same general purpose:  giving their opinions on media. Of course the best critics, whether professional or otherwise, should bring extra knowledge and experience while contextualizing and examining whatever it is they're critiquing and then presenting it in a way that's both entertaining and informative. Sure, it doesn't happen all the time, but nothing's perfect.

But, still, I firmly reject that critics are irrelevant or meaningless. Even if nowadays, with the interwebs offering a platform to anyone with a camera and a keyboard, the professional side may not be as relevant as it was back in the days of Lester Bangs and Roger Ebert, they're still worthwhile to have around. Even Pitchfork reviews are worthwhile, if only as unintentional comedy pieces.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 11:49:33 PM »
Stadler, I refuse to believe you don't actually know how to spell YouTube.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 12:39:23 AM »
Perspective?

Sure, what people are saying about anyone being able to be a critic now is accurate, but in terms of professional criticism, the type of person that not only listens to but articulates their feelings about on a daily basis is a certain perspective that (like it or not) a lot of people are fascinated by. Let's just imagine that within the realm of (let's just say) pop music, there was a certain pattern happening throughout the charts that was fairly subtle. A casual music listener would probably just listen to the songs/albums & enjoy or dislike them on their own, but a critic has the added experience of having to have reviewed a ton of other songs/albums before that, & would have to have analysed them on a different level. Long story short, if the trend emerged in a lot of the critic's catalog, they'd probably catch themselves saying the same things about each one, & thus, has come to an understanding of the context that made that song/album work for so many people who may not have caught it. This is why (a lot of the time) you'll see when a critic reviews an album you enjoy & gives it a negative review, they'll probably call it "generic", "nothing special", or "yet another clone of [insert other artist here]". & while that can blur the line between introducing the right amount & completely overhauling everything, I think it supports my point that the added context of reviewing albums on a daily basis gives the critic a different perspective & makes them see things differently, which is what separates the professional reviewer from your average user on "YooToob". & in a sense, that's kind of why anyone can call themselves a critic nowadays - because now that we can listen to pretty much any album for free on Spotify, Apple Music, or YouTube, it's much easier to get to that state of being able to constantly experience something new, which adds to that "critic" perspective.

Now, do I think people should blindly follow critics' opinions without questioning anything for themselves? No, of course not, but that's not what they intend (or at least I hope so). I remember hearing a critic (I think it was theneedledrop) say that what he wanted his audience to do was watch the videos, then go listen to the album themselves, formulate their own perspective (though still acknowledging his points in the review) & then go support the artist if they enjoyed their work. & I agree with this wholeheartedly. A critic is only there to give another perspective to consider your judgement of the music from. If people are too blindsided by reviews to form their own opinion, that's their problem, but the intent is to form your own opinion while still considering the points the critic makes. & again, with the ease of access of music nowadays, I don't feel like that's too unlikely of an action to occur anyways.

TL;DR The position of a professional critic gives them their own perspective due to the sheer amount of music they listen to, but at the end of the day, that's all they're their to do - to give a perspective that the audience can ponder when they listen to the music itself. & just because they're not the be all end all of what you should think doesn't mean they have no purpose.

That's a false dichotomy

& false dichotomies are dumb

ok bye
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 06:33:33 AM »
Stadler, I refuse to believe you don't actually know how to spell YouTube.

I do; it's a bad habit; I used to post on a board that would not allow links like that, so we would write that.